Thread: Inferno builds

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Inferno builds

Everything I've heard of inferno mode, defense and resistances needs to be as high as possible. I've been toying around with the skill calculator on the D3 website and theorycrafting builds to survive in inferno mode while still being able to clear out packs. Wanted to make this a thread for sharing your builds/thoughts on what will be viable in inferno difficulty. Any class build welcome. I linked some builds of my own but apparently can't put them in this thread until I've upped my post count a bit. I'll provide them as soon as i can.
    Last edited by Dispirit; 2011-11-04 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispirit View Post
    Everything I've heard of inferno mode, defense and resistances needs to be as high as possible.
    Well this depends on how much damage you will be able to avoid with a proper playstyle, tactics, use of skills and stuff. I didn't hear that you will be oneshot unless being def/resi capped.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Sacrifice View Post
    Well this depends on how much damage you will be able to avoid with a proper playstyle, tactics, use of skills and stuff. I didn't hear that you will be oneshot unless being def/resi capped.
    not saying you need to be "capped"...i'll search for the link but they were definitely saying they were stacking defense and resistances to survive.

edit: i actually can't post links but if you browse the D3 info from this passed blizzcon on youtube, pretty sure it's mentioned there.

I can confirm what Dispirit is saying. There was a blue posts about inferno level a while ago, and how you could stay alive. You need some defensive gear, but I think that you will find out yourself once you reach it. The monsters at inferno is so aggressive and has so many tools to try and kill you - that you can't avoid getting hit at all in certain groups, and some of them probably one-shot (or close to) if you don't have the proper gear. That's why they said at Blizzcon that they want you to farm hell before you can move onto Inferno. "Leveling-gear" isn't enough - not even for the super hardcore players I believe.

Remember, I don't have any proofs of this or anything, this is just how I understand it - from the things they have said so far. So if this turns out to be complete bullshit I am sorry. But I doubt it - as they have elaborated on it pretty much "already". :-)

Sounds plausible you won't be able to max your gear for pure DPS, so either you have to get enough survivability through gear or with a dedicated build. Or a combination of both, we will see.

Playing solo or not? Personally, it's probably most useful to go in with a team of 4, have someone tank, someone support, and two people do damage. I have no issues stacking my barbarian defensively if I have mates who can kill quickly while I get in the way, especially with personalized loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Playing solo or not? Personally, it's probably most useful to go in with a team of 4, have someone tank, someone support, and two people do damage. I have no issues stacking my barbarian defensively if I have mates who can kill quickly while I get in the way, especially with personalized loot.
    I'm speaking for solo runs. I'm pretty sure that even in groups you can't just let 1 person absorb everything. everyone will need some defense.
    Last edited by Dispirit; 2011-11-04 at 06:45 PM.

Best advice then, don't play melee without already having geared it. In all games melee have the fun ability to be both monstrously tough and deal damage, but they're also gear dependent, because they take hits while they give them. Start with a Wizard and you can go pure damage for the most part, it remains to be seen how difficult projectiles are to avoid in D3. And if companions really do remain viable throughout the entire game, you can have them tank for you.

Personally, a solo barbarian will probably have to make ample use of the heal abilities/runes (furious charge, whirlwind, rend, overpower, frenzy, revenge). The monk has a built in heal he can use, but doing so will lower his damage a lot due to the high spirit cost.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2011-11-04 at 06:48 PM.

My inferno idea is to not play the barbarian I was going to do for the rest of them.... I have a habit of killing myself with melee.

I'll probably be using a CD- and AoE-focused Wizard build at first, and try to get defenses from armor instead of one of the armor skills or any runes.

I'd like to think blizzard can balance the game enough that no class will have a noticeable advantage in inferno but i guess we'll see. barb and monk both have plenty of skills to enhance defense/dodge as well as self healing that should allow them to hold their own while taking some hits during solo inferno runs. i was hoping people would also contribute some links to builds they were considering in here as well =p

I don't think it's possible to balance melee and ranged. It's simple fact that the ranged can do damage without taking any if they play conservatively enough, and there is nothing melee can do about that.

In short, that's why I believe they gave barbarians and monks so many options for healing. However, it is also simple fact that every rune/ability you take for healing is one less you take for damage.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...kgU!Ugb!aYbZab
    Here's probably something along the lines of what I will do when I'm forced to play alone. Optional abilities are Ruthless passive and Revenge active, the rest is pretty much set right now. Of course, I'd probably hit up town and change builds to a much more single target build before I engaged bosses, mix/maxing and all that. Don't take the risk of going in with a less than perfect build playing the hardest difficulty on hardcore.

I don't think it's possible to balance melee and ranged. It's simple fact that the ranged can do damage without taking any if they play conservatively enough, and there is nothing melee can do about that.

In short, that's why I believe they gave barbarians and monks so many options for healing. However, it is also simple fact that every rune/ability you take for healing is one less you take for damage.

Here's probably something along the lines of what I will do when I'm forced to play alone. Optional abilities are Ruthless passive and Revenge active, the rest is pretty much set right now. Of course, I'd probably hit up town and change builds to a much more single target build before I engaged bosses, mix/maxing and all that. Don't take the risk of going in with a less than perfect build playing the hardest difficulty on hardcore.

your build was almost the exact same as what i thought up except i used different passives and call of the ancients so the barb wouldn't be the only guy being wailed on.

Call of the ancients is down so much more than it's up, seems like more of a bossing ability to me.

Call of the ancients is down so much more than it's up, seems like more of a bossing ability to me.
    you can rune it to last 55 seconds and passive skill to make the cooldown only 90 seconds...understand maybe not wanting to give up a passive for 1 skill though and who knows how powerful it really is.
    Last edited by Dispirit; 2011-11-04 at 09:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    h t t p :/ / us. battle .net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#gfYkXP!cba!aZZZYZ

can anyone please comment on my barbarian inferno build, what do you think i could improve and things like that? I went for some heavy healing build, with Whirlwind as the AoE attack of my choice.

also how many fury generator abilities do you guys usually get?

At least one fury gen, of course, no more than two usually.

This build is fine, but you're probably going to end up at fury cap quite a bit with nothing but whirlwind on command to use. I would consider either taking the passive that increases damage done when fury capped, or else switching something out for a spammable fury dump, such as hammer of the ancients.

10+ Year Old Account

This build is fine, but you're probably going to end up at fury cap quite a bit with nothing but whirlwind on command to use. I would consider either taking the passive that increases damage done when fury capped, or else switching something out for a spammable fury dump, such as hammer of the ancients.
    i see ! Well i figured i wouldn't be capped considering how much rage berserker's wrath use and there is also battle rage... but thanks for pointing that out!

what she said. You could probably switch ignore pain for something else for more damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Monk ftw :P
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...dSb!ZgX!ZaYcZZ

even with the recent changes, I can still sustain 68.5% dodge, spiking up to 93.5% for 3 seconds every 15, this is as well as having a no CD heal(which they've now made ALOT easier to use, it heals for a buttload less, but it's 25spirit, instead of 75, so you can get WAY more of them off, but 3 times as many, funnily enough ), and a 3second bubble on a 1min CD(with a nice lil heal on cast as well). Then for spells all my resistances are boosted to the level of my highest, so I can stack one(if that's possible) and it'll magically spread and buff all my other resistances as well
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...kgU!Ugb!aYbZab
    I was thinking of a build close to this but I took cleave and Ignore Pain, iirc.

Wasn't sure of how armor works yet in Inferno so I didn't plan on Warcry. Seems like a flat 65% reduction might go further than an armor boost.