Thread: Best EXP Gain?

Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Question Best EXP Gain?

    So, I still have all of my EXP boosting potions, both from the half-birthday and veteran, but I have no idea what the best use for them is. Grinding? Dungeons? Rifts? It seems like I really missed the boat for all the good stuff like when it worked for chronicles and quest experience.

    Also, am I completely nuts or do you, in fact, get EXP from rift mobs you do damage to even if they're tagged? There was a thread complaining about people refusing to join public groups, tagged mobs, etc., but I swear I still get EXP. Maybe it's just a reduced amount? Maybe I'm just crazy? :P

  2. #2
    Heya,

    I've been using the experience boosting pots any time that I know I can play for over an hour, and I think they work quite well. as a novice, I still don't know what grants you the best XP/hour, but generally speaking I'm level 21 after 9 hours of play (maybe even less) and I'm taking my time to also level up professions, and exploring the world, collecting artifacts and collectibles, etc.. and working on my inert mount egg!

    Having closed some rifts and participated in two zone events (such an awesome experience) while not being in a public group, I noticed that I was still getting XP and levelling up, so I think there is an experience gain irrespective of whether or not a mob is tagged.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

  3. #3
    PVP, stuff dies and gives xp even if you are not the one who kills it.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post
    Heya,

    and working on my inert mount egg!
    Patch 1.6 starts on Nov 16th from what most of us think and Trion said mid-November, so try and get that knocked out, since a new event will be starting soon.

    @OP Best way is instance XP. You can cap 50 extremely fast doing back to back runs. I think it defeats the entire point of the game and you do not get to do any of the story quest or see the zone events for each area, but that is the most efficient way.
    http://raptr.com/puremallace/about

    What has been made by QQ can be unmade by QQ!!!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    You can cap 50 extremely fast doing back to back runs.
    Ah, I'm already 50. I'm looking to get planar levels (and mostly to get rid of these potions while not wasting them). However, maybe I should wait until 1.6? Maybe the Ember Isle content will give more EXP than what's currently available?

  6. #6
    I would think for the XP pots, invasions/dungeon's/raiding would probably be the best.

    If your in a raid guild, I would think using them on farm nights could produce good results, although hammering invasions during the afternoon when they seem to be peak'ing and going from 1 to the next is probably the best use.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Ah, I'm already 50. I'm looking to get planar levels (and mostly to get rid of these potions while not wasting them). However, maybe I should wait until 1.6? Maybe the Ember Isle content will give more EXP than what's currently available?
    Mobs out on Ember have 13k health and give about 1.2k xp per. It used to be 600 before we had them give more. There is something called a Onslaught mechanic where you upgrade a outpost with a new ability you get and it attracts Rift invasions and is pretty epic.

    There are about 127 quest and Caduceus Rise is the most beautiful instance I have seen in a mmo in years. You actually have multiple routes you can take and do not need to do the bosses in a linear fashion. It is laid out more like a raid, but with 11 bosses and 5 people lol

    Also best thing to do is do not think about Planar Attunement as something you need to grind out or you will give yourself heart damage. After you finish any of the tiers, then come 1.6 there is Tier 2 Planar attunements
    http://raptr.com/puremallace/about

    What has been made by QQ can be unmade by QQ!!!

  8. #8
    mobs on ember isle still give 920 exp, as of 10mins ago

  9. #9
    Wait for Ember Island and farm the major invasions and L52 mobs between events for the XP pots. If you absolutely must burn them now, clear as many invasions as possible in Stillmoor while farming the two-headed giants in the west end or second tier elites outside ROS.

    Stillmoor giants/elites award the highest XP per hour currently if you can handle the pulls and wreck face.

    Best strategy is: travel to a farm spot in Stillmoor. Pop your XP vials. Go into the Chronicles and clear them as fast as possible. Zone out and farm elites/giants immediately making a circuit along the western edges of the forest in Stillmoor and Caer Thalos. Or from the east side of EC down to the golems back up the west side to the GSB.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2011-11-07 at 09:04 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Patch 1.6 starts on Nov 16th from what most of us think and Trion said mid-November, so try and get that knocked out, since a new event will be starting soon.
    Do you lose out on the opportunity to still craft the mount?, is there like no common currency that you can like for example convert existing world tokens into, in order to continue working on it! I need so many of the currency to get the existing items I like! (helm, satchel, Mount, and the Kaliri costume!!!)
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

  11. #11
    Best advice I can give Antipathy, is do the dailies right away, then pay attention to those zone events of the Fire/Earth type. Take out the invasions and rifts for those constantly and you should get enough of the event currency to get what you want. I don't have an alt around your level so I don't know how hard it may be though.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelmari View Post
    Best advice I can give Antipathy, is do the dailies right away, then pay attention to those zone events of the Fire/Earth type. Take out the invasions and rifts for those constantly and you should get enough of the event currency to get what you want. I don't have an alt around your level so I don't know how hard it may be though.
    thank you for the feedback (in both threads) in 2 days I have like 230 tokens or so, but I have not been aggressive enough in chasing events or rifts to get more because I've been focused on levelling, exploring the world, and getting professions up. I figured that maybe you can still get these items after the next patch because existing tokens can be converted to the other tokens.

    Appreciate your help!
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post
    Do you lose out on the opportunity to still craft the mount?, is there like no common currency that you can like for example convert existing world tokens into, in order to continue working on it! I need so many of the currency to get the existing items I like! (helm, satchel, Mount, and the Kaliri costume!!!)
    You only lose the capacity to gain the eggs. The world events are meant to be time limited and the devs said the rewards and currencies will not repeat or be used again.

    Once it's gone, it's gone.

  14. #14
    I guess I will wait for Ember Island. Thanks everyone.

    Re: Antipathy

    At level 21 you have the benefit of doing both Silverwood/Gloamwood and/or Freemarch/Stonefield. The main thing you need to remember is mobs can be no lower than 7 levels of you to grant experience and you don't get currency from what doesn't give you experience. So, at 21 you'll need rifts/invasion packs level 14 and higher. Since you should still be in the level 1-29 channel you'll probably be alerted to Silverwood/Freemarch invasions. Scarlet Gorge invasions may also be an option if you can manage to get into a raid group, but generally they're around the level 25-28 range.

    I could possibly offer more tips if I knew what faction you are.

  15. #15
    Dreadlord Primalthirst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    842
    Another good way to do it is to get a couple of alts to Sanctum/Meridian and do the daily event quests on those characters as well since the currency is Bound to Accout you can mail it to your main to get it decked out in all the finery. I'd focus on getting the 24 slot bag first, the rest is just fluff.

  16. #16
    Dreadlord Sentinel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    845
    Can anyone tell me a good thing to do to get exp besides questing? I'm sitting around 2 days 2 hours /played on my Cleric and I'm only level 32.

    I try Rifts but they aren't a good source of exp, plus if I am able to make it past all the bonus stages, the elite at the end murders me before I can get it to 60% health. I'd hate to see a warrior try to take that behemoth on!!

    I don't pvp anymore since I've been in like 7-10 codexes, and lost every single one.I abandoned the daily "Win one match in Codex" daily in disgust. I hate being Guardian more and more every day, but I love the Mathosians too much. I also like the Guardians' sense of holy retribution and spellpower over the Defiants' tech and steampunk ways. That's probably only because I like magic way more than tech when it comes to fantasy.

    Also, I try to be only DPS in LFG, which means I pop a dungeon every 30-60 minutes. I do have a warden soul spec, but I dislike healing because of how awkward it feels and how easily tanks die if you look away for even a second.
    Last edited by Sentinel; 2011-11-08 at 04:39 AM.
    "This one last bullet you mention is my one last shot at redemption, because I know to live you must give your life away."

    Your friendly neighborhood white lion.

  17. #17
    Re: Sentinel

    Tip! You can wait out the timer on whichever stage is the last one you can solo. You'll still get credit for closing the rift and won't have to deal with the elite. I'm surprised that they're not good EXP for you though, most of my characters leveled heavily via rifts/invasions. I would at least try to get in on the colossus kills for invasions. I don't know how much EXP they give at lower levels, but at 50 it's over 10k. Oh, and supposedly footholds give a high amount of EXP as well.

    I don't PvP, but from what I've heard whatever battlegroup Wolfsbane is in Guardians frequently win, or at least I constantly see Defiants complaining about how they always lose. :P That's only for the level 50 range though, but if you've no ties on your current server you might consider transferring.

  18. #18
    Dreadlord Primalthirst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    842
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    Also, I try to be only DPS in LFG, which means I pop a dungeon every 30-60 minutes. I do have a warden soul spec, but I dislike healing because of how awkward it feels and how easily tanks die if you look away for even a second.
    I've been recently levelling a Cleric alt and it's currently at level 29. I've found Warden/Sentinel to be amazing for healing and really quite easy. A lot of the time 4 stacks of Soothing Stream is all I need to keep the tank up, so that means one instant cast every 10 seconds, couldn't be simpler than that. I recommend visiting http://dulfycleric.wordpress.com/201...r-new-players/ The other articles have good info on soloing specs and Cleric builds at max level.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    Can anyone tell me a good thing to do to get exp besides questing? I'm sitting around 2 days 2 hours /played on my Cleric and I'm only level 32.
    Honest and true answer is to quest. If questing is falling short, then dungeons are the way to go- but you must embrace the flexibility Rift is predicated upon.

    Be willing to tank, heal, support and DPS in LFG queues. Or the pace and frequency of LFG runs is going to be worse than questing.

    However, as a cleric you should be unstoppable in the open world. Easily blowing through quests and able to take on elites 1-2 level higher or 5-9 mobs at a time. Clerics are widely regarded as being the most powerful class in the open world with good reason; zero downtime, defense of a tank, passive healing, active healing, HUGE AOE farming and limitless mana.

    If you can't power through the simple quests like a buzzsaw through a stick of slightly warm butter-- my advice is to reevaluate your spec and ensure you are using the proper stats/rotations.

    Unlike games where the classes are more singular, such as WOW or EQ, Rift's class talent trees are sorta meant to be swapped out frequently. A poor spec might be the problem.

    I try Rifts but they aren't a good source of exp, plus if I am able to make it past all the bonus stages, the elite at the end murders me before I can get it to 60% health. I'd hate to see a warrior try to take that behemoth on!!
    Rifts are a good source of XP, but you really want are the invasions. The best EXP in the game comes off invasions. Esp. elite invasions if you are able to handle them.

    I don't pvp anymore since I've been in like 7-10 codexes, and lost every single one.I abandoned the daily "Win one match in Codex" daily in disgust. I hate being Guardian more and more every day, but I love the Mathosians too much. I also like the Guardians' sense of holy retribution and spellpower over the Defiants' tech and steampunk ways. That's probably only because I like magic way more than tech when it comes to fantasy.
    I don't PVP either.

    Also, I try to be only DPS in LFG, which means I pop a dungeon every 30-60 minutes. I do have a warden soul spec, but I dislike healing because of how awkward it feels and how easily tanks die if you look away for even a second.
    LFG is not going to work out well if you are unwilling &/or unable to tank, DPS, heal and support equally.

    There are thousands in the queue wanting to DPS. Only 3-4 dudes are healing and 2 are tanking. Simple supply / demand issue.

    I leveled my warrior to 50 in a week off LFG runs solely. Only went from tutorial->Silverwood and LFG'd as a tank while sitting in Sanctum. A week to 50 without leaving the city. That's how in demand tanks are/were.

    Rift is about being flexible in your class- have to key into that if you want to excel.

  20. #20
    Dreadlord Sentinel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Honest and true answer is to quest. If questing is falling short, then dungeons are the way to go- but you must embrace the flexibility Rift is predicated upon.

    Be willing to tank, heal, support and DPS in LFG queues. Or the pace and frequency of LFG runs is going to be worse than questing.

    However, as a cleric you should be unstoppable in the open world. Easily blowing through quests and able to take on elites 1-2 level higher or 5-9 mobs at a time. Clerics are widely regarded as being the most powerful class in the open world with good reason; zero downtime, defense of a tank, passive healing, active healing, HUGE AOE farming and limitless mana.

    If you can't power through the simple quests like a buzzsaw through a stick of slightly warm butter-- my advice is to reevaluate your spec and ensure you are using the proper stats/rotations.

    Unlike games where the classes are more singular, such as WOW or EQ, Rift's class talent trees are sorta meant to be swapped out frequently. A poor spec might be the problem.
    I do follow a duracell inquis/justi/sham spec and after 30 and getting Reparation/Doctrine of Bliss, I am unstoppable in most cases. I come from games that punish you with your life if you come in contact with more than 2 mobs, so I TRY to 1v1 when I can. It hasn't gotten me killed yet, so I'll stick with that.

    On note of those elites, they are the ones at the end of fire/earth ones. I hear those elites are superpowered this patch, and that they are pretty much unsoloable. I have tried to solo the level 12 ones in Silverwood but I get hit for like 300 damage every second, I just can't stay alive. It took a tank and I, as healer, about 3 or 4 minutes to down an elite in Gloamwood last week.

    I'll try picking up a tank spec later then, I guess. I'm just really trying to save my platinum for the level 50 mount.
    "This one last bullet you mention is my one last shot at redemption, because I know to live you must give your life away."

    Your friendly neighborhood white lion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •