Heroic Nef 10 man - 2 or 3 tanks?

First off, thanks much to the frequent posters in this forum - you've been very helpful in other threads I've started about doing Tier 11 heroics. I'm in a group finishing up all the Tier 11 hard modes we did not get done when it was current "for the luls" mostly. We have Nef-H, Sinestra, and Ascendant Council-H to go - so obviously the easiest next choice is Nefarion.

One thing I cant seem to figure out is whether this is a 2 or 3 fight tank on 10 man heroic - I know its a 3 tank fight on 25. The question is, I suppose, whether or not the skeleton adds in phase 1 on hard mode are enough of a problem to require a third tank or if any class with a taunt button can handle them as they do on normal mode. The other issue is we really don't have a lot of choice because the only DPS with a taunt button in my group is a warrior, who I would prefer not to have to do this as he does insane DPS (but all the other DPS are ranged and a rogue).

I'm sure with current gear it would be possible to do it with 3 tanks, but the best way to go would be 2 tanks.
    The fight is reccomended with 2 tanks, but that is back when it was current content

We used 2 tanks, and me as a frost dk on the skeletons for P1 with a mage backing me up, really easy that way. Went into blood presence, hit all adds once, gather in the middle, mage used frost nova. I ran to the side, adds broke free and caught up, i hit hungering cold and moved away a bit again. Mage popped ring of frost after they broke free. That left me with like less than 10 seconds on the final add to die, easy to control with chains of ice.

Main point? mass cc is really handy for em.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Two is fine. Some classes can handle them solo (druids are really good; root 4 and you're done, more or less), if not, just split them up between DPS a little until they die. They aren't that painful, especially in firelands gear.

2 is all you need, just have the tank picking nef up at the start pick all the adds up also and just tank them until ph2, just put a little extra healing on the tank and its easy mode, dps shouldnt be a problem so if healing looks a little iffy you can try 4 healer tact where at least 1 healer always follows the kiting tank around and others help out now and then but main focus on raid and MT.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmeh7 View Post
    Two is fine. Some classes can handle them solo (druids are really good; root 4 and you're done, more or less), if not, just split them up between DPS a little until they die. They aren't that painful, especially in firelands gear.
    You will face less problems by just stacking them up in one location, rather than splitting them up. You can easily outheal their damage (especially with today's gear) and if they are stacked properly, they will all ress at the same time making P3 a lot easier.

Deleted
    We used to gather all the adds up at the ony tank. They will run to the healers anyway, or u can have a holy pala pick them up. that way they just disappear in phase 2 and are all in the same spot on the side. Pop hero/bl at start, burn ony and leave all crackles to phase 3. Provided ur add tank can keep it together for that long phase 3 it will be ok. We did that when it was current content so Id guess it would be super easy now.

Quote Originally Posted by zebramints View Post
    the more i think about it, it might actually be easier at this point with 3 tanks. The electrocute hits really hard still, and the less dps you have you'll be able to take your time topping people off.
    You can control DPS if you have too much of it. If your healers can't keep up with the electrocutes, that's their problem. It's really not that bad, tbh. I'd rather have stronger DPS to get through p2 faster.

Deleted
    electrocutes for tanks are no problem when they have the Tol barad trinket with the +resistences. 2 tanks is just enough

Go with 2 tanks, adds on the ony tank. We killed onyxia without really dpsing nef, was no problem for me to kite in p3 so we'd rather get p1 over with. If you're in FL hc gear I'm sure you can have the ony tank have all the adds and still have time to dps nef in p1.

Only things you can wipe to really in the kind of gear we got now is p2 or your add kiter screwing up in p3. When we did it (1-1.5 months into FL) we were in a mix of 359, 372 and 378 peices and we wiped 3-4 times in p2, mostly to people messing up with cinders. First time into p3 was a kill. It's honnestly a fight thats rather easilly overgeared.

When it was current content, our holy pally righteous fury heal spammed to gather them. Prot warrior on Ony taunted them with vigi, tanked them with Ony while we bloodlust burned her only. When Ony was close to dying, in between breaths, warrior rotated them into a ring of frost (or hungering cold) on the side). Ony died, adds died, phase 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't done it since T11 but use 2 tanks. If your dps and/or healers are having problems with firelands gear there are more problems than the # of tanks you have.

Tactic we used:

DK on Nef, Warrior on Onyxia.
    Raid burns Onyxia and holy paladin heals with righteous fury.
    Warrior picks adds up off paladin. Ring of frost as onyxia dies so adds are all together when they die and the warrior can get away from the damage.

We bloodlusted in p2. We originally used it in phase 1 but quickly dropped that and just upped our dps to kill onyxia before the tank died.

P3 is 100% about the add tank. Have someone who doesn't suck @ resetting them and a healer who can keep him up well. The rest of the raids job is pretty easy. Just ease on the dps if you need more heal time before a crackle.

Mirror of broken images is your best friend for this fight.

Deleted
    Do you have to have 5/6 hc on the same raid lock out to attempt nerfian hc like you do with raggy hc (6/7hc that raid before he can be attempted on hc)?

The only reason i ask if we do this raid casually whislt we concentrate on FL hc, we have 4/6 hc and would be nice to just finish off the last 2 without wasting time killing the 4 we have on hc already

Deleted
    No need, you can clear in normal and change Nef to heroic.

easy way to do it is have ony tank pick up the skeletons, burn ony and get to p2 asap

Deleted
    We do it with 2 tanks, Ony tank takes the whelps during phase1 and does the kiting in phase3.

We nuke down Ony without touching nef, only problem with this is that dps is so much higher now than it was then, that your dps can force electrocutes very quickly, giving the raid healer a bit of a headache.
    Whilst dps can slow down, telling dps to hold back is like asking child not to wipe their snot on the car seat.