Thread: gaming headset

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

gaming headset

Going to be heading down to my local Fry's later today to pick up a new heatsink. Unfortunately i know myself and there's no freaking way i'm only walking out of that store with 1 thing. So i ask, what are some solid gaming headsets? Brand wise i honestly enjoy Logitech, as far as peripherals go they make a solid product. I don't necessarily need a 120 dollar pair of noise cancelling beast machines, just something that works. Suggestions?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Plantronics Gamecom 377 and 777 headsets are pretty nice, comfortable, sound decent. (Decent to the non-audiophile.)
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    If you want the best, I'd suggest Sennheiser PC360.

For average, there are plenty to consider. The SteelSeries Siberia V2 are very popular, as are the Razer Carcharias.

For cheap, decent choices I'd probably suggest something like SteelSeries 4H, Koss SB45 or (if you prefer a neck-band) the Logitech G330.

i may go with a set of the carcharias. net terribly overpriced and a lot of the reviews on newegg look promising. if anyone else has any suggestions though i still have an agonizing 7+ hours till i can even go.

Siberia v2 is better than the Razer chachachas for gaming. Less awful for music as well.
    I'd scrounge up for more, obviously. But if you are allergic for that, or don't see the reason, non-USB version of Siberia v2. They are very comfortable, and the cord is fantastic, and not too awful for games.

can't find any but as an extra preference, not necessity, one with the nylon cord thing like most new gaming mice/keyboards have would be killer. Especially on headphones which tend to take a fair amount of abuse when moving around, putting them up/down.

Deleted
    Honestly, the brand doesnt matter, they all sound the same.
    Razers have the tendancy to break quite easily, from what I hear.
    At the store there should be noname branded headsets. Take your pick from those IMO, most game-branded headsets are usually all show and no substance. (And while some might have attractive and nice features, they usually aren't worth the premium you pay for them.)

I have a carcharias, sounds fine and mic works great.

I got the 2yr warranty in case anything happens to it(like 8 bucks? totally worth it), had it for about a year now though, everything is perfect.

p.s. im jealous, frys is like disneyland for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sazdek View Post
    i may go with a set of the carcharias. net terribly overpriced and a lot of the reviews on newegg look promising. if anyone else has any suggestions though i still have an agonizing 7+ hours till i can even go.
    I'm using a pair of razer carcharias. I would suggest getting them, the most comfortable headphones that I've ever worn. Great sound quality, and comfort at a great price. You won't be disappointed.

thanks guys ^.^

i was tempted to order a pair of the higher end razer headphones since they're like suzuki green. it would make my wife piss herself in jealousy. alas another 40+ dollars for color isn't really feasible.

my gf bought me the wireless WoW headphones (i wouldn't have bought it with my own money).. they're alright, i guess,.. kinda bulky.. and the plastic is flimsy.. make sure you dont drop it on any hard surface.. i do like the voice mods, the detachable mic and the fact that it's wireless (i've wasted hundreds of dollars on headphones only to break em by tripping on the wire or some other stupid thing i've done to break em)

if i were to buy new ones w/ my own money, i would get razer or sennheiser.. i like sennheiser's audio quality.. but some of their products are kinda cheaply made and overrated

i love my turtle beach px21's for my ps3.. those are very comfy.. but i dont use it for my pc

Bought the Cacharias after a fun (200 dollar) trip to Fry's. I must say these are insanely comfortable. Like pillows over my hears that lovingly deliver thumping bass with each gunshot. thanks for the help guys, so far in my first couple hours of use i have to say these are some killer headphones. Also the Cooler Master 212 Hyper Evo is an awesome heatsink ^.^ runs quiet as a mouse fart and keeps my system around 30-40 degrees celsius.

Fuzzeekee
    I have many many RSS feeds keeping me up to date on gaming headsets, hardware, and even embedded development boards. I have looked at most of these people are talking about in this thread. My personal choice is IRRELEVANT to this discussion as I own a logitech g35....But anyways I wanted to suggest this. This looks great for 80-100$ and I kinda wish I had bought this vs paying 160$ for my fancy USB one. In fact the box haunts me every time I walk into the store again lmao.

Sony DR-GA200 PC gaming headset

(it doesn't let me post links yet but you can google it. THE ONLY difference between this and the GA500 model is one will come with a special 7.1 channel audio box. And honestly it doesn't matter a whole lot. You could get by fine with only 2 channel...Headset 7.1 emulation is not very accurate, but it was just a bonus with my headset. Ialso have silly voice morphs I can use on vent which is kinda cool in a way even though you can just D/L software that does it for you...)

TLDR: The main thing you should be concerned about is comfort, construction, and having decent sound quality....Buying a cheap headset means it's going to break and you'll replace it much sooner. ALSO what the moderator said: Sennheiser is pretty much the best, yet pricey.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to literally rip apart my Gamecom 377's with a screwdriver and chisel (see if I can salvage the microphone) once my Logitech Desktop Mic arrives tomorrow. Those things got so insanely uncomfortable and HOT after just 15 mins (and I have a pretty small head and NZ is a cold place) I realized that 99% of the time I would just have them around my neck just to use the mic, perfectly happy with sound coming from speakers.
    Because that's all you need from a headset really, a decent goddamn MICROPHONE. Buy a set of nice speakers or audiophile-grade headphones if you enjoy your sounds and use a separate mic, it's the best way to go about it IMO for gaming/chat purposes.

Anyway, glad you enjoy your Cacharias (who came up with that name anyway?), hope they last!
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-11-05 at 07:33 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

I own the razer carcharias...I bought the turtle beach modern warfare: charlie...and went back to razer carcharias. THe truth is that the Carcharias does not sound as great as some other headphones but they make up for it in comfort if you plan on wearing them for over an hour. They still sound good too. My complaint about them would be that they dont have a USB option so you cant have like skype in your ears and music on your speakers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzeekee View Post
    Headset 7.1 emulation is not very accurate
    I'm using a pair of AKG K242 HD (stereo headphones) myself together with the Dolby Headphones feature of my ASUS Xonar DX and I get a much better surround experience compared to my friends 7.1 USB headset. Surround gaming headsets are primarily a gimmick because we don't have seven (or five) ears. We pick up sound from multiple locations to two microphones (ears) and latency, volume and sound pressure determine where the source is located. This can be replicated with stereo headphones (emulated) much better than a 7.1 headset can. Check out this video for a more detailed explanation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQmQD27uCt0

Quote Originally Posted by lasheric View Post
    My complaint about them would be that they dont have a USB option so you cant have like skype in your ears and music on your speakers.
    You could just pick up a USB soundcard and it would essentially turn it into a "USB headset".

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow can't believe no one mentioned the Astro A40's. Easily the best gaming headset available if you don't mind spending the money.

You can run two things off of even the integrated sound cards as long as your case has front-panel connectors, without a USB-adapter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabuks View Post
    Wow can't believe no one mentioned the Astro A40's. Easily the best gaming headset available if you don't mind spending the money.
    While good, hardly the best. But I don't think he wanted to spend the money, so why would people advice it?

Fuzzeekee
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I'm using a pair of AKG K242 HD (stereo headphones) myself together with the Dolby Headphones feature of my ASUS Xonar DX and I get a much better surround experience compared to my friends 7.1 USB headset. Surround gaming headsets are primarily a gimmick because we don't have seven (or five) ears. We pick up sound from multiple locations to two microphones (ears) and latency, volume and sound pressure determine where the source is located. This can be replicated with stereo headphones (emulated) much better than a 7.1 headset can. Check out this video for a more detailed explanation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQmQD27uCt0

You could just pick up a USB soundcard and it would essentially turn it into a "USB headset".
    Yeah you could even just use HDMI with an AVR if you wanted and probably get better results then WITH ANY OUTPUT SETUP YOU WANTED TOO....If you want x "sound". But yeah...7.1 channel through USB = not so good. It's still ok...If I really cared though I would have my rackmount DSP unit (old yamaha SPX 900 series, which it may sound like I am throwing numbers at you but I have programs like early reflection, aural exciter, almost every reverb simulation possible with wall variance settings + dynamic filter eq, that's not even more than a few of the things it has.....even though this is an old unit from 1989.) hooked up to something like TC powercore, or some crazy DSP unit with extra modability like TC's mastering suite...... But honestly isn't the experience of sound purely subjective and based entirely on awareness? THE QUESTION IS ON THIS FORUM, HOW would THESE people tell the difference. I could but that's not easy? Almost all of the time it's the processing of fixed sound files that limits our experience, when in fact, you could really just be listening to an mp3 at 128kbps with lots of post-processing, and then all your audiophile grade stuff can be trivial. It's like tonewood in guitars. I mean I'm not denying some are better, but honestly build quality is more important...It's almost like comparing a master grade white limba (kornia) quartersawn blank ...to an alder one...The tone is so similar. (of course this is off topic, but that's the reason why I use USB at the moment, I'm not that interested in audiophile stuff unless its with musical instruments. I can see it going really far with music, but games. There is a limit where convenience and value come up sharp against serious audio quality...I use alder in my guitars and EMG X series pickups - noiseless pickups. But I don't really care about wiring an extra 9vlt battery for more headroom. I already have lots since the X basically means even less noise than before. Even the regular active ones are fine...I use DSP mixed with a 12ax7 powertube )

....Since we are on the topic if you wanted to go even farther you could code your own custom DSP processor in VERILOG on a cheap XILINX chip with transceivers and make your OWN audio interface that would need none of these things and just SELL it to everyone, and everyone would buy it if the marketing was right and you had either a.) expensive tools like altium (b.) experience hand-coding DSP for audio .... In fact it could do anything since it's an FPGA (which is mostly full of hard IP blocks and multiplexers to emulate digital logic gates -> AND, OR, NOT )...

I would recommend that you stay away from the razer carcharias. I have 3 friends who use them, and with each one, sound quality is meh at best, and the microphone picks up EVERYTHING. I can hear the sound coming out of their headphones at medium volume through their own mic. Plus the overall mic quality is meh.

The headsets I can recommend from experience are as follows.

Steelseries Siberia v2 - Good sound, good mic, comfortable, and (IMO) great looking.

Astro A40 - This is my personal headset and I really think its worth the money. If you have the extra cash, the feature set you get with the mixamp, and the overall build quality and sound quality are absolutely worth the money.

And thats about it. I went from a garbage logitech wireless pair to a40s a little over a year ago and haven't found anything that matches up.