10+ Year Old Account

Skyrim PC Spec question

Some have told me my system might not be optimal for running Skyrim, but I'm pretty sure I'm at or above recommended?

I've got:

Windows 7 64bit
    Intel Core i3 CPU 550 3.20GHz
    6GB RAM
    GeForce GTS 450

Any insight or clarification would be great

Found this after a quick search:

The minimum PC requirements, as tweeted by Bethesda's Pete Hines:

Dual-core CPU, 2.0 GHz or faster
    2 GB RAM
    DirectX 9.0c video card with 512 MB RAM
    6 GB HDD space
    Windows XP/Vista/7 [32 or 64-bit]
    Internet access for Steam activation

And the recommended spec:

Quad-core CPU
    4 GB RAM
    DirectX 9.0c video card with 1 GB RAM - GTX 260/Radeon 4890 or higher
    6 GB HDD space
    Windows XP/Vista/7, internet access, etc.

So I'd say your good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen the minimum and recommended specs, and mine seems to be higher then the recommended, but I've gotten negative feedback on my graphics card, which I'm unsure of since I don't know how to compare it.

I'm not the best with computers. lol :/

You should be fine, although I would only say at medium settings, the video card is somewhat of a bottleneck

google can I run it and go to the systems requirments website, it will scan your pc and tell you
    Ben Kenobi "This isn't the signature you are looking for."

Check out GPUreivew.com they have a tool that I find is very helpful in comparing graphics cards.

Here's a link to the comparison tool: http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php

10+ Year Old Account
    Did the Can I Run It scan, only thing that doesn't pass is the graphics card. Is the GeForce GTS 450 that subpar? :|

Quote Originally Posted by Malizio View Post
    Did the Can I Run It scan, only thing that doesn't pass is the graphics card. Is the GeForce GTS 450 that subpar? :|
    Your card isn't much lower than the recommended. You can use this link to compare. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

In theory you Should be able to run it just fine. If you do need to up grade I recommend the AMD Radeon HD 6770 (or 5770, same card the 6770 is just a rebage), I currently use it the only issue I have is some comparability issues with older games, but most graphics cards have that issue. Its also relatively inexpensive.
    Last edited by Kaosbringer; 2011-11-08 at 01:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also keep in mind the recommended specs won't get you near top tier graphics. They've actually come out to say you will need a considerably beefier rig for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodah View Post
    Also keep in mind the recommended specs won't get you near top tier graphics. They've actually come out to say you will need a considerably beefier rig for that.
    True however what most people mistakenly believe is that every options should be max out for the best graphics (true for older games), however with the days of High resolution/HD monitors many options (AA) are not as effective/ have a small impact on what you see. This is mainly do to the high pixel count which will hide many flaws from the the naked human eye. On my computer I can run most games close to or at max with respectable FPS, but I can scale back settings and see little difference in the total quality of the graphics and run games at 60 FPS (the standard fps limit most consoles and TV are limited to, to keep performance optimal). Also note that the human eye can only see roughly 24 FPS so as long as your FPS doesn't dip below about 30-35 FPS it will always look fluid for the most part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaosbringer View Post
    True however what most people mistakenly believe is that every options should be max out for the best graphics (true for older games), however with the days of High resolution/HD monitors many options (AA) are not as effective/ have a small impact on what you see. This is mainly do to the high pixel count which will hide many flaws from the the naked human eye. On my computer I can run most games close to or at max with respectable FPS, but I can scale back settings and see little difference in the total quality of the graphics and run games at 60 FPS (the standard fps limit most consoles and TV are limited to, to keep performance optimal). Also note that the human eye can only see roughly 24 FPS so as long as your FPS doesn't dip below about 30-35 FPS it will always look fluid for the most part.
    Aye, My rig should be able to get it on max anyways. I just didn't want anyone to come in here, see the recommended, and think they could run max. Let downs are bad and all that.

agreed. I my self will likely need to have this run on moderate setting as my processor is a 2.3GHz Phenom 9650 Quad-Core which is likely my weakest point when it comes to gaming. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Malizio View Post
    It is slower than a GTX260: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/316?vs=318
    Which is the recommended minimum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please use the Skyrim megathread for discussions.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...m-Anticipation