Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Franchise name Original Release Date Sales
    Warcraft January 15, 1994 19 million[74]
    Warcraft is a fictional universe in which a series of games and books published by Blizzard Entertainment are set. The franchise also includes tabletop games, collectible card games and an upcoming movie. Figure doesn't include World of Warcraft.

Lawl....that stupid. they don't even have WoW anywhere on that.

Looks like Nintendo and EA got all the highest selling games, Activision only got CoD that atleast sold 100 million copies

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Looks like Nintendo and EA got all the highest selling games, Activision only got CoD that atleast sold 100 million copies
    It doesn't count World of Warcraft tho. i'm pretty sure wow would pull ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Enhshamanlol View Post
    It doesn't count World of Warcraft tho. i'm pretty sure wow would pull ahead
    Pull ahead of what? Even with 80 million in sales, it would still be nowhere near the top franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Pull ahead of what? Even with 80 million in sales, it would still be nowhere near the top franchises.
    Oh id idn't know it was 80 mil. hm

Quote Originally Posted by Enhshamanlol View Post
    Oh id idn't know it was 80 mil. hm
    I don't know what it really is, that's a guestimate at the VERY high range (assuming roughly 20 million of classic and each expansion sold, which is VERY generous).

Probably Mario or Zelda.

Everyone's heard of Mario, whether you're a gamer or not. Though everyone has also heard of WoW, mostly from media painting it's notoriety.

And Zelda's OoT is often cited as "the greatest game of all time" by multiple reviewers and players. Inb4 "it's all subjective" because that's true.

No doubt it is Mario.

WoW is nowhere near the top. WoW is not on console. I think if you include all of Warcraft game sold, It woud be around 30-35 million.

Quote Originally Posted by palpableimmunity View Post
    I'm thinking either Mario or Final Fantasy. What do you think?

Consider:

-Franchise with the most main character cameos (Mario?)

-Franchise with most titles (FF?)

-Franchise with most players (Pokemon?)

-Franchise with most profit (ActiBlizzard properties?)
    Mario goes without saying.

Franchises is probally Mario again, unless you count Mario Party, Mario Kart and such as their own franchise.

Pokemon is probally right.

Call of Duty i think for profit. Put a few maps out every month, make an extra $15 from half the players.

Mario straddles FAR more genres then zelda, so its Mario hands down.

I don't really see how people thought Zelda would even come close to competing.

Mario, with Final Fantasy as a close second. Nothing else afterwards comes very close. They've just a ridiculous time advantage over any other competitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    A complex formula using the number of titles sold, number of titles, profitability, and good reviews make it Mario in my eyes.

Where is The Sims? it's always on top of the charts

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skycaptain View Post
    Where is The Sims? it's always on top of the charts
    is this the chart for numbers 20-40 which usually sits next to the top 20 chart?

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    is this the chart for numbers 20-40 which usually sits next to the top 20 chart?
    It's pretty consistently in the top selling PC games, I'm fairly sure. Been a while since I've seen market data like that, but I remember it and it's various expansions being there, usually below WoW boxes.

Sales per game, it'd probably rank pretty well, just not anything else. Only a few actual games, hasn't existed as long as others, etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    It's pretty consistently in the top selling PC games, I'm fairly sure. Been a while since I've seen market data like that, but I remember it and it's various expansions being there, usually below WoW boxes.

Sales per game, it'd probably rank pretty well, just not anything else. Only a few actual games, hasn't existed as long as others, etc.
    i guess so.. even though most of the "expansions" were nothing more than boxed "DLC" which offered nothing more than a few items, and themes. But hey, each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Probably Mario with all the spin off games:

Mario Party

Mario Golf

Mario Tennis

Paper Mario

Mario platformers and such

And I'm pretty sure there's even more...
    Mario Soccer

Mario Baseball

Mario Kart

Mario RPG

And theres still more

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    We're talking about real games here, not something you spend 5 minutes doing while pooping :P

Funny story, speaking of that "game", Rovio has been heralding the end of consoles and the rise of social/mobile gaming.

According to their numbers, 30 million people log on every day and spend a total of 300 million minutes playing. That's an average of 10 minutes per person. Yup, consoles are goin the way of the dinosaur because of Angry Birds!
    Lmao. The day games end up like that is the day I give up gaming. Frankly I'm disgusted by the popularity Angry Birds has gained (for a variety of reasons).

On-topic: I remember seeing a chart of most profitable game franchises maybe about a year ago, with Mario clearly #1 and Pokemon at #2, both far ahead of anything else.

Haven't Blizzard said they've sold around 45-50 million copies of Vanilla WoW (not counting expansions). I guess WoW-Boxes (with expansions) are close to 100million sales to be honest.