What can I expect from this build?

anyway to improve and or save money?

plan on playing on highest resolution on a 27 inch

i.imgur.com/DggjG.jpg

Deleted
    Depends on what you want to play with it but it's a solid build as far as I can see. Not too much expertise with the Power Supply and the Case here on my side.
    Also, if you're getting the 2500k cpu already, why no aftermarket heatsink (not that that investment couldn't be taken later, just wondering)?

Edit: here is the clickable link:
    http://i.imgur.com/DggjG.jpg

whats a heatsink?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rampge1 View Post
    whats a heatsink?
    The CPU cooler. This is the one that will come with your order, and this is a high end cpu cooler (noctua nh-d14). There's many in between, but just to show you the bandwidth. Note: the intel cooler is about as big as the "pipe area" beneath the fan&radiator block of the nh-d14.

The one that will come with your CPU is ok, but the "k" with the "i5-2500k" indicates that that your cpu is unlocked to be overclocked, and you can overclock a lot higher with a stronger cooler (which by the way will most probably be quieter, too (or is it "more quiet"? sorry, late here.), due to larger fans and more heat transfer area).

But this investment does not have to be made right when you buy your rig. I still would consider it.
    Last edited by mmocdd8e41448a; 2011-11-03 at 11:08 PM.

whats a heatsink?
    The heatsink is also known as the cpu cooler... it cools the cpu... cpu's come with one but the stock one is usually pretty bad... getting an aftermarket heatsink like the corsair a70 will bring your cpu temps way down and give you some headroom to overclock. Generally not necessary if you're not overclocking, unless you live in a hot climate and don't run air conditioning.

The build itself is solid, except for the lack of a heatsink for overclocking of course.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Will this run SWTOR on super ultra max settings at 1920 x 1080?
    or do i need to upgrade a few more things?

budget $1200

First question: Why on earth do you have two threads for the same thing?

Second: You can't run SWTOR, everything maxed, on a 27" monitor for $1200. Over half of that is going to be tied up in your graphics card($330 or so) and monitor($300ish). Throw in your processor/motherboard($220+$115), another $50 for RAM, a windows license($100), Case($100+), PSU($70) and all the other odds and ends you'll need, like keyboard and mouse, and you'll top at around $1500.

Will this run SWTOR on super ultra max settings at 1920 x 1080?
    or do i need to upgrade a few more things?

budget $1200
    I don't know about "super max ultra", but you'll definitely get high settings.
    If you have the budget for it, it'd be worth upgrading the gpu to a 6970 or 580

Quote Originally Posted by JThelen View Post
    First question: Why on earth do you have two threads for the same thing?

Second: You can't run SWTOR, everything maxed, on a 27" monitor for $1200. Over half of that is going to be tied up in your graphics card($330 or so) and monitor($300ish). Throw in your processor/motherboard($220+$115), another $50 for RAM, a windows license($100), Case($100+), PSU($70) and all the other odds and ends you'll need, like keyboard and mouse, and you'll top at around $1500.
    I assume he already has the monitor or isn't counting that into his budget.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Man, what is it with you and the 580/6970? They're outstanding cards, but a 570 from Nvidia or a 2GB 6950 from AMD is quite capable of handling 1920X1080. At that resolution, a 580 or 6970 is a bit overkill.

edit - If you're dead set on that level of performance though, run 2x560ti in SLI; $400(around $100 cheaper than a 580) and they blow the single card solution out of the water.

Man, what is it with you and the 580/6970? They're outstanding cards, but a 570 from Nvidia or a 2GB 6950 from AMD is quite capable of handling 1920X1080. At that resolution, a 580 or 6970 is a bit overkill.

edit - If you're dead set on that level of performance though, run 2x560ti in SLI; $400(around $100 cheaper than a 580) and they blow the single card solution out of the water.
    It's not overkill at 1080p... running 2x 580's would be overkill. A single 6970 or 580 is fully utilized in a lot of existing games (and even more upcoming games) at 1080p.

I strongly disagree, and with the exception of games that are coming out right now, most benchmarks agree. BF3 is about all I've seen out there that you can't thrash with a 570 or a 6950 at that resolution. 1920X1200 is a whole other story though, and I would *still* recommend a less expensive SLI solution over a 580 any day of the week.

I strongly disagree, and with the exception of games that are coming out right now, most benchmarks agree. BF3 is about all I've seen out there that you can't thrash with a 570 or a 6950 at that resolution. 1920X1200 is a whole other story though, and I would *still* recommend a less expensive SLI solution over a 580 any day of the week.
    1920x1200 is only 2-3 fps difference compared to 1920x1080 at the same settings.
    And metro 2033 @ 1080p is also barely playable on maxed settings even with a 580.
    Skyrim is out in a few days... probably will be the same way.