Thread: Free to play

Free to play

Well, I'm looking for a decent free to play fantasy mmorpg that isn't heavily limited with "pay for upgrades" content as I find it "disheartens" me and don't think much of the game. I would like to come back to WoW, but, recently having had a baby boy come into my life money is a bit tight right now so i'm asking the community their opinion on MMO's, prefereably any that aren't too complicated either as i don't have much time for "play time".

I've tried Free realms (quite a long time ago) and everquest 2 (I think it wasd) and i didn't like them much, currently downloading runes of magic to try.

Thank you all in advance.

DC universe is free to play. I personally have not played it, so I don't know if there are any micro transactions or anything like that, but it's worth a shot
    Last edited by Fust; 2011-11-05 at 09:59 PM.
    "And lo, the spaghetti fell from his pockets like a horse off a mountain, in the image and likeness of His Almighty Noodliness."
    - Nessie 3:50

I recommend "Vindictus," if you'd like a great looking game, or "Dragon nest" if you like the more cutesy look. They are both action oriented mmo's, so there is no targeting system. I find them both enjoyable. Also the cash shops for them are mostly for clothes and hairstyles.
    Last edited by Silent One; 2011-11-05 at 11:01 PM.

Realm of the Mad God, it's insane and will last you for at least a few hours I guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by Fust View Post
    DC universe is free to play. I personally have not played it, so I don't know if there are any micro transactions or anything like that, but it's worth a shot
    DC has quite a few restrictions for free to players

I recommend trying out every F2P that interests you in the slightest. The entire idea for F2P is to get the committed players to pay for the casuals... so if you can avoid committing overly much to any particular game, you won't find yourself 'regretting' playing for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Merrena View Post
    DC has quite a few restrictions for free to players
    Spend 5 dollars and all those restrictions are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    Spend 5 dollars and all those restrictions are gone.
    Not in the very least. My account is Premium and the $2000 cash limit is pretty stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    play CO then less restrictions than dcuo same idea and alot more accessible only reason to play dcuo is the graphics and the console like controls

oh and lately the servers have been shit with it being down constantly

10+ Year Old Account
    playing DC online its pretty amusing, went evil so i could have the joker as a mentor, Mark Hamel does a wonderful joker
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

Deleted
    I'd recommend Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO).

It's free to download, free to play. You have the option to purchase extra content at your own leisure but none of that is game-breaking and you very, very rarely feel like you're missing out on anything for not buying it (Free account here btw).

It can seem a bit complicated at first, and the D&D universe is known for it's tender views on unique qualities etc. But if you start out a melee class, you can't go wrong. Also, the details for spellcasters is amazing. If you're into storytelling and RP-PvE content, DDO is the fantasy game for you. Admittedly, it does lack some end-game, but you don't notice untill you get there, because the best part of the game is the journey to end game, so it never feels like a grind or you being forced into it.

Another issue is a somewhat confusing classic-chat system that reminds you of chatting online in the 90's. There's not many shortcuts and although you CAN set it up to function alot like WoW's chat system, it's never the same thing and the constant /tell <Name> <Message> can be annoying to re-type again and again when chatting to someone.

Also, if you're fully into Roleplay, you'll go empty handed. RP is encouraged in terms of PTP (Player to Player) but it's very rare to find, partially because of the chat system.

On the upsides, you get a chance to experience epic adventures in a game with no rivals in terms of PTE (Player to Enviroment). Quests are associated with each seperate dungeon which, like the pen and paper games, can be long, short, hard, easy, simple or require anything from mind puzzles and diplomatic sollutions, to hack-n-slash encounters and sneaky rogue missions etc. But no two dungeons are alike, and DDO provides THE most amazing storytelling roleplay in any MMORPG to date.

Personally, I would rate DDO a 3.5/5. It has it's flaws and kinks, but is updated regulary. You don't have to pay to enjoy countless hours of fun. If you have friends who'd want to play with you, it's perhaps among the best experiences you can share online in a video game in terms of fantasy, but the chat system counts down alot. You want to use skype, messenger or sit together while playing to avoid the dodgy /tell system.

Anyhow, it's available from ddo.com. You, naturally, need to create an account, but as said, it's free of charge and easy to pick up. Game is downloadable at 4.5gb and updates will then download automatically as you play.

Enjoy!