Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Thumbs up And I shall call you SQUISHEE and SQUISHEE you shall be!

SQUISH. Plain and simple. I have always been a huge opponent to the exponential model that Blizz developed and decided they didn't know how to fix. At the end of the day, the game should be based on skill and not gear. If gear is what makes you destroy someone in pvp or something in pve then the game has failed in my opinion. More or less normalizing gear, rewarding players with slight increases for their 'performance', and and focusing on content... what a crazy idea.

As stated by Blizz, this will reduce the extensive amount of large numbers that the game has to compute during play, and therefore will reduce overall requirements needed to play the game on max settings. System/video lag will be reduced as a result, which of course they will fill up with more graphics but still, it will help overall. Yes, the transition may feel clunky or like a huge slap to the junk with dead fish, buttttttt it will be worth it.

Rip that bandaid off as fast as possible, you have my vote!

Deleted
    I think the best solution is to implement The Squish, but give max level players a buff in old instances/raids that scales relative to the expansion that instance or raid was featured in. The earlier the raid (e.g., Molten Core) the larger the buff, which would give an approximation of exponentially scaled power levels, while keeping The Squish working as intended in current content. The values should be easy to figure out (not that they're vital to the game's integrity anyway), and that seems like it should solve the issue of soloing old content while being easy to implement and maintain through future expansions.On the other hand, Mega Damage sounds awfully cool.

Deleted
    why do i get super angry every time i read a dev watercooler post.It's always along the lines of 'we fucked up countless times; this is why we change stuff'.Get items to increase 1 point of strength at a time, and it WILL be a compelling reward, since that will be the standard. I really couldn't care less whether my char has 10 or 20k intellect, all that matters is end result. IT's like they make changes for people whining, and then explain why they have to pedal back. No firemage should ever be close to 90% crit anyways, let alone 70%

They even said it themselves in the article : "squishing it seems logical, and works, it just feels weird." .. Squish it. It makes perfect sense and it WORKS. Not to mention some people forget the fact that from vanilla-bc-wrath they lost, while it may not be a significant amount but a loss none the less, players to the fact that they didn't want to see themselves just scaling so high with 150k hp. This can bring some players back. It also gives the game that old feel where stats actually matter, not oh hey I have 5k strength and this gem gives me 40... ok.. that 40 is near meaningless in 5k... Whereas say you have 500 strength and a gem gives you 8 .. that is is significantly higher then that 40 in your massive pool. Plus it will make stat choosing/gearing much much much simpler when your dealing with 10s instead of 1000s, not because of math but because when you need say 789 expertise to be at cap, and your gear will put you at 830 with the best reforging/gemming, you have a chunk of expertise wasted. Implementing the squish will make it easier to get the actual cap without wasting stats. BTW for all of you idiots who fail to read their actual post and instead just look at the graphs and colors and say " WELL NOW I CANT SOLO RAG WTFBBQPL0X!~!!!!11!1" Pro tip: read.. they specifically state that your squished fireball will still hit the mob for the same percentages as it does now meaning that they will also squish the mobs health/dmg output. If this post is TLDR.. heres the short story: Squishing will make it easier to stat balance Squishing will bring back players that quit because they didn't like to see themselves scale ridiculously, though this argument can be turned around. Squishing will STILL ALLOW YOU TO SOLO BOSSES BECAUSE THEY WILL BE SQUISHED AS WELL! Personally I hate seeing myself with more health then a boss that took 40 people to kill. And for all you people who want the mega crit thing... how about I make an addon that does that anyway and you can feel cool and go brag to the mage next to you that doesn't honestly care that you just "Mega crit" something. 100% in favor of the squish and just thinking about it makes the game fun again.

If I were to chose between the "Mega dmg" and item squish I'd definitely go with the item squish.. Numbers on items have indeed grown a lot not that I care for that but still. The mega damage idea sounds retarded to me.. I would much rather feel nerfed at the beginning of MoP because they have tuned the numbers on items down than to see, for example my Mangle doing.. 1 damage I'm sorry but that idea is plain stupid. Tuning items down is the way to go for me. (And yeah I'm one of those guys who likes to see big crits!)

Ok, so I just looked at the graph and it's not giving any data. It's plotting character level vs. ilevel, but ilevel isn't a measure of damage or health, its a randomly assigned number by Blizzard. I'm all for a gear reset, but please show some meaningful data, not some random graph that is void of any real data. The growth of the curve is thrown even more by the fact that we went from 10 levels an xpac to 5 lvls in Cata. If Blizzard wants community imput on the decision, please trust the community enough to give us real data on gear escalation and some real numbers regarding what a squish would mean.

I am appalled the amount of people in favour of the item squish idea.

It's kind of funny that I have see other posts where people complain that old content is so easy that it's no fun. They want scaled instances so old content doesn't get forgotten. Now all is see is people complaining that if they squish the numbers, they can't solo old content... some one needs to make up their mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Seregon View Post
    My main concern would be for soloing low level stuff as well... Soloing old world raids and dungeons isn't really something they should be supporting, but doing the item squish kinda throws that whole scene up in the air. Not sure I'd like that...

I agree here, but if they changed the item levels they could then change the boss levels as well. If they do that I'm all for the squish but I've never been one to care about meters in raids, just that the boss falls over dead and stuff drops. If you really need to see those beg crits mod a current floating text to add 00 to the end of all damage as it floats up.

The only problem I see with the whole thing is move from one range to another when leveling a new toon. Right now moving from one expac to another via questing there is a item gap which causes issues. I'd really would like to see the squish happen and then stay that way. so yes you don't see a 50 agi bump from one piece of gear to another a bump of 8-10 can be just as good as long as the rest of the game is balanced around it and that jump FEELS like a big upgrade.

As for itemization going forward instead of big numbers they could use smaller numbers staying with the squish but adding more fun proc based or on use.

Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post
    why do i get super angry every time i read a dev watercooler post.It's always along the lines of 'we fucked up countless times; this is why we change stuff'.Get items to increase 1 point of strength at a time, and it WILL be a compelling reward, since that will be the standard. I really couldn't care less whether my char has 10 or 20k intellect, all that matters is end result. IT's like they make changes for people whining, and then explain why they have to pedal back. No firemage should ever be close to 90% crit anyways, let alone 70%
    It would have been fine if they had done it all from the beginning, but like you said, they fucked up. Right in the post, they said that everyone that tested the squish said it felt "wrong". You'll get a lot of people leaving on just that alone, the whole feeling of being nerfed into oblivion, no longer being able to do the big numbers that they like to do. To all the people that say "Fine let them leave", get over yourself. More people leaving is ALWAYS a bad thing, and blizzard is in this to make money, not lose it. Something should definitely be done, but whatever they do, it's entirely possible that their sub numbers may not survive the change, that's why they have to do it carefully.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was bound to happen one day, and now we're approaching some ridiculous numbers, I say go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricsun View Post
    Wrong, everything will be "squished" down, mob HP, mob Damage, everything. It said right in the post, you'll still be doing the same % of damage to a mob, so their stats will be reduced by roughly the same amount as player stats would.
    People don't seem to be understanding this. Please look at the graph again. Cataclysm mobs would be scaled down, so we won't notice a difference when fighting EQUAL level mobs. Since our gear won't be exponentially better than lower levels, bosses in any raid will be impossible to solo. Currently we are about 300 item levels higher than level 60 raids. We would be about 100 higher according to the graph, in the best gear available at 85. The mobs are being adjusted for equal level players. They aren't going to adjust MC so 85s can roflpwn bosses there.

Quote Originally Posted by redocdlab View Post
    It's kind of funny that I have see other posts where people complain that old content is so easy that it's no fun. They want scaled instances so old content doesn't get forgotten. Now all is see is people complaining that if they squish the numbers, they can't solo old content... some one needs to make up their mind!
    Maybe, i dont know just an idea, those post were made by different people?

well this won't deflate stat value which means you will still hit for extreme numbers and have a high health pool.. i dont get why the numbers are such a big deal to me it sounds like " i dont want 1000 str on my chest piece make it 1k instead! despite the fact that its the exact same thing!!"

I vote for the squish down thingy... The numbers will decrease but they wont be as ridiculous as some gear was from 80-85!

I like the squish method exactly how its portrayed in the graph, ilvl has been increasing alot and gaps between tiers have been crazy they dont need to separate the tiers with that much stat difference. How BC was to vanilla is how every xpac should be.

I'd say Squish.Mega Damage seems just, silly. Think about it if you're changing 6million to '6 mega damage' you're not gonna fit 'mega damage' on the screen. So you're stuck with a 'crit' of 6 damage.You're DPS would be something silly, like 4dps. Yeah it's 4 MILLION DPS, but you prolly would see it in recount as a whopping 4DPS. Woot! I feel totally useless/silly now!Squish is the slightly-better option of the two. By the chart you'd bring Cata gear to BC ilvl/stat weights, then we'd go back into Wrath gearing for Mists. I liked Wrath ilvl/gearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please dear god, squish the living hell out of the stats. I honestly have felt this would be a good idea ever since the start of cataclysm, and i'm real glad that blizzard are looking into this problem. To me it just feels real awkward rolling around with 150k hp, and i'd be more than happy with going back to 20k as a tank.

They did this shit to themselves when they thought it wise to jump HP from roughly 30k in WotLK to 130k in Cata, and w/ that stat increases needed buffed to compensate for the ridiculous amount of HP the bosses have. IMO we should have been sitting @ about 50-60k HP @ 85, top end rather than 130-200k. I am for the Squish, but the QQs are going to be flying! It is all you are going to hear because 99% of ppl won't understand that you are ultimately doing the same amount of damage % wise and I will guarantee that they lose a shitload of subs for something just that stupid!

if it aint broke dont fix it you will just make it worse anyways blizzard.