new to overclocking

so i've been messing around with overclocking my i5 now that i have a new heatsink. However whenever i open CPUID it bounces between my clock speed (4.3) to an egregiously low speed (1.6). Does this not show my oc'ed speed unless under load or have i been had? I used AI Suite II which comes with the asus p8p67 pro software.

my sig also shows my clock speed also it's saying not validated for some unknown reason =/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sazdek View Post
    so i've been messing around with overclocking my i5 now that i have a new heatsink. However whenever i open CPUID it bounces between my clock speed (4.3) to an egregiously low speed (1.6). Does this not show my oc'ed speed unless under load or have i been had? I used AI Suite II which comes with the asus p8p67 pro software.

my sig also shows my clock speed also it's saying not validated for some unknown reason =/
    Your CPU will underclock itself when its not being used to save power and to lower the temps. It goes to normal when its being used (when you need it)

Is there anything i can run (like a stress test program) just to see if it gets the numbers up?

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there anything i can run (like a stress test program) just to see if it gets the numbers up?
    A Game, Prime95, Benchmarks :P I suggest http://www.wprime.net/

There are plenty in the Free Software Megathread, which is brought to you by the Sticky Index.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

wprime worked thanks ^.^ updating sig now with a -validated- version.