Deleted

Healing Ragnaros (heroic 10man)

So tonight my guild's going for some serious tries on Ragnaros heroic difficulty (10man), and I'll be healing alongside a holy paladin. Now I'm wondering what would be better, me staying as Discipline or respeccing to Holy? (if it's only a matter of preference I prefer disc slightly over holy) I'll probably be stuck with raidhealing mostly.

From other threads on this forum I get the feeling that I might have to reforge back some of the spirit I used for haste/mastery if I were to stay disc, but that kind of feels like a waste for the other bosses.

armory: eu[dot]battle[dot]net/wow/en/character/frostmane/Klydan/advanced

Tips & suggestions are welcomed with open arms

For 10m disc. Always disc. You do so much single target healing, and pre-shielding the raid going into P4 is very helpful. You are also getting barrier for one of your seed phases, not to mention PI for a DPS (or yourself if your ooming), and PS for tanks going out for roots in P4.

Deleted
    Not sure AA/A spec is appropriate on this boss because your atonement won't hit when you attack Rag (I might be wrong but it was the case for Al'Akir). Also, I found I did not have a lot of spare time to Smite in P1-2.
    I'd go with Mental Agility too. I spam shield before seeds explode when running in P2. Helps a lot.
    1678 SPI might be a little low for this fight. Depends a lot on what your HPal will do I guess. I had 1750 on my tries and chose to grab 2/2 Veiled shadow et up SPI a little when I changed partner from a RDruid to a HPal.
    GL!

I ran progression attempts/kill on H Rag with about 2k spirit. It felt just about right. Like Sinn said above, you do not want to be AA/A spec as it is not really suited for this fight and the healing from it does not work. Once we had him down and on farm, I toyed with a bit less spirit (1800ish).

Deleted
    Thanks for the responses guys, but I see holy is out of the question? I figured with a holy paladin as partner it might've been better so you wouldn't be stuck single target healing player after player hoping #10 won't die before you reach him.

I would not go holy.

You do a lot of single target/tank healing and disc will always shine when it comes to that. Also the above mentioned cds/buff.

Our priest healer started our HC Rag (10 man) attempts as disc, and ended up swapping to holy. Our other healer is a holy paladin. He liked holy much better than disc, and the raid seemed in better shape. He drops lightwell at a crossing point for the raid in P2, so we can all utilize it when the adds are out. He's toyed with a few different specs, but I think he stuck with a pretty standard holy spec in the end. I think it really depends on your group makeup and individual strategy. Holy does just fine on this fight from what I've seen in our runs. Try both and see which works best for your gear setup and play style.

I'd say disc but try both see which one you do better with.

I would say certain specs shine on certain phases of the fight. I have not healed this on my priest but I have on my druid. There is a lot of raid damage to heal up but none of it is actually threatening damage (except for maybe son transitions). As a disc priest I would probably be most worried about scion+sons transition, where there is a lot of tank damage but also a ton of raid damage at the same time. Everyone is also really spread out making PoH subpar. Holy will definitely be stronger in that situation, however phase 4 is all about the tanks and I think that will be best for disc, though body and soul might be useful for tanks who are running out to deal with roots. Superheated is a lot of raid damage when going from patch to patch but as long as you aren't in a raid full of retards, a full hp pool should be enough buffer to run from point to point without a heal.

Holy will be better at getting the raid back up but if you really examine the fight critically you will see that you will very rarely wipe from overwhelming raid damage. People might think the raid seems less stable with a disc priest because people will generally drop lower and take longer to get topped off, but the reality is that the only way a dps will really die on this fight is if they kill themselves through world in flames/meteor impacts/superheated damage. Holy paladins are strong enough to keep the tanks up alone for the first 3 phases, which makes going holy optimal for those phases, but p4 tank damage really starts to stack up and thats when you will want to be disc.

Holy is better for Ragnaros but it is your opinion. Both work and you will do better with the spec you prefer.
    Has opinions about stuff.
    Character - Danrar (Forever Holy Priest)

Quote Originally Posted by Sakamae View Post
    Our priest healer started our HC Rag (10 man) attempts as disc, and ended up swapping to holy. Our other healer is a holy paladin. He liked holy much better than disc, and the raid seemed in better shape. He drops lightwell at a crossing point for the raid in P2, so we can all utilize it when the adds are out. He's toyed with a few different specs, but I think he stuck with a pretty standard holy spec in the end. I think it really depends on your group makeup and individual strategy. Holy does just fine on this fight from what I've seen in our runs. Try both and see which works best for your gear setup and play style.
    I play disc on every fight except hm rag, i dont know why but i just found holy easier to work with our holy paladin. Both are doable though, like others said, try both and see what feels more comfortable.

Deleted
    Fist night of tries behind me, and i gotta say that fight is pretty intense! Went as disc, and i think i might stick with that, since preshielding traps is working like a charm and about as mana efficient as casting greater heal on everyone. However, I still might try out holy since we didn't get past phase 2 yet. So i'm wondering how you would deal with (for example) the trap damage as holy, are you just keeping renew on everyone? I remember a resto druid who raided with us complaining about people being to spread out for wild growth to work at its best, wouldn't this be the same for circle of healing?

Quote Originally Posted by Klydan View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys, but I see holy is out of the question? I figured with a holy paladin as partner it might've been better so you wouldn't be stuck single target healing player after player hoping #10 won't die before you reach him.
    on 10man rag hc holy is perfectly fine for raid healing, discipline works fine as well. i personally like holy for that a bit more.

thing to remember, if you decide to go discipline (but also useful for holy) make sure that groups/positions are sorted properly, so you can use poh at least semi-efficiently after traps in p1, or even during the transition phase.

Deleted
    I've been doing progress as disc with low gear holy pally and we didn't have any problems. power infusion after pull, on 1st and 3rd seeds and you cannot run out of mana. I'm running 2k spirit without jaws (they never drop) or shard of woe (i wish a got that trinket). if you like disc more than holy, there is no need to respec from it.

Deleted
    I can not speak of the disc/holy specs, but I am a holy paladin and have a priest in my guild. And really I've to heal a looooot more when he specs holy for "fun", even tho it makes me heal more.

He usually specs disc for rag10hm and I can chill more.
    All the pre shilding and stuff really helps a lot.