It will be good.
"Every time I see that commercial for this movie I laugh."
"The one with the vegetarian bedazzled vampires."
I think we'll see these (no offense intended, just in good fun:P )
1. MMO newbies. Star Wars fans who never played MMOs before will be coming in. You'll see people with next to no clue on modern mmo mechanics come in e.g. kids playing Jedi Knights rolling need on cloth items, people putting talents in all 3 trees at low level and doing weird things.
2. MMO veterans who haven't been playing most modern mmos. An example is on SWTOR forums where some posters (who stopped MMO-ing after Everquest 1) were complaining that Bioware was being weak for even considering dual specing. "Choices should have severity! No respeccing allowed!". Not that they're wrong per se, but their expectations are really... from a different time. They also believed that entire raids would be okay with waiting 20 mins for 1 person to travel back to the respec trainer to respec if needed. Well... not really.
3. Bitter ex-WoWers who will play the game for 1 hour, then start posting in chat/forums that the game's terrible and WoW was better, then go back to WoW.
4. Bitter ex-WoWers (part 2) who will spam chat about how much SWTOR is better. And proceed to flame anyone who came from wow and might use it as a frame of reference when asking for help. E.g " Hey guys, what class should I play if I liked rogues in wow?" "WTF GTFO YOU NOOB THIS ISNT WOW"
I would add one in there.
5. SWG players whose game just got turned off due to "the new Star Wars game" complaining about how the game isn't a sandbox and they can't build their own cities and run for mayor and shit.
I swear some ex SWG (recent players mind you, I played the game for several years) people have the capability to be the most whiney vocal minority i have ever seen in any MMO.
I'll be expecting a lot of "Where do I go for (insert quest, person, objective, item, whatever here)?" even though said question was answered less than 30 seconds ago. Also I'll expect a lot of WoW comparisons. Oh and you can't forget the need rolls people will do on loot that they can't even use. Oh and possibly items on the auction house that are horribly overpriced even if it's a easily obtained item or reagent or whatever.
Oh and 2 more things. Lag and possible server problems. Lots of both.
But you know what will make all of it worth it?
I GET TO USE A FREAKING *LIGHTSABER* MAN!
Song that's currently stuck in my head: Perturbator - Complete Domination https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBfD1-aOiwI
Probably lots of balance issues, population issues, individual realms that have 10x the players of other realms. Lots of pain in the ass people. It should be fun, I probably won't be getting it, but Bioware is a good company.
Most likely server queues, the starter zones are going to be jam-packed with people, people will be complaining about EVERYTHING, the same three questions will be asked ad nauseum (How do I complete this quest? When do I get real weapons? How many of you are from WoW? etc). It'll be just like every other launch. I'm probably going to turn chat off for the first 3 or 4 MONTHS, and just talk to my guild. If the past games I've beta'd/foundered in are any indication, it's not going to be smooth.
Thankfully they seem to be 'tiering' the early access crowd, the earlier you ordered the sooner you get to start, or something like that. Meaning, hopefully, a LARGE portion of people will be through the starting areas and into the higher levels by the time the rest of the players start, which makes more room for them and less crowding...although I still expect a ton of crowding, mob camping, and whining. LOTS of whining.
Same thing happened in Rift.
They feel so superior because they have left WoW, that they have to flame anyone who doesn't also hate WoW.
And they wonder why people will troll them in chat... just to see them erupt in anti-WoW tirades.
"Bitter" is a good word for them.
I take some solace in the fact that even though my snarky reply to someone's condescending rhetorical question earned me a 1-week ban, my post was not deleted. I was rather proud of that bit of snark, and I am glad it lives on.
It will be awesome.
I have faith...
I think these people should try a casual simulator like Sims/SimCity or smth. And then pretend their main character is a Mon Calamari/Wookie half-breed that is renowned for his pazzak-playing skills in the Outer Rim.
Or petition the company that made those games for a moisture farming simulator.
- Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
- I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.
These aren't players who want to role play for the sake of immersion, they're nitpicky nerds who expect to have consecutive orgasms upon logging into the game. And there's a chance their whining might make developers take notice and do something silly
it will be the exact same as every other mmo that has released in the last few years
every game is always over hyped, including wow