Thread: Diet.

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Diet.

I'm curious to know the average costs of living in the US. I've seen various studies about the difference in diet between lower and upper classes, various parts of the Us and the estimated cost.

But I've also seen it for my country and find it impossible to figure out how they arrive at these insane figures. I can't link the report, it's an older one from 1999 that my University conducted on behalf of Bord Bia. Basically it claimed that to eat a "balanced diet", logical dead end, it cost about twice to three times as much.

But for me, my girlfriend and several people I know this is not the case. I can arrange a healthy meal, from my local market, for around 5-6 Euro, or the same as a McDonald's meal/generic fast food.

I've seen some research on America but as I've no first hand experience I'm interested in just how expensive would it be to make the following:

Soy fried noodles with greens and a chicken breast;
    1 Chicken breast
    2 Spring Onions
    Soy Sauce (Matter of note, items like spices will be included but from experience these are factored into monthly budgets, not weekly shop. An oversight in many studies that multiply by four to get "months total food cost".)
    Chili powder/flakes/fresh
    Noodles
    1 Bell Pepper.

Here, that'd cost me about 7.50 for two people, or 3.75 each.

I don't calculate what it costs to eat healthy, but one thing I'm sure of is eating out anywhere is going to cost me more than preparing my own healthy meals at home. Fast food meals generally run around 7 bucks today for one person. I can prepare a meal that costs about the same for 2 or 3 people at the same cost. Its not even close.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilcheeks View Post
    I don't calculate what it costs to eat healthy, but one thing I'm sure of is eating out anywhere is going to cost me more than preparing my own healthy meals at home. Its not even close.
    Do you mean at a restaurant? Because I've blown some serious cash in those:P

I mean fast food, low grade and "cheap" food exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Do you mean at a restaurant? Because I've blown some serious cash in those:P

I mean fast food, low grade and "cheap" food exclusively.
    No... fast food prices have risen a lot over the past few years. I eat at those places maybe once a month now if that and the way I order it ends up costing a lot since I usually replace fries with something else. 2 people can cost 16-20 bucks.

I'd much rather put together a quick salad or grill some asparagus or something, get a pound of ground beef and make some tacos... or cook up some chicken. That is pretty cheap and can feed a few people.
    Last edited by Lilcheeks; 2011-11-06 at 07:18 PM.

Deleted
    No... fast food prices have risen a lot over the past few years. I eat at those places maybe once a month now if that and the way I order it ends up costing a lot since I usually replace fries with something else. 2 people can cost 16-20 bucks.
    I've noticed that trend in pretty much every western nation. People complain about rising food prices but still believe that fast food is cheaper. It's pure laziness in some cases, I empathize with the single mom working two jobs and has literally no time to make proper meals. But most people who consume this food have plenty of time to prepare a meal. Another point people make are portions, the fast food portions tend to be larger than what you'd eat if you'd made it yourself.

Right. Laziness and ignorance mostly. There are so many options for meals that you can make at home that wont destroy your insides. If you need to pick something up for food, there are better options than traditional 'fast food' as well.

Depends on the chicken. Are we talking all natural free range chicken? If so you could pay up to $9.99 a pound. Or you could pay peanuts for el cheapo chicken that has 15% sodium solution to enhance flavor(barf).

Bell peppers vary quite a bit too. Green peppers are cheap but for a good red bell pepper you're looking at $3-$4 each.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttfear View Post
    Depends on the chicken. Are we talking all natural free range chicken? If so you could pay up to $9.99 a pound. Or you could pay peanuts for el cheapo chicken that has 15% sodium solution to enhance flavor(barf).

Bell peppers vary quite a bit too. Green peppers are cheap but for a good red bell pepper you're looking at $3-$4 each.
    Those prices sound way off from what I get. I'm in Massachusetts. The chicken price sounds about twice as high and the pepper I'm not sure because I don't really factor price into what I need for produce. But with 1 pepper you should be able to use it for multiple meals or to feed a bunch of people, so ok if it is 4 bucks, that's ok because its divided by the number of people consuming it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttfear View Post

Well I buy my meat from a local butcher, grade A meat. About 2 bucks for a large breast.

4$ for a bell pepper??? I buy 3 for 2 euro from a fresh market....

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Immediately speaking fast food is probably cheaper, but in the long run making food for yourself is far cheaper. Even though you might spend like $20-30$ (this is a very general estimate, don't mock me please), you can use that to feed yourself an entire week pretty happily whereas that is like what, 4 meals at most from a fast food joint?

Well I buy my meat from a local butcher, grade A meat. About 2 bucks for a large breast.

4$ for a bell pepper??? I buy 3 for 2 euro from a fresh market....
    One thing to remember is prices can vary a lot depending on where you live in the states, the type of store you buy it from, and if you buy into the "organic" types of food.
    It would also depend if you take advantage of coupons and sales, it pays to buy stuff on sale and freeze it.

But yes, you can make home cooked meals for cheap. The problem you have here and in most places, people are lazy or just don't care. Or like my brother refuses to eat left overs.

Leftovers are the best! I try to make food that will be an easy leftover to take to lunch at work or whatever.

Deleted
    Leftovers are the best! I try to make food that will be an easy leftover to take to lunch at work or whatever.
    Best I find for this are currys, home made ones with lots and lots of veg are the best. But sadly it's not a popular idea that it's cheaper to make it yourself.

So how many people you know would eat fast food daily/weekly?

Fast food is cheap where I'm from. five or six dollars gets me pretty far. I could spend less on preparing my own food, probably, and I do get canned stuff, but I like fast food. As long as I spread out where I go.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Fast food is cheap where I'm from. five or six dollars gets me pretty far. I could spend less on preparing my own food, probably, and I do get canned stuff, but I like fast food. As long as I spread out where I go.
    Eat it often?

I've noticed that trend in pretty much every western nation. People complain about rising food prices but still believe that fast food is cheaper. It's pure laziness in some cases, I empathize with the single mom working two jobs and has literally no time to make proper meals. But most people who consume this food have plenty of time to prepare a meal. Another point people make are portions, the fast food portions tend to be larger than what you'd eat if you'd made it yourself.
    it is true that alot of it is laziness. people think on the way to school or work, i can get a 2 dollar morning sandwich from burger king drivethrough instead of making a grilled cheese at home.

but fast food is still extremely cheap to the point that its better. even if it isnt fast food, go to a supermarket, all the cheap food is very unhealthy when you compare to a health food store.
    ''If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.'' Quoted from-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy1346 View Post
    it is true that alot of it is laziness. people think on the way to school or work, i can get a 2 dollar morning sandwich from burger king drivethrough instead of making a grilled cheese at home.

but fast food is still extremely cheap to the point that its better. even if it isnt fast food, go to a supermarket, all the cheap food is very unhealthy when you compare to a health food store.
    Not true, as I stated above, you can make healthy food at low costs. Another poster listed some excellent meals for low costs. A "lunch" does not have to be large, it shouldn't in all honesty.

My lunch is usually two pieces of fruit, a yogurt and maybe some granola. Cost: About 2 euro or less.

Eat it often?
    Hell yeah. Everyday for lunch at least, and usually on the weekend too.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Best I find for this are currys, home made ones with lots and lots of veg are the best. But sadly it's not a popular idea that it's cheaper to make it yourself.

So how many people you know would eat fast food daily/weekly?
    Out of the group of friends I have, most of them prefer to make their own food, and those who don't even have a job tend to eat fast food. Seems backwards as shit, but what you can do. I prefer spaghetti or stew myself on any given day, but making sure to have everything ready without it all being eaten quickly is kind of a hassle nowadays.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Hell yeah. Everyday for lunch at least, and usually on the weekend too.
    And you're healthy O_o?

---------- Post added 2011-11-06 at 11:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Netherfall View Post
    Out of the group of friends I have, most of them prefer to make their own food, and those who don't even have a job tend to eat fast food. Seems backwards as shit, but what you can do. I prefer spaghetti or stew myself on any given day, but making sure to have everything ready without it all being eaten quickly is kind of a hassle nowadays.
    I like to have dinner parties with my friends.

Beef wellington with saute potatoes: 6 euro per person, serves 5.