Thread: Factions in gw2

Factions in gw2

So lemme start by saying i never played GW1 but im very excited for GW2 and i was wondering if there is a horde vs alliance sort of feel to the game because fron what i understand there doesnt seem to be one. So let me know if im misslead or if all the races work together as one.

Races on a server is together, there is no two factions fighting each other in your realm. You will only fight other realms, which is awesome, because it makes a stronger community on a realm.

Though there are certain factions.
    As far as I know ,they're based on your class.
    For example: Charr Necromancer of The Order of Whispers, Human Guardian of The Vanguard, etc.
    There's some info on the GW2 website about them.

In-realm you cooperate; you compete against other realms.

My only concern is that 'power' realms will develop, and some might become deserts. I'm curious to see how the devs will approach that potential problem (especially with the rumours of free server transfers).

There's some conflict between the races in the lore, especially the Charr and Humans, but it doesn't flow over much into gameplay as far as I can tell. There's no opposite player factions that can PvP like in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by GrodinLB View Post
    In-realm you cooperate; you compete against other realms.

My only concern is that 'power' realms will develop, and some might become deserts. I'm curious to see how the devs will approach that potential problem (especially with the rumours of free server transfers).
    In Guild Wars, realms were just whatever server you were currently on. There was drop down to change it in game, so you'd just go through a loadscreen and be in the same city on a different realm (called districts). There were international district people from anywhere could play on to group together, as well as North American, South American, and European and Asia servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulostthegame View Post
    In Guild Wars, realms were just whatever server you were currently on. There was drop down to change it in game, so you'd just go through a loadscreen and be in the same city on a different realm (called districts). There were international district people from anywhere could play on to group together, as well as North American, South American, and European and Asia servers.
    I know, but I'm assuming that each realm in GW2 will be distinct (cities included), with no crossover between realms except for during PvP in 'the mists'. So in WvWvW you'll be competing against other servers. What's to stop people from concentrating in a few of the most powerful servers, leaving some others barren and devoid of players?

10+ Year Old Account
    Races don't work together per say. That's all lore crap though. Within the confines of actual gameplay there are no factions, and PvP is done through WvWvW (Server vs Server vs Server BG style) and Competitive Arenas.

What's to stop people from concentrating in a few of the most powerful servers, leaving some others barren and devoid of players?
    Well, how can you really fix a problem that stems from the player? You can't. It's just something that people have to deal with or move along. It's quite similar to people rolling Horde on Malganis, or xfering factions because "lolalliancesuck@PvP". Really, it's just people not being team players and having no server pride.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not difficult to imagine a few possible solutions. Firstly, as mentioned, because of the dynamic events system there are caps on the number of people that can be in a particular zone at any one time. It's not expected that these caps will be reached often at all. Let's imagine a server gets really busy because they win a couple of WvWvW battles and then all of a sudden the bandwagon brigade arrives. All of a sudden, the server is hideously overpopulated and people start complaining because they can't get in particular areas without queueing and so on, and end up leaving back to the realms they came from.

It's also been mentioned, as I recall, that some sort of cooldown will occur when leaving a realm for another, so it's not something you can simply swap around on an hourly basis. If people are playing on a realm with their friends, they're going to be less inclined to leave if their friends don't want to, and they know that there will be a while before they could move back if they ended up not liking it.

They could also put some sort of realm-wide bonus to realms that are particularly under-populated as an incentive for people seeking a new home. Quite often, the people that will jump realm just because they got beat by that realm tend to be (to generalise) players who leave a lot to be desired, both in terms of their ability to play and their maturity/general sociability. Once a realm becomes plagued by this, it's quite likely that the players who were there originally will be motivated to leave the realm for another one.

Quote Originally Posted by GrodinLB View Post
    I know, but I'm assuming that each realm in GW2 will be distinct (cities included), with no crossover between realms except for during PvP in 'the mists'. So in WvWvW you'll be competing against other servers. What's to stop people from concentrating in a few of the most powerful servers, leaving some others barren and devoid of players?
    Also to note, in WvWvW pvp; servers get ranked. If they keep winning they go up against other winning servers every two weeks, whereas losing servers will go against other losing servers. If losing/winning is solely based on numbers (which it's not) then highly populated servers will end up going against other highly populated servers.