Poll: Who will win in 1-on-1 combat: Dubmbledore or gandalf the White

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Gandalf has plenty of spells, he simply chooses not to use them most of the time for two main reasons. One, he feels no need to show off. He doesn't care what people think of him, he's not a glory seeking showoff. Two, it makes him tired, so it can be inconvenient, especially in a longer battle. This limitation doesn't apply nearly as much when he's Gandalf the White though.
    Actually, the Valar/Eru Illuvater forbade him from using his true powers as they wished him to lead Man though example rather than simply use magic to defeat all their enemies, lest it lead to growing conceit among them and weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbane View Post
    Actually, the Valar/Eru Illuvater forbade him from using his true powers as they wished him to lead Man though example rather than simply use magic to defeat all their enemies, lest it lead to growing conceit among them and weakness.
    I don't think that completely applies in extreme situations though, such as a random Balrog attack. And there are times in the books that he does fairly crazy stuff with his magic. All of those scenes conveniently never made it to the movies for some reason. He fires off magic that can be seen from miles away when he fights the Ringwraiths on weathertop. He immolates a whole tree to scare off a pack of wargs on their way to Moria. And if I'm not mistaken he incinerates a hell-hawk or two when Osgiliath is taken. That was the scene in the movies where he shined a flashlight from his staff at a hell-hawk, chasing it off so Faramir could get away. It was more of a blast of fire in the books, and I believe it either killed or severely wounded the hell-hawks.

I will admit it's been a while since I read that book, so I'm not 100% on the details. What I am sure of though is that it should have been about 10 times more badass than it was shown to be in the movie. Why does Hollywood have trouble with energy attacks? Couldn't get a decent kamehamheha wave in DB: Evolution either.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2011-11-04 at 02:46 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I don't think that completely applies in extreme situations though, such as a random Balrog attack. And there are times in the books that he does fairly crazy stuff with his magic. All of those scenes conveniently never made it to the movies for some reason. He fires off magic that can be seen from miles away when he fight the Ringwraiths on weathertop. He immolates a whole tree to scare off a pack of wargs on their way to Moria. And if I'm not mistaken he incinerates a hell-hawk or two when Osgiliath is taken. That was the scene in the movies where he shined a flashlight from his staff at a hell-hawk, chasing it off so Faramir could get away. It was more of a blast of fire in the books, and I believe it either killed or severely wounded the hell-hawks.

I will admit it's been a while since I read that book, so I'm not 100% on the details. What I am sure of though is that it should have been about 10 times more badass than it was shown to be in the movie. Why does Hollywood have trouble with energy attacks? Couldn't get a decent kamehamheha wave in DB: Evolution either.
    It's not really as extreme as you point out, but yes, he does throw around some badass stuff. Though as a Maiar, he is capable of far more. Once again, he was told not to make things 'too easy' for the West. Not that he could have defeated Sauron single-handedly, anyway, but still.