Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Holy - Haste versus mastey?

I've read through this guide, http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...uide-%284.2%29 , and it says that haste=mastery and it just depends on what kind of boss you heal.

My character -> http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...kysha/advanced

I really don't know what kind of haste I should aim for. At the moment my haste rating is 659 = 5.15% and mastery on the other hand 1287 rating with 15.18

I don't go oom easily (if I ofc won't to the dreadful Flash Heal spam, when there is too much damage to heal) and my HPS is well... On the lower side.

I've noticed that in random troll HC half of my heals hit the tank or the one who I suppose to heal a bit late, due to the not so short cast time of my healing spells. My mastery on the other hand provides a nice tick over time to heal people.

If I plan to heal FL (on Baleroc got 83 stacks from shard target and didn't see an issue keeping the tank up, although was close to oom most of the time) or any other raid in the future including any heroic dungeons -> what amount of haste is the best to go with or should I keep it the way it is at the moment?

it´s dow to personal preference and setup what is better: there are priest that go for pure haste (faster heals but costs more mana for the same amount of heal), some go for a mix and some fore pure mastery
    i personally would go for pure mastery in 25er man and a mix in 10 man , cause in 25 man you are not alone to heal and you often do not need that faster heal, in 10 man it can matter but i just dont like that pure haste build
    Thanks for that awesome signature i4ni

http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte...ck/Ravy/simple

You need to be at least haste capped at 12.5% (for the added HoT ticks) but after that, stack mastery like a boss

Deleted
    Kezotar check the freaken' forum, it's priest section.

OT: it is very much personal preference, but you do perform better when you actually go for one or the other, not both at the same time, so decide. Personally, I've healed whole FL normal and first 2 bosses on HC with no problem as spirit and mastery stacking build. Though my haste was around 9%-10% unbuffed. I did switch to disc later on, but that's just 'cause you can't really afford a holy priest in 10 man later on.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by myhv View Post
    Kezotar check the freaken' forum, it's priest section.

OT: it is very much personal preference, but you do perform better when you actually go for one or the other, not both at the same time, so decide. Personally, I've healed whole FL normal and first 2 bosses on HC with no problem as spirit and mastery stacking build. Though my haste was around 9%-10% unbuffed. I did switch to disc later on, but that's just 'cause you can't really afford a holy priest in 10 man later on.
    ahhhhhh sorrrrry, hehe thought it was paladin holy -.-, my bad.. I'll remove teh post

the 12.5 haste softcap ist bs it´s not worth getting unless you use renew alot which ist stupid in most of the cases (ragnaros is another case when you move much)
    edit: this is especilly for a pure mastery build because renew does not profit from mastery(the instant part does if you have skilled it but still not worth it)
    Last edited by Ravyna; 2011-11-07 at 01:04 PM.
    Thanks for that awesome signature i4ni

http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte...ck/Ravy/simple

Haste for 10man, Mastery for 25man unless you have 2 resto druids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I could get more haste, couldn't hurt to try. All I have to do is drop few reforges and am done.

Maybe get my haste to about 7-8% unbuffed? If I have higher haste, I should get more spirit as well for faster mana regen in combat?
    (No, not planning to take disc as my OS yet).

In reply to Vook. Won't be healing any of our main 10m raids (with 2 restos as healers), but more alt and pug runs. Still what haste numbers we talking about for 10m?

But if I would want to heal the upoming LFR (25m) I should get mastery again...? Which probably brings me the down to the fact that I have to find balance between the 2 or just reforge before every raid...
    Last edited by Sonnillon; 2011-11-07 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnillon View Post
    In reply to Vook. Won't be healing any of our main 10m raids (with 2 restos as healers), but more alt and pug runs. Still what haste numbers we talking about for 10m?
    There really are no (reachable) "caps" for haste, when you're stacking it. Just get as much as you can.

As for 25man, it's not BAD to stack haste for 25man, it's just that Mastery works better (if you only have 1 resto druid).
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Mastery > Haste for 10 man, hands down.

Haste wins out on 25 man, b/c of the opportunity to spam PoH more often. This is not the case on 10 man.

Secondary stats don't matter alot for healer priests. (except spirit for holy)

Both work equally well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    Haste for 10man, Mastery for 25man unless you have 2 resto druids.
    +1 Exactly This Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Themos View Post
    Mastery > Haste for 10 man, hands down.
    I think this depends on what you are healing with in 10 man. Our group usually has 2 resto druids and a disc/holy priest. In that sort of set-up the holy mastery seems like it would be less valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I think this depends on what you are healing with in 10 man. Our group usually has 2 resto druids and a disc/holy priest. In that sort of set-up the holy mastery seems like it would be less valuable.
    Why? With two resto druids, you'd be PoHing much less (I presume), so Haste would be even less worthwhile, imo.

Single target healing in a 10 with a Mastery heavy build is fantastic, EoL is severely underrated. I roll with a Resto druid and shaman. Depending on the fight sure, but I'm mostly tank healing or cross healing while still in Serenity Chakra. I'm only running Sanctuary for Bethtilac p2 and Domo scorpion. Everywhere else, I'm Serenity in FL. I value Mastery of Haste mostly due to the mana efficiency on top of the HPS. EoL is hands down fantastic. It effects everything I do, save Renew. And from the get go the only place I've had mana issues was on Baeloric when we first downing him on heroic.

I was just thinking that with resto druids blanketing with their HoTs having the Echo of Light HoT going in addition would more often than not lead to overheals as opposed to actual healing.

Deleted
    I have 7.50% haste because we have a boomkin for the extra 5% to make 12.50% then full out mastery. I only heal 10man EoL is all free healing, free healing > faster heals.

That 12.5% breakpoint isn't worth the bother. The only time you really Renew is if you're in Serenity, and under those circumstances the refresh on the HoT negates any breakpoints. It's hard to stay under 12.5% haste even if you tried, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I was just thinking that with resto druids blanketing with their HoTs having the Echo of Light HoT going in addition would more often than not lead to overheals as opposed to actual healing.
    Yea, but you're not blanketing the raid with EoL. With two druids you're basically full time single target healing, usually the tank and wacking triage targets with either FHeal or Gheal. And in a case like that, EoL overheal is minimal. ~20% if not 10%. Not to mention that it serves none of the three healers to completely top everyone off, b/c then everyone's HoTs suffers from overhealing. This is where working with the other healers instead of competing against them benefits the raid's effective HPS as a whole. Even under sloppy overheals from all three, EoL seldom does over 30% overhealing and even then just roll with the punches. Resto druids themselves are considered fantastic raid healers, and their overhealing is in the 30-35% region, typically.

Especially when focused on few direct healing targets, constant Renew rolling and EoL is a lot of added healing on top of the direct heals themselves. Even with that under consideration, EoL is still a very powerful healing mastery and synergies very well with our whole kit (save renew). It works very well. On a fight like Bethtilac during P1, it shines. I can heal 2 melee that come up to DPS the boss while I keep the tank and myself alive on heroic mode with very high efficiency and then can go into P2 with full mana and all cooldowns ready for timed use.
    Last edited by Themos; 2011-11-07 at 09:13 PM.

I'm currently specced disc since I'm in a 10 man raid at the moment. But I was holy several months ago in a 25 man guild, I aimed for 12.5% haste and stacked the crap outta mastery - was either top heals or at least a close second on every fight ^_^

This was back before 4.1 though, so I'm not sure if that way of gearing is still relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Themos View Post
    That 12.5% breakpoint isn't worth the bother. The only time you really Renew is if you're in Serenity, and under those circumstances the refresh on the HoT negates any breakpoints. It's hard to stay under 12.5% haste even if you tried, but still.
    If the only time you use Renew is when you're in Serenity you're doing it wrong. Sanctuary gives a 15% increase in healing done by Renew and the HPM of Renew if it gets its full duration is as good as Heal.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Mazi View Post
    If the only time you use Renew is when you're in Serenity you're doing it wrong. Sanctuary gives a 15% increase in healing done by Renew and the HPM of Renew if it gets its full duration is as good as Heal.
    I don't even cast Heal in raids this tier at all (I dont even have it bound anymore).
    And Renew is so low on the priority list when in Sanct, it isn't even funny:

-CoH
    -PoH(3+ targets)
    -PoM
    -Binding Heal (*need health missing)
    -Fheal/GHeal
    -Renew

Renew while in Sanct chakra only really becomes a go to spell when you're very mobile, CoH/PoM are on cd, and don't have the luxury to stop and cast something else. I would never condone gearing around the breakpoint for Renew @ 12.5% this tier. Next tier, doesn't look like anything changes.