Page 1 of 3
LastLast

GW2 Questing design, explain how it works please

So I quit the game, then read what everyone said and went back to give it another go. Now I have a few questions. I have gotten my ele to level 21:

1) Heart quests do not give anything, you'd be getting more exp by gathering and crafting than hearts.

2) Zones cover a variety of levels 1-15, 15-25 so forth which is great but there is no flow from the low level are to high level areas.

3) Quests are dynamic, so to speak. You got here, you don't know this dude, who he is, why he's there or why you should care. it does not connect to the whole dragon story. In fact I don't really know who zaitan (last boss I think) is and why do I care!!

4) People say do the dynamic event. Events are fun, do not get me wrong but there's two problems. Most events can not be solo-ed so your fun is always dependant on others being present.
    Also, you have to be pretty close to the dynamic event to get notification that something is going on. So if you were gathering in one end of map and there's an epic event in other end of map that you would have loved to do, there is no way for you to know it's happening.
    I am sure people will brush these problems for now but once the new-game rush is over, this will be a giant pain.

5) Quests and events are largely unrewarding compared to crafting or exploration.
    Yesterday I spend over 45 minutes fighting this massive giant dude attacking a village. there were only about 6-7 of us. When he died we got no loot and only about 2 bars of Xp at level 20. How can something where I die over 10 times (all gear had disappeared by the time we got the giant down) and takes almost an hour give no reward and piss poor Xp compared to some random discovery I made in the safety of a crafting station?

I like the crafting Xp but this is what grinds my gear. When I overcome something so difficult, I want a proper reward. I want some decent looking staff or a shirt or something ffs. All 6-7 of us had all our gear broken by the time the giant died. My repair bill was 2 silver and some copper and the boss gave me only copper. I got the gold medal but it's just a damn medal that's useless to me.
    To others this may be fine, to me it's a slap in the face. It's statement by arenanet that we'd rather have you discovering a recipe for a shiny skirt than kill giant monsters after dieing repeatedly.
    I like exploration and crafting etc rewards but I want the rewards for fighting giant monsters to be at par with all that. My foremost motivation to play is fighting giant monsters and everything else is second.

A lot of times after fighting massive monsters that take ages to die and tons of people, you get worse rewards than you get for crafting or a heart quest.

6) You do all of the above again at max level??

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    So I quit the game, then read what everyone said and went back to give it another go. Now I have a few questions. I have gotten my ele to level 21:

1) Heart quests do not give anything, you'd be getting more exp by gathering and crafting than hearts.

2) Zones cover a variety of levels 1-15, 15-25 so forth which is great but there is no flow from the low level are to high level areas.

3) Quests are dynamic, so to speak. You got here, you don't know this dude, who he is, why he's there or why you should care. it does not connect to the whole dragon story. In fact I don't really know who zaitan (last boss I think) is and why do I care!!

4) People say do the dynamic event. Events are fun, do not get me wrong but there's two problems. Most events can not be solo-ed so your fun is always dependant on others being present.
    Also, you have to be pretty close to the dynamic event to get notification that something is going on. So if you were gathering in one end of map and there's an epic event in other end of map that you would have loved to do, there is no way for you to know it's happening.
    I am sure people will brush these problems for now but once the new-game rush is over, this will be a giant pain.

5) Quests and events are largely unrewarding compared to crafting or exploration.
    Yesterday I spend over 45 minutes fighting this massive giant dude attacking a village. there were only about 6-7 of us. When he died we got no loot and only about 2 bars of Xp at level 20. How can something where I die over 10 times (all gear had disappeared by the time we got the giant down) and takes almost an hour give no reward and piss poor Xp compared to some random discovery I made in the safety of a crafting station?

I like the crafting Xp but this is what grinds my gear. When I overcome something so difficult, I want a proper reward. I want some decent looking staff or a shirt or something ffs. All 6-7 of us had all our gear broken by the time the giant died. My repair bill was 2 silver and some copper and the boss gave me only copper. I got the gold medal but it's just a damn medal that's useless to me.
    To others this may be fine, to me it's a slap in the face. It's statement by arenanet that we'd rather have you discovering a recipe for a shiny skirt than kill giant monsters after dieing repeatedly.
    I like exploration and crafting etc rewards but I want the rewards for fighting giant monsters to be at par with all that. My foremost motivation to play is fighting giant monsters and everything else is second.

A lot of times after fighting massive monsters that take ages to die and tons of people, you get worse rewards than you get for crafting or a heart quest.

WoW questing is for you. This clearly is not.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was just about to post a similar thing, I am having a lot of issues with actually getting a story, I'm level 32 and I still don't understand the story of the game, all I know is kill centaurs. When for once I suddenly get a chance to actually talk to an NPC that may have a quest to find out what's going on, some person runs ahead and activates the mission leaving me yet again with no claw what's going on.

If I'm missing something please inform me because I'd like to enjoy the game to the fullest rather than just sit there grinding centaurs.

I'd also like to add to the point about loot, I was pissed off at the start too, but then I realised monsters drop so much loot, that it becomes a non-issue.
    Last edited by Holy Popcorn; 2012-09-03 at 01:18 AM.
    he rejoiced and laughed. Anu turned back to him, to Kumarbi he began to speak:
    "Thou rejoicest over thine interior!, because thou hast swallowed my manhood.
    "Rejoice not over thine interior! In thine interior I put a heavy load.
    Firstly I have impregnated thee with the noble Storm-god..."

Quote Originally Posted by lunarpower View Post
    WoW questing is for you. This clearly is not.
    Well at least GW2 has great community, I can tell by this reply. When you can't present a valid counter argument , you tell people to go back to wow even though I hated cata and hate pandaland, you shout insults about 'go back to wow'.
    Let me clue you about something though mate, it's every single developers wet dream to make a game that will be as popular as wow. Most of us played it and loved it at different stages of wow's life. Do not bash it. I did not like cata and will not play pandaland but wow brought MMo to mainstream, no one can deny that.
    Last edited by igame; 2012-09-03 at 01:25 AM.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Some people will agree that the XP rewarded from Heart Quests does seem a bit low. But, when done in combination with gathering, DE's, and your personal story, there is enough XP.

It maybe this sinus infection inhibiting my ability to think strait but, I really don't understand what you mean by this. Could you elaborate a little bit?

Yeah, I've noticed that the personal story and heart quests don't exactly "flow together." But, I am only level 27 myself. This may change at higher levels. In fact, I bet that by time you get closer to 70 and 80, they make more sense.

As for "who you know Zaitan is and why should you care," I imagine that is also explained in your personal story.

I'm yet to have an issue wit "soloing" a DE... unless it's a Champion Boss event. If you keep dying, then come up with a new strategy. Use different weapons and skills. Also, dodge more.

Yeah, I'm plauged by this myself... I'll be roaming across the map when I see a boss event pop up. But as I get closer, the HP is cut in half and falling faster than a hookers panties and I end up missing the event. It's annoying, but it's just part of the game we have to deal with. Think of it, even IF there was a zone wide alert for an event, those alerts would be going off left and right. You think your lost now? If they implemented that, I bet our screens would be SPAMMED with alerts.

I fought a lv. 20 Champion spider with a friend of mine today. I got some green gun that I, being a Guardian, could not use. He got vendor trash. Random loot is random. But, although my bud got screwed on loot, he still was jazzed about 2 manning that champion. GW2 is about the experience rather than the loot.

If you keep dying a lot, see my tips above. But a tidy TL;DR:
    1. Change your weapons out
    2. Change your skills out
    3. Change your trait skills out (if applicable)
    4. DODGE
    5. Watch for the mob's "tell." I.E. When an Etin (sp?) is about to smash the ground, you see him raise up his big mace. There's also a minor spell effect at the etin's feet.

All in all, I applaud you for trying GW2 again before writing it off. We here in these forums are tired of people trying GW2 for all of an hour (not in your case), declaring they know everything about gaming, stating GW2 sucks and that they're quitting.

I do agree some rewards do seem quite... underwhelming, but then I remind myself that GW2 is more about utilizing your skills that you have available to you, rather than "over gearing content" for satisfaction.

Hope this helped.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Popcorn View Post
    I was just about to post a similar thing, I am having a lot of issues with actually getting a story, I'm level 32 and I still don't understand the story of the game, all I know is kill centaurs. When for once I suddenly get a chance to actually talk to an NPC that may have a quest to find out what's going on, some person runs ahead and activates the mission leaving me yet again with no claw what's going on.

If I'm missing something please inform me because I'd like to enjoy the game to the fullest rather than just sit there grinding centaurs.

I'd also like to add to the point about loot, I was pissed off at the start too, but then I realised monsters drop so much loot, that it becomes a non-issue.
    Oh, so the monsters at the end of events drop tons of loot at higher levels? Like the monsters with crossed swords on their portrait and usually 3-4 levels above you?

---------- Post added 2012-09-03 at 01:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    All in all, I applaud you for trying GW2 again before writing it off. We here in these forums are tired of people trying GW2 for all of an hour (not in your case), declaring they know everything about gaming, stating GW2 sucks and that they're quitting.

I do agree some rewards do seem quite... underwhelming, but then I remind myself that GW2 is more about utilizing your skills that you have available to you, rather than "over gearing content" for satisfaction.

Hope this helped.
    Thank you. Do you know what's the different kinds of mobs? Like bronze circle around the portrait, or circle with swords or golden circle? Which ones are champions? Also, if I get a gold medal after killing champion that means I worked hard and will get some gear etc prolly?
    Also, any way to overcome distance from event problem? Like any toggle switch to make event announcement zone-wide or something? Sometimes I get to a big boss and only get there for the last 10-20% because I did not know that was goin on. if I knew I wouldn't have been feeding that farmer's cows for the heart quest lol. The big boss events are amazing, I love them and want to do them all, anytime one goes off in the zone I am in at least.
    Last edited by igame; 2012-09-03 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Popcorn View Post
    I was just about to post a similar thing, I am having a lot of issues with actually getting a story, I'm level 32 and I still don't understand the story of the game, all I know is kill centaurs.
    When you first create your character you assign certain storyline traits. This guides you on your path through the storyline. You must read and not skip the storyline stuff (The Green Stars) The heart stuff are just added challenges and the bosses you find in open events are more like feats of strength. When you play a Norn for example, your storyline may involve the Jotun and the Ice Dragon. For Humans, it may lead into an old foe, The White Mantle.

If you are just skipping through the storyline stuff then it's no wonder you have no idea of what's going on IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Nahaz View Post
    When you first create your character you assign certain storyline traits. This guides you on your path through the storyline. You must read and not skip the storyline stuff (The Green Stars) The heart stuff are just added challenges and the bosses you find in open events are more like feats of strength. When you play a Norn for example, your storyline may involve the Jotun and the Ice Dragon. For Humans, it may lead into an old foe, The White Mantle.

If you are just skipping through the storyline stuff then it's no wonder you have no idea of what's going on IMO.
    Ah, that makes sense...thanks for clarifying that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh, so the monsters at the end of events drop tons of loot at higher levels? Like the monsters with crossed swords on their portrait and usually 3-4 levels above you?

---------- Post added 2012-09-03 at 01:28 AM ----------

Thank you. Do you know what's the different kinds of mobs? Like bronze circle around the portrait, or circle with swords or golden circle? Which ones are champions? Also, if I get a gold medal after killing champion that means I worked hard and will get some gear etc prolly?
    Also, any way to overcome distance from event problem? Like any toggle switch to make event announcement zone-wide or something? Sometimes I get to a big boss and only get there for the last 10-20% because I did not know that was goin on. if I knew I wouldn't have been feeding that farmer's cows for the heart quest lol. The big boss events are amazing, I love them and want to do them all, anytime one goes off in the zone I am in at least.
    Google it to be 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure:
    Bronze circle: Veteran (think, world elites in WoW difficulty)
    Bronze circle with swords: Champion (think, heroic 5 man bosses difficulty)

I don't know what's past that. As for the medals, I'm pretty sure higher levels just give more XP/Karma/Gold.

And I was kidding about a zone wide announcement, I'm 99% sure there isn't one in game.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    Google it to be 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure:
    Bronze circle: Veteran (think, world elites in WoW difficulty)
    Bronze circle with swords: Champion (think, heroic 5 man bosses difficulty)

I don't know what's past that. As for the medals, I'm pretty sure higher levels just give more XP/Karma/Gold.

And I was kidding about a zone wide announcement, I'm 99% sure there isn't one in game.
    I don't mean to bash the game but not having a zone-wide announcement for the most epic encounters/events is a bit of a stupid design. How does anet expect us to find find these events?

I don't mean to bash the game but not having a zone-wide announcement for the most epic encounters/events is a bit of a stupid design. How does anet expect us to find find these events?
    I've noticed that when you are in a heart quest area, NPCs run up to you and tell you "such and such boss needs to be defeated" and once talking to the NPC, places the DE on your map. It does take some getting used to not having ! points on your mini-map. I also am glad you gave it another chance.

15+ Year Old Account
    What Kaariana said, and exploring. As you wander around the zones you'll encounter the DE's in your journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaariana View Post
    I've noticed that when you are in a heart quest area, NPCs run up to you and tell you "such and such boss needs to be defeated" and once talking to the NPC, places the DE on your map. It does take some getting used to not having ! points on your mini-map. I also am glad you gave it another chance.
    Hmmm...it won't stop me from playing but I think champion bosses deserved a zone announcement at least. Even this idea means I would miss out on massive bosses if I go gathering etc. Ah well, hope anet sees the need for a proper announce in future.

The big thing about the game is exploration. It is a bit different in design in that it doesn't really guide you so to speak. Basically you have to think, what am I going to do today in the world and go do it. There really isn't anybody that will tell you where to go, other than your personal story.

Hmmm...it won't stop me from playing but I think champion bosses deserved a zone announcement at least. Even this idea means I would miss out on massive bosses if I go gathering etc. Ah well, hope anet sees the need for a proper announce in future.
    Champion bosses aren't exactly a rarity...in Lornar's Pass alone I can think of three that are up on a fairly constant basis, and that doesn't touch any that might also spawn as part of dynamic event that I haven't seen.

The true massive bosses, like the Shatterer? Those do get zone wide announcements, as they only happen every few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    Champion bosses aren't exactly a rarity...in Lornar's Pass alone I can think of three that are up on a fairly constant basis, and that doesn't touch any that might also spawn as part of dynamic event that I haven't seen.

The true massive bosses, like the Shatterer? Those do get zone wide announcements, as they only happen every few hours.
    Oh, what level are such bosses? like at what level do you start getting those bosses?

Deleted
    I tend to find /map helpful for announcing events. The perfect example of this is 'The Shatterer' event that takes place in one of the zones around level 45ish - there were always people shouting out when that event was due. I'd say pay particular attention to /m!

Well the premise is answered simply as such: Guild Wars 2 is a non-linear game. The only goal is to play casually. One simply wanders/explores, stumbling on this or that event. XP and levels follow eventually.

The goal of leveling to cap is not emphasized to any real degree. Originally the game was meant to not have ANY levels and the base design reveals this in part. There is only 1 design point in the entire game that implies linearity; the Renown Hearts. Which are phased out progressively to the point where there is literally no longer any overt direction via hearts.

However, the premise isn't really what the OP wants addressed. This stuff is;

Yes, because hearts are intended to provide gentle direction. As are the Scouts which point players toward them.

Levels aren't really as big a deal here as in other MMOs. The game actually rewards better loot/xp for taking on stuff well above a player's level or traveling off the beaten path. A message pops up specially telling players this fact actually.

Again, non linear. "Zone flow" isn't really applicable. Not what Anet are going for explicitly.

This may be a case of simply not paying attention or capacity to connect the dots. Almost every single event, major and minor race and dungeon is tied into the dragons and the political situation in Tyria.

Even like that dredge attack or pirate raid on Milly's farm at level 5 is tied back to a huge continent spanning event. It all makes sense too.

4) People say do the dynamic event. Events are fun, do not get me wrong but there's two problems. Most events can not be solo-ed so your fun is always dependent on others being present.
    I would say this is mostly false. Some elite events in the level 30+ areas get very difficult to solo. Indeed.

However, most mundane events can be solo'd. Including supposedly "group events". To a large degree damage can be avoided or mitigated totally by skillful play. Likely a player issue in if one is unable to solo a mundane event at the least.

Although a failed event isn't really a player failure, per se.

Not really w/r/t crafting. Crafting is pretty steep and cost ineffective compared to normal play. Personal Story usually rewards a high gear threshold relative to level. Also taking on challenges above player level start rewarding green and yellow gear by level 15 or so. Which surpasses lesser gear by a fair margin for a long time.

That said, gear isn't really a big deal here either. For example, I wore my level 35 chest armor well into level 60. With some pieces ranging from level 30-50. If you notice how gear scales it is often by very small amounts. A level 20 axe may have only one or two points more of Vitality than a level 18 axe and so on.

Karma gear last a long time as well.

Just a note: It's hard to figure out what is "hard" to you. Some players barely died in the over world if you check the /Deaths thread. So this is an issue relative to player skill.

Also the medal rewards are paying out XP [lots, the most in the game actually], $ and Karma. Right under the medal thingy you will see how much each pays. There should be 3 symbols; xp, karma and money.

Also DEs count toward daily and month achievement tiers. Which also reward HUGE xp, mystic coins and so on. They tally up to the 100s iirc.

Yes.

well up till now i pretty much got all the story that the game has given to me :P and mind you i havent done many DE or at least as many as i would like :P

If you want to learn the lore there are books that you can find in the world also,stay and listen to what people are saying or to what scouts are saying when they pin-point you to a hear.Finally read the fine text in DE and HEARTS and you will have a good overall idea on what its happening in every zone.

also as i understand even thought the dragons have returned the majority of the people are in a kind of denial.At least from teh text that i read.To understand how thins work in the game is like in real life.You ask around :P or you eaves drop :P the other day i learned about the other 2 continets of the game by some people in a city complaining about bandit problems and one was thinking of moving there :P while the other was saying that it wouldnt be possible due to ORR .Also i saw some kids playing as the main heroes of the game(divity edge or something like that ) and by the goship and stuff i found out why rytlock dont like the human guy or what the asura thinks of the norn woman(eir) :P its funny because it gives you the idea of a breathing world :P just stay and listen to people talking and you will understand.

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys havn't really started the dragon story yet, it starts with 2nd phase of stories when you join an order. (around level 30+)

---------- Post added 2012-09-03 at 01:08 PM ----------

Oh, what level are such bosses? like at what level do you start getting those bosses?
    Some areas just have them, others not so much.

Human starter zone has this massive undead huge thing that comes out of the swamp every few hours if people have been doing the right quests. In one of the 30 level zones i think theres one where you push the centaur back and take over their towns etc and then fight a big boss.
    Last edited by Riavan; 2012-09-03 at 03:09 AM.