Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackspur View Post
    But the post you were replying to was in relation to the 'problems' with steam. And buying a Hard copy over a digital makes no difference as you can download the game then turn it to offline aswell, that's what I was kinda getting at, anyways I am buying the physical disc :P
    Ah I see what you mean, yeah, you could just download it even if you have the disc(which is a nice option if you lose the disc!). Personally, i don't like steam for large games(mostly due to download speeds and poor server uptimes for big launches), it's great for small indie games though.

I don't really see the issue with steam DRM even if you had to be connected to the internet to play, it;s not like I will be playing whilst travelling.
    For me, the issue is because when you do that, like with how Blizzard is doing Diablo, is that you're basically renting the game. To have to be connected to THEIR servers be reliant on THEIR uptime means that YOU don't have control over your playtime, at least not in the same way you would as games that never need to be connected after registration. It also means that you have to be paying for 24/7 internet service, which is expensive and if you need to cut your personal costs or move to a new area and have some time without internet or heck, if the ISP is down for a while(common in my area).

Basically the short answer is: constant internet connection takes control out of the hands of the owner and makes them reliant on the services of others. At least there was telephone verification for people w/o internet for registration...but requiring a 24/7 connection for a game w/no regular online component(like Diablo 3's AH) is not right IMO.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    No, if you purchase it on a disc, you install it with the disc and use Steam to validate the game, you can then switch Steam into offline mode and continue playing. You do not have to download the game through Steam even if you buy it on a disc. If that were the case, why even sell a disc? Why not just include an activation code?
    Wrong, only a few standard game files will be on the disc. The rest you will have to download through Steam. Buying it through Steam or on Disc it doesn't really matter as you can put both in offline mode. As I said though if you want to purchase it cheaper find a place that sells it cheaper and purchase it, you'll just have to wait till finish downloading the rest of the files. Where as people who get it through Steam can pre-load all the files (not just the ones that are on the disc), can play it right at midnight. Now if you don't care about playing right at launch then it's whatever, but there's individuals who are going to play this game from launch till end credits.

---------- Post added 2011-11-07 at 03:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    For me, the issue is because when you do that, like with how Blizzard is doing Diablo, is that you're basically renting the game. To have to be connected to THEIR servers be reliant on THEIR uptime means that YOU don't have control over your playtime, at least not in the same way you would as games that never need to be connected after registration. It also means that you have to be paying for 24/7 internet service, which is expensive and if you need to cut your personal costs or move to a new area and have some time without internet or heck, if the ISP is down for a while(common in my area).

Basically the short answer is: constant internet connection takes control out of the hands of the owner and makes them reliant on the services of others. At least there was telephone verification for people w/o internet for registration...but requiring a 24/7 connection for a game w/no regular online component(like Diablo 3's AH) is not right IMO.
    Ya DRM's like that are dumb. I mean what's the point of connecting to the internet to play a single-player only game? Those are the types of games I like to save when going on long trips where I know I won't have internet connections for a very long time. Which is why Steam is good. Also with the offline mode you can install Single Player games on Steam on multiple computers and then just set it offline and go to the regular computer and not have to worry about it. I do this so that my little sister can play puzzle games that I got on sale while I play CSS or TF2.
    Last edited by davep; 2011-11-07 at 08:18 PM.

I bought the game through Gamestop(shudder) just for the cloth map. I don't even have a CD Drive on my PC so I'll just be getting the code and downloading the whole thing through Steam anyway!

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    no one getting it for console?

You can get a physical copy for about 30% less than it costs on steam.

Its true that steam offers some good deals on games, I just don't like having a program running so that I can play a game that I have bought. Steams does have an offline mode that I use most of the time just cause I don't like having it communicating with other computers well I'm not looking (not that I have anything illegal I just like my privacy).

Anyway I pre-ordered the physical copy mainly because when I did there wasn't a way to do so on steam. Plus I liked the extra swag.

Guys I have a question. When I bought MW2 on PC, when I downloaded it from disc it came up on my steam list and let me download it from steam and made my disc useless so it was all on my steam account. Will Skyrim also be like this?

Steam

DD (Digital Distribution)

Is the way of the future...discs are already becoming obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackspur View Post
    Does this mean that there simply won't be mods, or that it will be significantly harder to mod?
    I have oblivion and steam and its super easy to mod so no

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafter View Post
    Guys I have a question. When I bought MW2 on PC, when I downloaded it from disc it came up on my steam list and let me download it from steam and made my disc useless so it was all on my steam account. Will Skyrim also be like this?
    Yes (although you can force steam to install it from disc as well, here's how).

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how many people are getting an infraction just for suggesting pirating it.... I love Bethesda though and Will buy it on disc asap.

Deleted
    I gonna wait i think...Anno 2070 incoming next 18.nov^^
    gonna buy uncharted 3 + skyrim early/mid 2012 when prices drop.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Disc cause I want the physical map so I can hang it in my room.

Deleted
    I've preordered it on a physical DVD, mostly because as many already suggested, it's cheaper. I dont really care, I'll probaly end up throwing my dvd away by accident anyway :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballom View Post
    no one getting it for console?
    I'm sure millions of people are, but this is mainly a forum for WoW players which means they are likely PC people who have dumped money into a decent rig. Why on earth would anyone play a game on a console, excluding multiplayer, when they could play it on PC and get the advantage of the modding community and far better looking graphics, especially since controls aren't a concern if you don't like using a keyboard and own an XboX controller.

I need to get an xboX controller and actually try that out for Skyrim. I have two old wired controllers, but both of them are missing the end part of the cord that plugs in and makes it a USB. Can't find the damn things anywhere lol.

I was thinking about this for a bit but went for steam in the end. There was only a price difference of $2 between retail and steam which annoyed me, but I can pre-download on steam so don’t have to worry about installing and it will patch automatically in the future

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Event Horizon View Post
    I was thinking about this for a bit but went for steam in the end. There was only a price difference of $2 between retail and steam which annoyed me, but I can pre-download on steam so don’t have to worry about installing and it will patch automatically in the future
    steam should auto patch weather its CD or not....the nice preloading is cool but untill they reem you and wait another 10 hours to unlock it liek they did with MW3 which made me laugh instead of 12am EST it was unlocked at 10am EST so if you watch word before hand Disc might be better

Deleted
    Going for disc, my download speed isn't that great so I don't like to buy anything from steam.

I believe there was some problems with modding for oblivion if you had it through steam and I'm not sure if they've fixed it for Skyrim, but I doubt it. If you want to enjoy the experience the modding community (which is absolutely wonderful) brings, get the disk. However, if you just want to enjoy the game how it is feel free to get it on steam.