Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #21
    I am Murloc! The Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Merry ol' England.
    Posts
    5,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Protectus View Post
    Hating WoW is like hating e-mail/facebook/text messaging when your used to "writing a letter".
    No, you don't understand what I am asking, saying basic buzzwords like "It's WoW 2.0" and "It has an amazing story" don't work and are not what I am asking for, these are hype and from some things that are allowed out of the NDA, are bullshit.

    I don't hate on ToR, I am Skeptical about it, it says many things but doesn't show them well at all.
    "What do you seek within the mountain?"

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Babaganouch View Post
    Let me explain what I ment, Im sick of the Universe itself - Orcs, Azeroth, Undead, Arthas, Blizzard etc. etc but I do enjoy the hotkey model (always have, always will)
    This probably applies to a lot of people. I'm fine with a hotkey mmo but I do have issues with the trinity gameplay in a Star Wars setting.

    As far as this topic is concerned, as I said in another thread, I enjoy BioWare games. I understand the OP is not that much of a fan of them, that's ok as we all have different tastes. I do agree that I'd rather have a KOTOR 3 than an mmo but hopefully this game will give me much of what I wanted. Yes, I'll be playing for mostly a single player experience. I am undecided on whether I would pay a sub for the game though. After the initial month of play I'll decide if it's worth to continue on or not.

  3. #23
    You are merely unable to see from a different perspective without still having preconceived notions. For instance, some people just like the Star Wars theme. Some others might like just a change of scenery from WoW. Others like the trinity. There are a lot of things beyond the few complaints you level against it. They aren't insignificant complaints, but their value to others likely isn't likely the same.

  4. #24
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    18,514
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    I think what people wanted as a KoToR 3, me myself included in those.

    an MMO setting cannot supply that feeling at all, especially under the warcraft model.
    In all honesty, I do not worry too much about this. People want to play this because the videos they see look great, because they get great previews, because they are in the beta...because they like SW.

    However, for me personally the "I like SW" argument means: I like the SW of Eps 4-6, I am appalled what Lucas made of Eps 1-3 and I have no emotional connection to the books, the old Republic and whatnot. In that aspect, SWoToR to me is just a MMO in space.

    And considering George Lucas is probably involved in this (it is SW product after all), I find it rather amusing when people leave WoW because they are unhappy with the loretwists or things like merchandise that is sold as tie in with the game. Well, it would be less amusing if those people left WoW for another franchise, but seriously...for SW, that is constantly re-invented (look at all the different cuts and restorations and re-cust of the original films) and every single item in the films turned into a merchandise dollar.

    Will be interesting to see if SWoToR is going to be spared of this.

    But that is just my two cents beyond the videos and previews I have seen and that do not appeal to me. I still wish everyone who choses to join the Sith or the Empire fun in the game. At least Boware has proven in the past they are capable of making good games and I have spend my fair share of hours in Baldur's gate.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  5. #25
    The Lightbringer vian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Random
    Posts
    3,058
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    When all it is really is a Warcraft clone, despite what people say.
    I would go further back and say that WoW was just an EQ clone.
    Battlefield is just a Wolfenstein 3D clone.
    SCII is just a Dune clone.

    I detest these comparisons and statements. :/

    Unless developers starts new genres with every game released, this discussion will always be on the board.
    Last edited by vian; 2011-11-04 at 08:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

  6. #26
    I am Murloc! The Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Merry ol' England.
    Posts
    5,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    When you make a business, sales are the only thing that matters. Business isnt good for Blizzard because they release a sub par product.
    game sales do not make a good game, it merely shows the game had good marketing.

    And I am asking what makes Bioware so more inclined to make ToR a success, after they have shown in Mass effect 2 and Dragon age that their writers make god awful products?
    "What do you seek within the mountain?"

  7. #27
    Scarab Lord Firebane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In a Bordeaux vineyard
    Posts
    4,141
    As soon as you use the term "wow clone" you're bashing the game in my book.

    It's hard to accept that people like different things right ?
    Because that's what this all boils down to.
    I for one am really stoked for it.

    Awesome juggernaugt of MMO talent ... really ? BC / WotLK maybe. But not cata. Cata destroyed the game for me and many others. The game isn't garbage, bit it just isn't for me. Maybe Star Wars just isn't for you. Let it go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    I'm just being a smart ass at this point.

  8. #28
    As was stated before, you are just spouting your opinion. You are using your opinion to prove everyone else's is wrong. You state 'all the people I know' which has to be in the millions right? Because that is the only way possible it could possibly be looked at as fact.

    SWTOR isn't revolutionary or really all that evolutionary. But it's completely different than WoW with a lore that is known and loved all over the world. MY opinion (and I'm in the beta) is that I enjoy it and all the people I know like it too. So that must mean it has to be fact, right?

    Bob

  9. #29
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    18,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Business isnt good for Blizzard because they release a sub par product.
    /sound of jaws hitting desktop.

    Ooookaaaaay...business isn't good for a company that holds the largest sub base in an MMO over 7 years. Unprecedented numbers too. In three franchises. Yeah, right.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  10. #30
    The Lightbringer Beazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,222
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    game sales do not make a good game, it merely shows the game had good marketing.

    And I am asking what makes Bioware so more inclined to make ToR a success, after they have shown in Mass effect 2 and Dragon age that their writers make god awful products?
    ME2 was pretty damn fun, not sure where you get that its a god awful product. And game sales do matter when you crush the competition by 80%. If there was another 'PAY TO PLAY' mmo with numbers even CLOSE to wow, then your argument might hold some watter. But there isnt, the people have chosen the better game with their wallets.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    game sales do not make a good game, it merely shows the game had good marketing.

    And I am asking what makes Bioware so more inclined to make ToR a success, after they have shown in Mass effect 2 and Dragon age that their writers make god awful products?
    That is quite the hyperbole there.

  12. #32
    The Lightbringer Beazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,222
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    /sound of jaws hitting desktop.

    Ooookaaaaay...business isn't good for a company that holds the largest sub base in an MMO over 7 years. Unprecedented numbers too. In three franchises. Yeah, right.
    I think you might be misreading, Im saying they are doing the best business of all pay to play MMOs combined. Proving the fact that the people will pay to play a superior product.

  13. #33
    Scarab Lord Trollsbane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    4,484
    Fiend, the reason you get in trouble is exactly what you are doing here. You ask a question, get answers, then tell people their answers suck and are wrong. Your opinion is yours, and it is not universal.

    My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

  14. #34
    What I don't understand is people like The Fiend. Different people have different tastes and want to play what they want to play. Get over it. Wth does it matter.

    Personally, I will pick up ToR and GW2. Are they going to be the next big thing, or even any good? Hell if I know. I'm a gamer, so I'll try the games out. If they suck, oh well. It's not like there is a shortage of games to play.

    You'd have to be completely ignorant or completely biased to not think a company like bioware and a franchise like Star Wars could possibly do great things.
    /thread

  15. #35
    Why bother coming into the SWTOR forum and bashing the game? Easy answer is you are trolling and looking to start a flamewar. The "WoW in space" term people throw around is inaccurate and ridiculous. Everything you know about the game is based of videos and information, maybe some leaked info from a beta tester that never made it off their starter world. When the game launches, play a class until 20 or so, if your opinion is the same, oh well but at least you'll have actual experience with the game to back up your wild claims and blanket statements.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    game sales do not make a good game, it merely shows the game had good marketing.

    And I am asking what makes Bioware so more inclined to make ToR a success, after they have shown in Mass effect 2 and Dragon age that their writers make god awful products?
    Stating your opinion as fact, doesn't make it fact. People enjoy'd Mass Effect and Dragon Age, surprising isn't it? I know it's hard to understand that people can like what you dislike.

    This whole thread so far has been a war of opinions. Lock this before it gets out of hand please.
    I'm actually looking for money, work is just an unwanted side effect.

  17. #37
    Is this a 5-minute argument or the full half hour?

  18. #38
    I am Murloc! The Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Merry ol' England.
    Posts
    5,553
    [QUOTE=voorshwa;14072110]

    SWTOR isn't revolutionary or really all that evolutionary. But it's completely different than WoW with a lore that is known and loved all over the world.[/QUOTE

    See, this is what is confusing me the world over about this, people say it's not revolutionary or all evolutionary, yet turn around and say it's completely different when people say it's a "WoW clone".

    I don't mean offence by that, it's a good system to follow as a basis of your MMO, but when you follow it too closely, it starts to show, ToR does this to an extreme degree and it puzzles me why people shout out this amazing things it does, when it really does little.

    If people want to play it due to the setting,l thats awesome, I like ToR setting myself and if they like the more single player experience, thats fine too, I am just trying to see why they would do this. Maybe I am just mistyping what I am trying to say but, I just want to understand why people are hyped for the game and hold it in such a high regard when, based on what I have seen.. it isn't so specially amazing.
    "What do you seek within the mountain?"

  19. #39
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    18,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Temeluchus View Post
    Why bother coming into the SWTOR forum and bashing the game? Easy answer is you are trolling and looking to start a flamewar.
    In all fairness, that is a pretty blanket accusation. And even if you only joined 2 months ago, you should have been aware what is happening in the WoW General forum. People trampling over WoW and making "I quit" and "The game is boooring" threads again and again. Not counting the daily "MoP is gonna SUUUUCK" threads.

    Unless you are only allowed to bash a game you are subbed to? Do people have to wait until SWoToR is released and the subs start criticising their own game?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  20. #40
    Hey look everyone, its The Fiend, who knows if he even sets foot in the SWTOR thread, he will be banned again. So now he has to make a separate thread about how he hates ToR. Blah blah yada yada.

    Dude, seriously, people will play it because they like play style, the Star Wars franchise, the developer, etc etc. Thats why people play games iirc. I mean if I'm wrong please prove me wrong....

    Hate on it all you want. Hate on the people that want to play it all you want. Hate on the developer all you want. Hate on the franchise all you want. The game will still be played. End of story.

    Before you start with the fanboy crap... I plan to play your beloved GW2 and SWTOR. Why? Because both games look fun to me.

    Fucking hell you annoy me....

    and for the first time in my mmo-champ history, someone gets ignored.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •