Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

How young is too young?

I am 16 and I have played WoW for 4 years, as of this upcoming summer. My sister who is 10, is interested in the game.

She used to play a rip off of the WoW game called, Free realms, and she wants to play WoW. She is on the lvl 20 beginner edition and loves playing a paladin.

Im very cautious of my sister, and I am wondering if this game is to young for her age, and also, she was obsessed with leveling stuff in the free realms game. 1 character maxed was around 5 or 6 WoW characters at 85.

I picked her a good balanced PvE server, as she requested. She is doing pretty good.

Deleted
    its a p12 game mate :S

My little brother has been playing since he was 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1996P View Post
    I am 16 and I have played WoW for 4 years, as of this upcoming summer. My sister who is 10, is interested in the game.

She used to play a rip off of the WoW game called, Free realms, and she wants to play WoW. She is on the lvl 20 beginner edition and loves playing a paladin.

Im very cautious of my sister, and I am wondering if this game is to young for her age, and also, she was obsessed with leveling stuff in the free realms game. 1 character maxed was around 5 or 6 WoW characters at 85.

I picked her a good balanced PvE server, as she requested. She is doing pretty good.
    Why do you think you're entitled to decide which games your sister can and cannot play? You're both underage. The only people able to make that decision are your parents.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    The game is fine for that age, it's the community that isn't...

I understand your concern especially since a lot of world of warcraft players can be very nasty people and it might offend your sister more than most with her being so young.

- Keep the language filter on
    - Make sure she doesn't play on it for too long,
    - Make sure to tell her not give any of her real life details to anyone.

Look at the rating of the game. Anything younger than what is said is too young.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Came here, expected something else.

Anyway, let her play anything she wants. You will be the awesome brother forever.
    Oh, and prepare her for the community. Maybe disable trade chat or something.
    Heck, or don't do it. Kids these days have access to way worse stuff.

(My father gave me GTAIII as a present when I was 14, it didn't do me any harm)
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

Deleted
    Is she having fun? Then I don't see the problem. Just watch her so she doesn't get bullied by strangers or she doesn't tell real life stuff, kids do that a lot and you'll be fine.

Also, to edit this, why do you think that other game looks like WoW? I went and checked their site, and besides a snowy landscape that might look like Dun Morogh (but now if every snowy landscape is Dun Morogh then every game ever who had snow is a copy of WoW?) I didn't see anything... With all the minigames they have in that Free Realms it looks nothing like WoW in terms of gameplay... really now, now every game is a copy of WoW?
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2011-11-06 at 08:00 PM.

Well, you only have 2 things to fear: Her possibly getting addicted to the game, and people saying some really fucked up shit to her. The second one is just completely unavoidable, especially while in this community. So if she can handle some hardcore pricks giving her a rough time, and doesn't have an addictive personality, I'd say go for it. But keep a close eye on her, need I not tell you how many people are addicted to this game. Try to limit her time in the game and make sure that she's playing the game, and the game's not playing her.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Just keep the language filter on and she'll be fine i guess

Quote Originally Posted by Pope View Post
    (My father gave me GTAIII as a present when I was 14, it didn't do me any harm)
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.

Deleted
    y'know, its not fun to join a group with an healer/dps/tank: "HI im 7 years old!!"

then you know somthing is gonna go wrong =/

Get your parents involved. The game itself is fine for a 10 year old, the people playing it are not. Your parents should talk to her about not giving out real life details on the internet and not adopting the languange used and so on.

And keep her the fuck out of random groups until she can pull her weight. I don't care how old she is, if she wastes anyone elses time she -will- get chewed out.

Wow. I came into this thread like "Okay, he wants to know how young is to young to lose your virginity" and then the first couple of things I read are "Im 16 and my sister is 10" and I was like wow this took a weird turn. And then it turned out to be a meh thread.

Do your sister a favour; don't let her play any MMOs in her life. She'll thank you for it when shes 20 and actually has a social life.

I went into this expecting a post along the lines of "I'm 20 and have a crush on this 14 year old" Or something like that...haha

OT: I'm sure she'll be fine with the game. Just keep the language filter on and educate her on what not to give away over the game etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    Wow. I came into this thread like "Okay, he wants to know how young is to young to lose your virginity" and then the first couple of things I read are "Im 16 and my sister is 10" and I was like wow this took a weird turn. And then it turned out to be a meh thread.

Do your sister a favour; don't let her play any MMOs in her life. She'll thank you for it when shes 20 and actually has a social life.
    LMAO, goddamn I was thinking the same thing, that's fucking hilarious. But I still say if she's mature enough she can have a crack at it. If she starts playing too much (you or your folks have to be the judge of that) then don't hesitate to take it away from her. If she can't handle the game responsibly, she's fucked

I'd say if your under 10 wow is a little mature for that age just because other players can grief or be innapropriate.

All depends on the kid.
    But like stated it's the community thats not that kid proof XD

Quote Originally Posted by Horrid Crow View Post
    The game is fine for that age, it's the community that isn't...
    This, haha. Turn off all chat channels for her.