Deleted

[TV] Derren Brown

Holy shit, this guy is scary. I have absolutely no doubt that he is quite possibly the single greatest entertainer/showman/bizarre-mind-stealing-genius ever. I'm watching the second episode of his new "Experiments" series and it is fantastic. In the first episode he convinced somebody to commit an assassination through hypnosis and suggestion. He is, by far, the best thing on TV. Brits can watch pretty much his entire back catalogue here:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/d...guide/series-1

Americans/Australians/anybody else should go out of your way to find some of his work online. I recommend starting with Heist.

Deleted
    he generally scares me too. That second episode is genius and yet sad and scary.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah he's an evil sorceror, and needs to be stopped at all costs :P I remember in his first four 'experiments' he correctly predicted the lottery numbers, and managed to beam a single imagine into the heads of everyone watching....

combine that with the experiments this time round... and he could beam the hynpotic kill command into everyone watching.... scary man.

and this week he's going to try to convince a guy to commit to a murder he didn't commit. So even if he CAN'T convince us to hypno-kill someone, he can just do it himself, and convince us we did it anyway.

it annoys me that everyone else I know thinks he sucks mostly because he's SO fuckin creepy, and comes right out from the start and says 'yeah, this is all a trick, nothing I do is magic, im just really good at what I do'

also, if you haven't already CHECK OUT HIS SHOW ENIGMA! it's the best example of what he does ever, his last 'trick' is just..... wtf
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    yeah he's an evil sorceror, and needs to be stopped at all costs :P I remember in his first four 'experiments' he correctly predicted the lottery numbers, and managed to beam a single imagine into the heads of everyone watching....
    That was play of the cameras, he didnt actually predict the lottery numbers. :P

He is awesome tho, that awesome it's hard to believe sometimes. Tho I do think he is a very skilled man.

Deleted
    its all smoke and mirrors and the people involved are all part of the show and already clued in - its entertaining telly though -

10+ Year Old Account
    @Alendian: I dunno, he did a whole freakin show on how he predicted them... but myeh I guess that is sort of his thing, misdirection, so it could all have been a scam, the hypno army thing is still frakkin scary

@Mortvicr: Smoke and Mirrors yes, plants no. The whole thing with Derren Brown is it's NOT magic, it's psychology, ANYONE could do it, in fact in a number of shows he tells us how he's done it afterwards(think Simon Pegg in trick of the mind, Derren asked him to write down a present he REALLY wanted, and then convinced him he wanted a BMX, even though it wasn't what he had written). That's mostly why I like him over the more standard 'Magicians' because he freely admits it's all a scam, he's not a magician, he's just VERY good at what he does.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

10+ Year Old Account
    the one I watched the other night, Game show or something like that. Where the audience basically chose the fate of the unlucky guy, and ofcourse they chose all the bad options (get arrested etc) but the ending, was unreal to say the least, very great twist.

I really recommend watching this guy, very talented and a great performer.

Deleted
    I dont know why, but his show just bores me to tears, its just so slow and drawn out.

Interesting fact: Derren Brown went to my school, and his dad was my swimming teacher. Big bob brown FTW!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    I dont know why, but his show just bores me to tears, its just so slow and drawn out.

Interesting fact: Derren Brown went to my school, and his dad was my swimming teacher. Big bob brown FTW!
    Its because of them damn adverts, when anything interesting happens it goes to a break.

Deleted
    Dynamo is better in my honest opinion. Derren Brown isn't bad however.

Deleted
    He's an entertainer by trade, no doubt backed up by actors posing as participants, special effects and the clever warping of perception and memory. Although I believe in some supernatural concepts, I struggle to accept that he is truly what he says he is.

Deleted
    that man has raped my mind so many times

---------- Post added 2011-11-02 at 10:11 PM ----------

sometimes though i cant help but feel some of his stuff is a set up. it just seems to odd to be true a lot of the time. but he did some live shows and stuff so who knows. still a good entertainer either way.

capital L-O-V-E this guy> He rocks he even does a stewie impression look it up on you tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Alendian View Post
    That was play of the cameras, he didnt actually predict the lottery numbers. :P

He is awesome tho, that awesome it's hard to believe sometimes. Tho I do think he is a very skilled man.
    I've seen him live. He chooses audience members with a frisby, unless he's a very good through they aint stooges.
    Who is Chris Metzen? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Zarhym tell it, anybody could have worked for Metzen. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... poof! He's gone.

Deleted
    Honestly his latest ''Gameshow'' one was pretty crap.

The choices he was given were a choice between entertaining, and boring. I dont think it was some great say on how people work in a large mob.

Deleted
    Yeah I finished watching the gameshow one after I'd written this, I get where he was coming from, but it was a bit flawed. When you put it in the context of a TV show of course people are going to behave badly and recommend "bad" choices, as the setting would in some way reassure them that it is safe to do so. What was interesting was that it was the members of the audience that recommended smashing the guy's TV for example, they just shouted it out rather than being prompted.

And I thoroughly disagree that he uses plants. His live stuff is too good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I just watched his third experiment....

Holy shit that was intense :S I greatly prefered this one to 'Gameshow' as to me this is more along the lines of what I watch Derren Brown for.. Namely it was an hour of flat out BRAIN RAPE. I felt SO sorry for the poor guy, who was basically subjected to Pavlovian Conditioning to make him feel guilty when he heard a certain piece of music play, and then made to doubt his own memory (although I have to say when he was at the table, and they kept swapping the plates around, I was torn between PISSING myself laughing, and marvelling at how slick they were at the swaps ) and they then combined this two things to make him think he'd murdered a douchebag :S

Thankfully once it was all out in the air the guy seemed cool with it, but damn man :S I would have flipped the fuck out if that was me.

Can't wait to see the fourth and final experiment, which is all about Luck.. should be interesting

I heard he is gay.
    Does that make him a mindbender?
    yes i know that was a bad joke