Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Hopefully someone on THIS forum can help me (Virtual Memory Q?)

I asked on a different site/forum and got no replies so far so if you know about hardware/Virtual Memory please give me some feedback.

I'm confused about my virtual memory.

I saw a post about somebody having lag issues while playing games.
    Somebody posted as a solution that their Virtual Memory should be set 50% lower than the computer recommended minimum and set to 150% as the max.

Well here's mine. Should I change this? And would this help with my lag issues while playing games such as WoW?

Space available: 47598MB

my min and max set sizes are:
    Min (MB): 1536
    Max (MB) 3072

[Min allowed 2MB, recommended 1533MB]

The recommended setting is listed for a reason.
    The setting itself really is not useful on modern computers (removed from windows 7 if I remember correctly) unless you have a very limited amount of ram (under 2gigs)

To be honest though you really should lower the minimum size as windows will automatically allocate that space to the paging file thus slowing down your computer

Maximum setting more so just allows you to keep going where you would normally get a system out of memory error msg
    (however using harddrive space as ram causes your computer to slow down)

But yeah go with the recommended settings.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah thankyou! Atleast I have some enlightenment on the subject. I have 2GB of ram.

You're actually better off manually assigning the virtual memory space rather than letting Windows manage it on it's own. If your HDD has the capacity, you typically want the min and max to be set to 1.5x the amount of physical memory in the system. In the OP's case, 3072MB. You can go as high as 2x if you wanted, but not usually necessary.

Reasons being the dynamic resizing of the page file can lead to fragmentation (despite unsubstantiated claims it does not) and cause a gradual loss in performance as a result.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    In the OP's case, 3072MB.
    So as my max is set to 3072. What would you set it as?

Change virtual memory settings to manual instead of letting windows decide, then do the following:

1) turn virtual memory completely off and reboot
    2) defragment harddisc twice
    3) turn virtual memory minimum and maximum to 3072 setting a fixed size for it
    4) reboot

After that you will have fixed size virtual memory that never gets fragmented and will run at it's best possible speed.

People who have a lot of RAM already in the computer can turn the virtual memory lower so that it gets used less, and instead the computer goes for the actual physical memory more aggressively to reduce swapping of programs in and out. For example I have 8GB of RAM, and virtual memory minimum and maximum sizes locked to 512MB. This means there's very little space for the virtual memory and it will not get used much at all unless the whole 8GB is actually full, and that has not still happened even while running WoW live and PTR at the same time and editing boss kill video.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.