How to complain effectively

We have a really good core team of 10-13 players who all mesh together really well. That is, except for our mage. Everyone willingly accepts responsibility on certain tasks (focus rageface, blow up broodlings, soak shards, fly, blow up traps, etc.) except said mage. He's so worried about his own personal dps and gear, he forgoes any tasks. If given a certain task, its almost a given he will either ignore it (blame lag, graphics, zoom...) or fails to do task correctly. Normally its not an issue, but lately, its been bothering a couple of us in the raid. While this is disturbing enough, he almost always rolls, and wins heroic loot. He is probably 2nd or 3rd on our ilevel chart, yet is bottom 2 of dps. He doesnt research fights, and just doesnt plain understand mechanics (stands on rag's smash and thinks he was in front of it, cant kill his add either...) He delays way to long on TW, and often hits Iceblock instead. I know what your thinking, but he's an older gentleman

And here's the real kicker...he won the roll for the legendary!!

How do i go about complaining to the GM about his shortcomings, without coming across brash or harsh? Do ask the GM to speak to him, warn him, watch him? He doesnt own up to his short comings when confronted on vent. (When asked who's add got to the hammer and wiped us, silence...everyone then says "mine was dead in like 5 seconds" except him) Do I whisper him and tell him to step up? Like I said earlier, i dont wanna be "that guy" that compains about others. But at what point is enough enough?

Deleted
    looks like someone is mad that he wont get the legendary

Warriors cant use it...otherwise yes. I just hate to see it go to waste

Deleted
    well if that mage is that terrible you got a bad raidleader/guildlleader cuz he doesnt notice it

Most of the time, he just re-assigns jobs to other people. Not very confrontational.

Are you sure this is coming from a pure, unbiased position? And if the same people are always winning loot, why not go to suicide kings or something simple?

I feel like (whom it relates)........blah blah blah..... because..........

10+ Year Old Account
    We had the exact same issue in our guild a while back, only it was a warlock. He constantly got hit by bad stuff, ignored mechanics, and got super defensive when called out on his shortcomings....

We told the GM to talk to him or half of us in the raid group would refuse to raid (he knew losing 4-5 players would be way harder to deal with than just sitting down the warlock and talking to him). In their little interview, the warlock called everybody bad, and that we should be able to zerg everything (this was pre-nerf) because everything "since wrath" has been faceroll. The GM brought us in, asked everybody what we thought his roll should be considered in the raid group, we said we didn't know what he should be doing, but what he was doing a good job at was being the floor tank....he got mad and gquit.

Next week we found a warlock in trade, and we never looked back.

tl;dr - Don't ever be afraid to talk to a gm about a player, more often than not, the issue will be handled. Just do it respectfully. Don't go in say "oh this kids a scrubby mcnoob....fuck him!!!"....say that you've noticed his sub-par play and would like it looked into and dealt with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Be honest.

You might be surprised that your GM agrees with you. But when you're in the core group of a guild, it's your job to help make things go smoothly. You are in the core raid group because you are better than anyone else your guild was able to drag out of trade or anyone else in the litter of applications on their site. It makes you a member of a dedicated team that wants to accomplish a goal.

If your guild's goal is to have fun and be bad, but still have fun, you might earn the distaste of your fellow teammates. If your guild's goal is to do the best that they can, your teammates will probably appreciate the feedback.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes you just have to be harsh if you want a solution, this is one of those times.
    While being nice is generally a good thing there is such a thing as excess.

I like Dubbz and Gandrake's responses, but I'll add this. You said that he's usually 2nd bottom of dps, back up this opinion with evidence. Perhaps collate some logs of the raid's dps over the last couple of weeks or so to show that he's underperforming.

It may also be the case that your guild leader knows exactly what is going on but is afraid to bring it up.

Deleted
    if your loging WoL show your gm your past 50 kils and also show him that for 49 of those said warlock even with legendary was last on dps (ignoring tanks)
    i am sure he will come around when you have proof, wol is great for geting proof like this especialy when he isn't dojng a "job" on fight and sh should be able to max dps

Make a case to the GM or RL, and leave it at that. Every group has a worst player by definition, but you really don't want to get to the point that you spend every fight looking for his slip ups. That's the opposite of fun.

If he's really slowing you guys down, World of Logs is a good place to look for improvements that need to be made. If he just isn't a great player but you guys are doing okay, and the GM wants to keep him, there's not much you can do but accept it as an extra fight mechanic. :-)