Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Anyone wondering what the first month will be like?

I think we all know the game's more hyped up than the second coming. I'm actually not that worried about the technical aspects of the game. Rift has shown that a smooth launch is possible, and Bioware's should be able to deliver as well.

What I'm kinda worried about though, is the playerbase. If you've read official forums, you get a very disturbing idea of what some people expect (or want) the game to be like.

Lurking around the past few months, I've seen serious requests for
    1. 100m range for snipers (and NOT even gunslingers btw, just the imperial agents) "because snipers IRL shoot from long range". Spawned a few dozen pages of serious discussion.
    2. Keeping beta characters for release
    3. Instant kill lightsabers/intentionally OP force classes
    Among many others.

I think that, though it'll be a good (if not excellent) game, there's still going to be a lot of disappointment, crying, and ragequitting for sure. If the ebb and flow of playerbase is strong enough, the devs might have no choice but to knee-jerk nerf/buff/change the game's dynamics to suit them.

As both Obi-Wan and Han Solo have said, "I've got a bad feeling about this..." Anyone else think so?

Deleted
    They won't. BioWare merged with Mythic, the designers of DaOC and Warhammer; they're not going to be stupid enough to balance the game around people like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    The community will be the same as all the rest of the games. People just suck in general.

Luckily, I don't need to deal with any of that crap because I have a great guild filled with great people.

As far as idiots yelling for change, I just don't see Bioware changing their game based on it. I'd like to believe they understand that the screamers are the minority.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

I've seen a lot of strange people that are intentionally trying to warp the game to focus on endgame and abandon the heavy story emphasis the game has.

Why they even choose to play this game when they could play one of the many other endgame heavy mmos is a mystery. Instead they would like to take the one game that has a strong story empasis and corrupt it to be like all the others.

I'm not saying there can't be any endgame, they need some for sustainability but for once I would like to see an mmo where it is the ONLY thing developers truely focus on.
    Biowares Go-to Plan:
    - Offer something for free
    - Change mind and charge for it
    - ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR WORK HAS BUGS
    - Never fix bugs and give crappy CS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    The community will be the same as all the rest of the games. People just suck in general.
    I doubt this, especially since there's no X-realm feature at launch. Geting a bad reputation with people from your own server is often a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Babaganouch View Post
    I doubt this, especially since there's no X-realm feature at launch. Geting a bad reputation with people from your own server is often a bad thing.
    and i hope they stick with the nox-realm thing. people will slowly learn that if they troll/bash/rage they will be called out and blacklisted and find themselves very lonely in a large world

Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    and i hope they stick with the nox-realm thing. people will slowly learn that if they troll/bash/rage they will be called out and blacklisted and find themselves very lonely in a large world
    Either that or there will be so many people like that and they will just destroy any sense of community before it even gets off the ground - just look at the official forums, they're already terrible.

Although I do hope this isn't true and that what you say is how it will be, I do think though no cross realm features is the best course of action to at least try and help a sense of community, cross realm certainly does help anonymity and an idea of being able to do anything without consequence.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    Either that or there will be so many people like that and they will just destroy any sense of community before it even gets off the ground - just look at the official forums, they're already terrible.

Although I do hope this isn't true and that what you say is how it will be, I do think though no cross realm features is the best course of action to at least try and help a sense of community, cross realm certainly does help anonymity and an idea of being able to do anything without consequence.
    i really doubt that. At least from where I am I know i will have an amazing guild and eventually we will build a good reputation. I know that other guilds as well will build good reputations and then we bond to know who the good guilds ect. are. eventually people will know other people by reputation and in this game for once I am GLAD people will have to eat what they do. No avoiding it or paying your way out of it anymore.

Yes of course, that will exist, I'm just saying, will that ultimately be more than the anonymous idiots that have gotten used to being horrible to one another because there are no consequences? If they start behaving because a few people are acting right and proper, and it spreads, then great, but if they don't care, and continue not to care, and there is a large number of them, will anyhting change? I mean, imagine a large portion of the server are idiots, if they spend most of their time playing with idiots, and only some of the time playing with normal people, do you think they will change?

That is my worry - that WoW and numerous other things have already set so many people on a path of idiocy, just because they can, that there will be so many that they often end up playing with each other, and so it won't matter because that behaviour will continue to perpetuate itself. I sincerely hope this doesn't happen, but considering the amount of trolls even here on a very heavily moderated forum, I'm not expecting a great server community in TOR. That being said, being friendly with a portion of that community, and outright avoiding another part is entirely doable and would certainly protect you from them, but it wouldn't stop them from existing and continuing to be idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighz View Post
    1. [General]: DIZ GAME SUX W0W IS BEST
    1. [General]: NO U
    1. [General]: no rift is better than both tbh
    1. [General]: LOL RIFT LOLOL

Luuke Skywalka, Hand Soloz, Maulz, Xvaderx, Pandazsuck.

Also, lots of lagging.
    Not much different than every Night Elf being some derivation of Legolas when WoW first started :P

10+ Year Old Account
    lots of lag, griefing, getting annoyed by people killing your questmobs, and getting stuck at the 1 quest which requires you to right click that 1 special frog (Aion, I'm looking at you!)
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Booniehat View Post
    I think we all know the game's more hyped up than the second coming. I'm actually not that worried about the technical aspects of the game. Rift has shown that a smooth launch is possible, and Bioware's should be able to deliver as well.

What I'm kinda worried about though, is the playerbase. If you've read official forums, you get a very disturbing idea of what some people expect (or want) the game to be like.

Lurking around the past few months, I've seen serious requests for
    1. 100m range for snipers (and NOT even gunslingers btw, just the imperial agents) "because snipers IRL shoot from long range". Spawned a few dozen pages of serious discussion.
    2. Keeping beta characters for release
    3. Instant kill lightsabers/intentionally OP force classes
    Among many others.

I think that, though it'll be a good (if not excellent) game, there's still going to be a lot of disappointment, crying, and ragequitting for sure. If the ebb and flow of playerbase is strong enough, the devs might have no choice but to knee-jerk nerf/buff/change the game's dynamics to suit them.

As both Obi-Wan and Han Solo have said, "I've got a bad feeling about this..." Anyone else think so?
    Every single MMO that has had a beta has people ask about keeping their beta characters and whining when told no. Then you have people who can't separate game mechanics from RL and bitch when X can't do Y. Look at the WoW forums, Rift forums, any MMO forums and you'll find the exact same threads. The trick is to find a group of friends or a good guild and stick with them. That's where the real fun is

Also, lots of lagging.
    . This is 100% correct
    . Next thing to expect is basically insane request you would only ever see in a pure sandbox game
    . x-server LFG, warfront people will pop up and 100 page threads arguing
    .. Random WoW people posting "I quit" threads who never should have left WoW to begin with
    . News sites that instead of being objective they post personnel opinions or try and cal the game a failure
    . Everyone has a different idea in their head when they want content to be added, so if Bioware does not meet that particular timer expect to see qq
    . Lots of "go back to WoW comments" which will alienate new people. Bets way to deal with this is to report the pricks and answer the new persons question
    . People who's only goal in life is to make sure WoW is the only mmo so they will say or do whatever they can to make people want to quit the game even if it is blatant lying

10+ Year Old Account

Also, lots of lagging.
    I already know this will happen which will make me turn the chats off. Christ, I'm already dreading this.

In any case, I hope those whiners and complainers will leave and it'll leave us a better community to continue with.
    Of lips of splendor and tongues of deceit

DK and Coruscant are 3X worse then Barrens chat.

Think of Barrens chat mixed with city trade chat.

TOR will go through the same launch month pains of every other mmo
    - Comparisons to other MMOs
    - Starter area laggyness/congestion (this is helped by instancing, questing is not difficult at all)
    - Tons of people asking "where is" "how do i" and not following the clear path in front of them

and more i am sure.

Going to be a good launch, the game is extremely fun and addictive and it will take most folks a month or so to get to max level.

I have the answer:

You cannot fathom the immensity of the f*** I do not give.

10+ Year Old Account
    :I Everyone start posting up forums like "I like it how it is" "Classes are pretty balanced right now, thanks Bioware!" "Great job, things seem fine!"
    That way the screamers minority will actually look like a minority.
    Ahah, just kidding. My husband and I have been talking about a lot of this stuff as the 20th gets closer. We're both really hoping it doesn't go the way of WoW-- i.e. x-server queues, LFG tools, etc.

As for launch/first month.... I want to take my time with the quests, but I have the nagging feeling that if I don't get the first few quests (or even questing area) out of the way in the time I have for early-access, it will be so hard to do with the massive influx of release-date players that I'll have to try at 4 in the morning to even click the questgiver.

There will be lot of players who join for a month or two then get bored with it. My brother is a prime example.. picks up a game, plays some, gets bored and resells it to buy a new game.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    . People who's only goal in life is to make sure WoW is the only mmo so they will say or do whatever they can to make people want to quit the game even if it is blatant lying
    I can bet you that there will be people doing this for that reason only, buying the game and playing the first month free just to slag the game off and try and make people hate it.
    Thats how fucking low i know some people in warcraft can be.
    Lets hope they dont leave wow for swtor because that alone is my only problem i have...seeing all the wow references.

10+ Year Old Account
    People will be like *whoah, so cool man!* and then *wtf is this bioware?!*
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    *punches ThunderBlunder in the face*