Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Fluffy Kitten Bloodhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,277

    Challenging fights

    What kind of fights would you like to see in Guild Wars 2? I mean Elite Events in this case.

    The Elite Events we've seen so far are the 2 Dragons; Tequatl & The Shatterer and a Ghost Ship event.

    But will all the Elite Events be dragonlike? I'm sure they won't. Therefor I want to read what kind of idea's people would like to see as an event. Please state in what part of the world you would like to see this happening, so people could get a visual idea of the event. Just for this I'd came up with some idea's, let me share one.


    A terrorizing Frost Elemental is terrorizing the caves of the Far Shiverpeaks, when the event starts he will move in a circle around the players. He will use various spells frequently.

    Cave Shatter - You'll see various area on the floor lighting up, these are the places that parts of the cave will come down, big rocks will be at the position and will stay there.

    Stalagmite - Various area's around the place will be stroke by Stalagmites, if someone is being hit by the stalagmites, they will be spiked by them and enter a downed state, when in the downed state, people will need to resurrect the player in order to get them back into combat.

    Stomp - Stomp hits in a melee-area, when hit you are stunned, chilled and suffer from Weakness, and suffer great damage.

    Spawn Frost Elementals - When they hit a player, the player will be chilled and thus move slower and unable to dodge.



    This fight is designed for 20-30 people, but this can ofc. differ.

    If someone fails to be resurrected they will be send to the nearest Asura Portal and may resume the fight from there. This is just a try-out. World Fights should be big, hard and take a while before making it. This way the game will stay competitive.

    Tomoko Eternal Life, Kilik Eternal Sun, Eira Frozen Hearted, Ashara Emberlight,
    Vuug The Deceiver, Grash Gravebuilder, Asgaut Divine Soul, Lera Dreamstealer

  2. #2
    Will the Frost Elemental also have a top hat and a smoking pipe?

    OT: I don't really think about it. I like surprises.

  3. #3
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,412
    Personally i see little challenge for public events, as if they were the true challenge and the games real challenge that would really piss top players off, think how annoying it would be ye all get together ready for the fight and find its already dead. Thats why id say the true challenge will be in the dungeons. not in public events where anyone could get the kil while you have no choice to wait a certain lenght of time(that could be up on a day or 2) for it to respawn, also in between boss trys other guilds will go for it, or worse you could have the kill and another guild comes in and "helps" killing the boss and ruining all the trys you put into it

  4. #4
    Fluffy Kitten Bloodhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,277
    Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    Personally i see little challenge for public events, as if they were the true challenge and the games real challenge that would really piss top players off, think how annoying it would be ye all get together ready for the fight and find its already dead. Thats why id say the true challenge will be in the dungeons. not in public events where anyone could get the kil while you have no choice to wait a certain lenght of time(that could be up on a day or 2) for it to respawn, also in between boss trys other guilds will go for it, or worse you could have the kill and another guild comes in and "helps" killing the boss and ruining all the trys you put into it
    This doesn't make sense. Find it's already dead? You'll get notified when a big event is coming up, who ever's going to compete will compete. There won't be anything like respawning, Guild Wars 2 is a game that when a boss-like event is over, the event won't show up 5 minutes later, it could take up to hours, days or even weeks before it comes back. What do you mean boss tries? If you fail, you fail. He won't stand there until he gets a group who kill him, if people fail to kill him, he will f*** stuff up. And when he does that, a new event pops up, to try to recover and repair things.

    Tomoko Eternal Life, Kilik Eternal Sun, Eira Frozen Hearted, Ashara Emberlight,
    Vuug The Deceiver, Grash Gravebuilder, Asgaut Divine Soul, Lera Dreamstealer

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    A terrorizing Frost Elemental is terrorizing
    Heh.
    Anyways, never really thought about it.
    They have already shown they can make interesting boss events though, I'm sure the fights will be plenty fun. Hopefully unique.

    Also, I REALLY like fighting dragons. Just in general. Who doesn't? I'd actually be fine with all of the MAIN bosses in the launch being dragons.. I mean, Zhaitan (sp?) is the major antagonist, who IS an elder dragon. The only one we are supposed to encounter in the game at all at launch, but I mean I'm fine with like, the end boss in every dungeon/elite event being a dragon. I'd RATHER they weren't, but I could live with it. As long as they were all unique fights.
    Last edited by Delias; 2011-11-08 at 03:26 PM.

  6. #6
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,055
    Rogue Druids, more Ice Wurms...

    I also want to fight some more Gods... cause that's fun. Maybe Menzies...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  7. #7
    I'd like to see a boss that moves the fight's location as it goes on. For example, one of those giant Norn worms could burrow underground and you have to follow it through a tunnel system that it creates.

  8. #8
    Fluffy Kitten Bloodhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrowmore View Post
    I'd like to see a boss that moves the fight's location as it goes on. For example, one of those giant Norn worms could burrow underground and you have to follow it through a tunnel system that it creates.
    Ooh! Pretty cool.

    Tomoko Eternal Life, Kilik Eternal Sun, Eira Frozen Hearted, Ashara Emberlight,
    Vuug The Deceiver, Grash Gravebuilder, Asgaut Divine Soul, Lera Dreamstealer

  9. #9
    Scarab Lord Arkenaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,370
    An event where Rytlock uses his destroyer destroying gloves of destruction. Actually, I forgot what happened to those gloves, so this might not even be possible. So just more events with Rytlock then.

  10. #10
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,412
    What i meant is that if your on about the true challenging fights in guild war 2, there will be alot of guilds who want to do it, not just the ones online at the time, i was just using an example of why i do not think the truely hard fights will take place publicly.

    If the games hardest fights took place in a place where everyone could just go ie non-instanced, that would get so annoying, one depending on the bosses mechanics one randomer could kill everyone!. I think there will be hard public events and there will be areas that are destroyed and fucked up for months until people final push certain events back(due to gear etc) but if your asking where the true challenge will be i have no doubt it will take place in dungeons,

    If thats not the case i can see little in the end game pve for me tbh, because at the end of the day i want to go some where with my group and fight a boss by are selves until we are good enough to kill it. That been said i do hope theres some crazy ass public events as does everyone else looking forward to this game

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    one depending on the bosses mechanics one randomer could kill everyone!
    Unless the boss mechanic boils down to mindcontrolling that one randomer that didn't stay out of the black-void-magic beam or whatever and buffs their damage by 1000%, this will never happen.

    And even then it's a stretch.

    You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

    Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

  12. #12
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    One person cannot ruin an event. As part of the development process, after every event is designed, the devs try to figure out how they can grief an event. If it can be griefed, they either modify the event, or remove it from the game.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    What i meant is that if your on about the true challenging fights in guild war 2, there will be alot of guilds who want to do it, not just the ones online at the time, i was just using an example of why i do not think the truely hard fights will take place publicly.

    If the games hardest fights took place in a place where everyone could just go ie non-instanced, that would get so annoying, one depending on the bosses mechanics one randomer could kill everyone!. I think there will be hard public events and there will be areas that are destroyed and fucked up for months until people final push certain events back(due to gear etc) but if your asking where the true challenge will be i have no doubt it will take place in dungeons,

    If thats not the case i can see little in the end game pve for me tbh, because at the end of the day i want to go some where with my group and fight a boss by are selves until we are good enough to kill it. That been said i do hope theres some crazy ass public events as does everyone else looking forward to this game
    I agree with you totally. The DEs may in fact be fun as beer & pretzels content at the easiest end and some really fun chaos at the higher end. But I do not expect DEs to be the sort of environment that will/can cultivate or support hardcore PVE guilds and players as serious content.

    With open world it is very difficult (impossible maybe) to create group responsibility mechanics and still have them be fun. Randoms and bad players can't be kept out of the encounter space so the encounter can't rely on Sally Standsinfire being reactive to a complex mechanic ala Sicaron, Drusella or Yogg.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    With open world it is very difficult (impossible maybe) to create group responsibility mechanics and still have them be fun. Randoms and bad players can't be kept out of the encounter space so the encounter can't rely on Sally Standsinfire being reactive to a complex mechanic ala Sicaron, Drusella or Yogg.
    well actually it can :
    bad players will inevitably die more than the better ones. at that point, the others may help them, but the more often they die, the longer/more people it takes to rez them unless they kill some ennemy minion to "revive" themselves.

    if there's only one big bad boss, the latter won't happen, so that only leaves other people to help. that may just be me, but if i'm doing some hard-like-hell-ish elite DE and someone keep dying next to me, i will just stop helping him if that puts me in a difficult position (ie in an aoe or with boss/minions hiting me).
    thus, they'll probably just end up unconscious and forced to rez at a distant waypoint.

    and even if they make it back to the DE when the big-bad-boss dies, their contribution might be so little they'll probably just end up with at most bronze level reward which i expect will have much less prestige than those who'll have been awarded gold level. (gimme some shiny armor or token to buy it)
    Last edited by sacrypheyes; 2011-11-08 at 10:27 PM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    well actually it can :
    bad players will inevitably die more than the better ones. at that point, the others may help them, but the more often they die, the longer/more people it takes to rez them unless they kill some ennemy minion to "revive" themselves.

    if there's only one big bad boss, the latter won't happen, so that only leaves other people to help. that may just be me, but if i'm doing some hard-like-hell-ish elite DE and someone keep dying next to me, i will just stop helping him if that puts me in a difficult position (ie in an aoe or with boss/minions hiting me).
    thus, they'll probably just end up unconscious and forced to rez at a distant waypoint.

    and even if they make it back to the DE when the big-bad-boss dies, their contribution might be so little they'll probably just end up with at most bronze level reward which i expect will have much less prestige than those who'll have been awarded gold level. (gimme some shiny armor or token to buy it)
    That's not really a responsibility mechanic though.

    If Sally dies and the penalty is hers alone- I don't care.

    If Sally dies and the penalty is shared by all participants- I care.

    Pretty unlikely the second of those will be allowed to happen to any serious degree- Anet said it kinda can't happen as well. And if it does happen it would be totally not fun/game breaking.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That's not really a responsibility mechanic though.

    If Sally dies and the penalty is hers alone- I don't care.

    If Sally dies and the penalty is shared by all participants- I care.

    Pretty unlikely the second of those will be allowed to happen to any serious degree- Anet said it kinda can't happen as well. And if it does happen it would be totally not fun/game breaking.
    Having "If one person dies you ALL die" machines is not fun. If someone is bad then there mistakes are their own and they will know. Having sally die and making everyone die is just a band ad fix to make a fight hard. If sally dies a lot then people will know when they revive her since the revive time is increased each time someone dies. longer revives = more time away from killing the boss.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That's not really a responsibility mechanic though.
    how being responsible for (at least) your own life isn't a responsibility mechanic?

    given a DE with a huge crowd of players, every single one of them has to do what he can to stay alive unless he wants to come back from a waypoint nearby every 2mn.
    and while staying alive is one thing, kicking the DE (boss) ass at the same time is another one and that too may require more than just facerolling.

  18. #18
    The Lightbringer Durzlla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That's not really a responsibility mechanic though.

    If Sally dies and the penalty is hers alone- I don't care.

    If Sally dies and the penalty is shared by all participants- I care.

    Pretty unlikely the second of those will be allowed to happen to any serious degree- Anet said it kinda can't happen as well. And if it does happen it would be totally not fun/game breaking.
    It kinda is, because her being there and trying to help kill the boss (even though she's getting steam rolled due to sucking) the boss will be scaled up as if she were a good player, making the rest of the fight harder... It'd be like taking 24 people to fight a 25 man boss
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    how being responsible for (at least) your own life isn't a responsibility mechanic?
    I was talking about mechanics such as in the Sicaron or Drusella fights. You are directly responsible for the success or failure of the entire group. That won't ever happen in DEs.

    Oh hey, Sally Standsinfire has a 2 min run back but I can go about the business of the DE unperturbed to win this? Then who cares. Meh.

    But hold on, Sally is negatively effecting the encounter through poor play such that I can't go about the business of the DE to win this?

    Oh. Hell. No.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I was talking about mechanics such as in the Sicaron or Drusella fights. You are directly responsible for the success or failure of the entire group. That won't ever happen in DEs.

    Oh hey, Sally Standsinfire has a 2 min run back but I can go about the business of the DE unperturbed to win this? Then who cares. Meh.

    But hold on, Sally is negatively effecting the encounter through poor play such that I can't go about the business of the DE to win this?

    Oh. Hell. No.
    If anything thing mechanics like what you want discourage new plays and promote a "make one fuckin mistake and we will make sure you will never play on this sever again" type attitude. And for a game that wants to have the community (on a sever at least) stand as one and work together like one big guild. Those types of fights seem very counterproductive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •