Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Buying a Internal HD

I'm building my first PC, and I got must of my parts already, but I still need to buy my HD.

My question, what HD should i buy and what I should know before buying? There are so many out there. Some say OEM,
    Bare, and others don't say either one.

Also I have a budget strain, it can't go beyond $80.

Thanks!
    Case: Thermaltake A60
    MB: ASRock Z68 Ext3 Gen3
    CPU: i5 2500k, Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    GPU: HIS 6870 1gb
    PSU: Corsair GS 600
    SSD: Crucial M4 128g

You won't get much for $80 right now... hdd's have doubled or quadrupled in price due to the flooding in thailand.
    Even a 160 gb moderate speed drive will eat up your whole budget.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

First off, I have a little bit of a concern with you building a computer without knowing what goes in one, but, I will just assume that you are going to have someone to help you, when the time comes for the build.

OK, HDDs crash course:

What are all these strange letters?
    OEM: Original Equipment Manufacturer. Basically means that it doesn't come in a box, and id doesn't come with instructions.
    Bare: Most likely means that it doesn't come with any connecting cables
    SATA: Serial ATA (Advanced Technology Attachment) - Currently the most widely used connection interface between motherboard and HDD (or other device) it comes in 1.5, 3, and 6 gbps. Reference your motherboard to see which you need.
    IDE: Integrated Drive Electronics. 'Ribbon cable' interface between motherboard and HDD (or other device). Not used much anymore.
    RPM: Revolutions Per Minute (you probably knew that already). How fast the sucker spins.
    GB: Gigabyte. Today's current norm for space (quickly being taken over by Terabyte (TB).

What to look for?
    Manufacturer: Seagate, Western Digital (These are my suggestions as I have been using there products for roughly 20 years)
    Storage Capacity: How much do you think you need? I would say that currently anything above 100GB is fine.
    RPM: You really have two choices here, 7200 and 10000. With your money constraint, you are going to go with 7200. I personally have never really seen a quantifiable difference in the two. The next step up from these is 15000 which is fast.. but expensive. Honestly a Solid State Drive is the fastest and when you get there, ask me again. I would stick with 7200rpm
    Package: OEM, BARE, BOX.. really up to you. OEM is going to have everything you need, really.. and if you need instructions you can find them free on the Interwebernets.

You can find a good selection at these fine retailers
    www.tigerdirect.com
    www.newegg.com
    Hope this helps.

Thanks to Rivellana for an awesome signature

As taekvideo said, you won't find anything good in the area of HDs for the moment/next six months due to flooding in thailand. If there is any way of scavenging one off of an old system and replacing it with a new one later would be your best bet.
    Intruders detected. Primary defense matrix initiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    If I could sleep next to a running vacuum cleaner, I woudn't care. I cannot, therefore, I care.

edit. took to long to post and questing was already answered by someone else.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all your inputs!
    @Taekvideo: I wasn't aware of the flooding in Thailand.

@Goonygoon: I'm pretty sure I know what goes in one, that's why I'm building it myself. I was just asking, since this is one of my
    remaining parts that i need, and prices have gone up intensely. One of my sources for learning how to build a PC is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56k...feature=relmfu and it seems quite easy! Newegg!

Also does anyone think this one will be a good one? at least for now until prices drop again: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+...&skuId=8682311

Caviar Green drives aren't very fast, but there just aren't good deals in the hard drive market right now. If you can't salvage a drive from another computer I'd pick up whatever drive you can cheaply and then get a better drive next year.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have any HD laying around!

---------- Post added 2011-11-06 at 10:55 PM ----------

Will the RPM affect gameplay? I just play Rift!

---------- Post added 2011-11-06 at 11:07 PM ----------

If anyone can help me with that last question, much appreciated. I googled it but some says yes other say no, and I trust MMO champion
    more than google! lol

I used to work for a company called CEX. They have stores in the UK, a few in the US and a couple of European countries. Just checked their site, and their prices for second hand drives hasn't changed a bit.

They offer 1 year warranties on their hardware, so if you want to get something cheap, see if theres a store near you or if you can buy on the website and have it shipped to you.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    I used to work for a company called CEX. They have stores in the UK, a few in the US and a couple of European countries. Just checked their site, and their prices for second hand drives hasn't changed a bit.

They offer 1 year warranties on their hardware, so if you want to get something cheap, see if theres a store near you or if you can buy on the website and have it shipped to you.
    Thanks I'll check them out!