Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Going off topic here but the writing was fine. DA2 had problems (reuse of environments, stupid encounters, use of the mass effect conversation wheel among other things) but writing wasn't one of them. You may not have liked the style of the game it was (a personal one rather than the typical save the world cliche) but the writing was fairly good.
    Like I have said before I always commend Bioware even recent bioware on Writing good themes, arching story plots and enviroments, but it's always the characters that seem to let me down in writing. ( "I want to be the dragon" and the whole Anders romance thing ) It may be my opinion but it's rather sound, the characters in Dragon Age felt less memorable and more bland and based about single character quips than those in Dragon Age: origins, and Mass effect 2, while better than Dragon Age.. it feel a little pointless in the overarching plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinoashi View Post
    Hey look everyone, its The Fiend, who knows if he even sets foot in the SWTOR thread, he will be banned again. So now he has to make a separate thread about how he hates ToR. Blah blah yada yada.

Dude, seriously, people will play it because they like play style, the Star Wars franchise, the developer, etc etc. Thats why people play games iirc. I mean if I'm wrong please prove me wrong....

Hate on it all you want. Hate on the people that want to play it all you want. Hate on the developer all you want. Hate on the franchise all you want. The game will still be played. End of story.

Before you start with the fanboy crap... I plan to play your beloved GW2 and SWTOR. Why? Because both games look fun to me.

Fucking hell you annoy me....

and for the first time in my mmo-champ history, someone gets ignored.
    I'm sorry to say this, but imo whatever The Fiend just said that was offensive to ToR fans just got blown out of the water by this totally offensive post.

There are more civil ways to say you don't like somebody then "Fucking hell you annoy me". I agree with The Fiend in a number of things that he's said, people are going "TOR STORY" when George Lucas completely blows away even Knaak in terms of bad story (I loved 4-6, not a fan of 1-3), they say new revolutionary gameplay when it really copy's a ton of stuff from WoW, so the only real different thing is scenery, and I guess it's ok if you can play for that.

And no, I'm not a WoW fanboy. I'm subscribed to ToR because I want to test it, (I faking loved kotor 1 so I might get it).

lol Fiend you are like the Bill O'reilly of MMOCHAMP. That's not a compliment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    What gets me about ToR is people preached up and down on every website that because of FF14, Aion, WAR they would be so much more careful before they throw money at a over hyped mmorpg. Is that not exactly what people are doing with ToR?

It simply does not process in my head how people think it is ok for them to keep the NDA up to release date. That is the same crap FF14 did and they lost 90% of their playerbase in one month.
    Thats kind of what I am trying to say, it feels like ToR has been "confirmed hard" to be great, yet it seems to be in the same boat for failure the others where. I would personally enjoy it maybe in 3 months time when the birthing pains are done as it currently goes along with development, but I am not shambling over myself to paint myself blue and run around with tights on my head shouting "Mucha shaka paka" just yet. A little dramatic, but it feels like the impact of what it causes.

Well they did take a gamble in the style of game for DA2. Usually BioWare has the predictable save the world plot and they deviated from it. Some hated it, I appreciated what they were trying to do. I do think they could have implemented it better but I can't place the blame on the writers there, just the game designers.

Yeah I didn't like that conversation wheel, that choice "I want to be a Dragon" didn't even go with what the character said. The Anders romance didn't bother me, you always had a choice with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dleet View Post
    lol Fiend you are like the Bill O'reilly of MMOCHAMP. That's not a compliment.
    The same can be said about the ToR posters on the General Forums that are going around to WoW forums and hating, or those that are posting in the latest "I QUIT WOW BCUZ IT SUCKZ" right now. Your side isn't spotless and neither is the WoW side.

Some of you people (especially the OP) are being really over complicated in trying to figure out why the hype is big .... its simple. PEOPLE LOVE STAR WARS and PEOPLE LOVE MMOs...... Ever since I started playing everquest back in 2000 I wanted a Star Wars equivalent.... and SWG came out, I loved it for a few weeks maybe a month but unfortunately they released it with no content.

This game looks to have plenty of Content. I would love a WoW clone in the Star wars universe. ..... Remember the first time you ran around in Azeroth in the beta or first week of playing Vanilla? it was just amazing to be in that environment in 3D playing your own character.....

Take the appeal for what it is, people want a good star wars mmo and this looks like it will be just that. nothing more, nothing less..... Even if SW:TOR sells only 1 million copies, it will be enough to fund them.... look at games like Rift.... not the best game but its not bad by any means, it doesnt have WoWs level of subscribers but it has enough to fund itself and entertain the people playing it.

No one is trying to dethrone WoW with this game but I think alot of people love star wars and would gladly take a break from the repetitiveness of WoW when raid content is on farm to play this new game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    It just confused me, why people would want this in the first place, when all it does seem to be is WoW with Mass effect parts cut into the game.
    You answered your own question. A clone of the best MMO of all-time cut with pieces of one of the best RPGs period of all-time. You just described my magic christmasland dream game.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    In all fairness, that is a pretty blanket accusation. And even if you only joined 2 months ago, you should have been aware what is happening in the WoW General forum. People trampling over WoW and making "I quit" and "The game is boooring" threads again and again. Not counting the daily "MoP is gonna SUUUUCK" threads.

Unless you are only allowed to bash a game you are subbed to? Do people have to wait until SWoToR is released and the subs start criticising their own game?
    No one should be pointlessly bashing any game, sure give constructive criticism but don't bash. If you see people bashing WoW then report them, let the WoW forum mods deal with it, if they don't then tough luck they're obviously not doing what they signed up for and were chosen to do. Just because you see people bashing WoW doesn't really give the WoW fans a free pass to come and bash other MMOs especially in their own sub forum, these people will most likely receive their deserved infractions/bans. Bashing one game or fanbase because someone from another game or fanbase bashed yours doesn't really do anything to help the problem, it just makes forums more hostile.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Well they did take a gamble in the style of game for DA2. Usually BioWare has the predictable save the world plot and they deviated from it. Some hated it, I appreciated what they were trying to do. I do think they could have implemented it better but I can't place the blame on the writers there, just the game designers.

Yeah I didn't like that conversation wheel, that choice "I want to be a Dragon" didn't even go with what the character said. The Anders romance didn't bother me, you always had a choice with it.
    I always run through and do every choice, I wasn't so "outraged" by it as much as just looking at myself and thinking "are they reading it from a sheet of paper?"

It was mostly the Writers for Dragon Age 2 that had a huge drop in character development, I would have been fine otherwise and a little more optimisitic for ToR if they didn't bring them over to work on ToR quests.

---------- Post added 2011-11-04 at 08:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    You answered your own question. A clone of the best MMO of all-time cut with pieces of one of the best RPGs period of all-time. You just described my magic christmasland dream game.
    I'd hardly call Mass Effect the best MMO of all time, but what I was trying to say is that they might not fight together so well, and the conversations might eventually turn into boring tedious things in the MMO style of game.

---------- Post added 2011-11-04 at 08:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    No one should be pointlessly bashing any game, sure give constructive criticism but don't bash. If you see people bashing WoW then report them, let the WoW forum mods deal with it, if they don't then tough luck they're obviously not doing what they signed up for and were chosen to do. Just because you see people bashing WoW doesn't really give the WoW fans a free pass to come and bash other MMOs especially in their own sub forum, these people will most likely receive their deserved infractions/bans. Bashing one game or fanbase because someone from another game or fanbase bashed yours doesn't really do anything to help the problem, it just makes forums more hostile.
    I am not trying to bash the game itself, I just don't see why it's so amazing and I want to see why people think so.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    So you don't enjoy the warcraft universe.

But will pay for a game that is practically the warcraft universe thats in space? ( but with no space )

You can see why I am puzzled, the game is basically the same both ways, but people laud it as an amazing peice of development.

---------- Post added 2011-11-04 at 07:54 PM ----------

Some people are easily entertained then I guess.
    This is nothing like the warcraft universe at all, What part of this game, other then some similarities in game play make it sound like the warcraft universe?
    And the warcraft universe is now getting pandas and pokemon, no thanks.

Two words: Selective Perception
    This argument is pointless and so are the SWTOR VS. WOW threads.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Yup - all true. However, click the link I replied to, it was an answer to a guy stating the OP was only here to "bash" SWoToR. And I don't see the first post a mindless bashing (One of the mods of this forum has been in this thread and reminded the OP that his following answers were a bit off - but the only one who went off course in this thread was IMHO the Shinoashi guy who raged "fcking hell annoy me", because somebody dared to disagree with SWoToR)
    Trollbane was right in that I do seem to say other people's Opinions are "wrong", I am just skeptical about ToR because I am sat extremely on the fence about it, it has many factors I like and many I don't, it could fall either way for me so I try not to keep up any hype for the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel you OP. i was super excited for this game, and then I got into beta... glad i did because I don't think I will be purchasing this game after playing two beta periods now. And honestly it has nothing to do with the game at all, but the community. I thought wow community was crap lately but it's nothing compared to the super nerd douches in beta. But the game does feel pretty lifeless compared to other MMOs honestly. Just my thoughts.

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

You guys do know that you can skip every single cutscene in the game, right? Seems like people put immense weight on an optional part of the gameplay.
    But the cold, hard facts are: No matter what company designes a game, no matter what that game's IP is, no matter how balanced classes are, no matter how cool never before seen features are in the game. There will ALWAYS be something you love about it and something you hate. The only thing we players can do is live through the parts we hate as much as we can and appreciate the game for what it is.

I'm going to play TOR 80% because the original Star Wars movies where the first movies in English that I saw, and I also began to learn English from them. Not only that, but because the IP is very fascinating, there are so many things about it that, if put in a game, can be utterly and completely awesome. The last 20% comes from my previous experiences with BioWare and I have a lot of confidence in them to make a great game.
    This is purely what drives me to start playing, what will hold me is how well BioWare has made this game.
    Last edited by Drihan; 2011-11-04 at 08:49 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    People dont seem to understand, this is a very Role Play based game. As much as it can have good gameplay, or awesome PvP, it doesn't matter. The people who hate RP will get pissed when they have to pick conversation options at every corner. It will fall like the rest, of that i have no doubt.

To the actual question, some people are legit excited, most are just jumping on the band wagon because its something different.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drihan View Post
    You guys do know that you can skip every single cutscene in the game, right? Seems like people put immense weight on an optional part of the gameplay.
    From what I have hear they are skippable until you need to reply, something that will still waste your time if you just want to power-level to max. Though I do see them putting an option in later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's see...

1.I enjoy the Star Wars universe and lore.
    2. I loved KotoR, and while playing KotoR I wished it was a MMO. ToR is like a dream come true.
    3. It plays like WoW. That's even better, because I think WoW's gameplay and control set up should be copied by every MMO coming out.
    4.I'm a bit tired of elves and orcs. Its the main setting in 90% of MMOs. The sci-fi theme will be a welcome change of pace.
    5.A new take on the tri-system. Yeah, there's tanking, but its RANGED tanking!
    6.The companion system looks interesting and engaging.
    7. Instead of running to a "!", skimming the text, then checking the mini map for the location, I actually have to make a decision, and live with that decision. I will develop a unique character as a result.

Ok so you dont understand why people are looking forward to this game,
    same as i dont understand why people are hyping up a freaking panda expansion.

If you dont get it after all of the replys here, your not going to, just the same as i have quit asking why people are excited about MOP, i dont agree, i dont understand and i am done trying to figure out why.

Your main purpose now seems to be to just try to shoot down all the reasons people are telling you why they think it will be a great game, you are basicly asking people why they think it will be fun and then telling them they are wrong when they answer.

Thread needs closed IMO.

Deleted
    Fiend, are you by any chance bored?