10+ Year Old Account

grid for enemys?

Is there an addon that is like grid but for enemys. It would show you all the enemys in a grid box and let you click on the boxes to dps etc.... i think this is a genius idea if it isnt already available.

Try PvEFrames

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

You can directly access to your raid (by raid members interface, from lua) or their pets etc. However, only way to access to enemies (except at arena or bosses) is to mouseover, target, focus.

Now this is a tree. So, if one of your raid members target a non-hostile npc, that targets an enemy, enemy is accessible to you. That is, however, not the case most of the times. Therefore making such a grid addon too dynamic to be much of a use as people target swap etc.

Do you have any idea how it would be useful ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calomer View Post
    You can directly access to your raid (by raid members interface, from lua) or their pets etc. However, only way to access to enemies (except at arena or bosses) is to mouseover, target, focus.

Now this is a tree. So, if one of your raid members target a non-hostile npc, that targets an enemy, enemy is accessible to you. That is, however, not the case most of the times. Therefore making such a grid addon too dynamic to be much of a use as people target swap etc.

Do you have any idea how it would be useful ?
    Is there no way to have the addon like scan around you and apply them to the grid..... sounds to complicated for wow actually, but it would be cool and make targeting alot easier

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Is there no way to have the addon like scan around you and apply them to the grid..... sounds to complicated for wow actually, but it would be cool and make targeting alot easier
    The question is, how would that be useful? I can't see a practical use for having a grid of enemy targets on screen when you can see them in front of you. It would also encourage a lot of tunnel visioning as people would be more focussed on what was on this grid rather than what's going on around them.

Also, in most cases it would only be useful for what, Trash? Mobs in levelling areas? I can't see a genuine need for this sort of addon.

Deleted
    Not possible. 'Mobs around you' don't have a static unitID - we can only target them using /targetexact, which is extremely unreliable when multiple mobs with the same name are involved.

PvEFrames above looks useful but limited. I prefer TidyPlates instead. Assuming you want to keep track of DoTs on multiple mobs, etc, TidyPlates can do that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    Not possible. 'Mobs around you' don't have a static unitID - we can only target them using /targetexact, which is extremely unreliable when multiple mobs with the same name are involved.
    How do name plates work? Could you not move the name plates so they're not over mobs heads, but instead within a grid environment?

The biggest problem I'm having with my new priest at the moment is multidotting. My "TidyPlates:Threat Plates" overlap and I cannot pick the right one reliably. (If there is an option to prevent overlap on Tidy Plates I think I turned it off because it exploded all over my screen when large AoE packs turned up.) If I had a grid system, I would be able to click them one at a time and apply dots.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

The prevent overlap option is the closest you'll get while still being able to reliably target things. Moves about too much for me and presents itself as a flickering mess, so I just let them overlap. Personally, I just tab-dot on my moonkin. It's normally OK at not picking the same few targets repeatedly in a large group.

Deleted
    We can't move nameplates - we can only modify their content - they work by using 'mouseover' (which is a valid unitID).

If you have an issue with nameplates overlapping, you can always go into default interface nameplate setting and set the nameplate spread to stacking. That may not keep them directly above their heads sometime but you won't have trouble picking out individual plates.