Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
    The other issue here is that people have more or less caught on to Blizzard's way of hyping even the most dull shit like FL dailies. They sold us Cata that way and this time around for MoP I have a feeling that it won't be as well recieved as Cata was initially in terms of sales.

Nice hole they dug themselves into.
    And you expect Blizzard to say, "We've got these dailies we created for Firelands but they're really just junk and people are going to hate them"??

15+ Year Old Account
    remember something folks. its 10.3 million ACTIVE SUBSCRIPTIONS. there are people who have multiple accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    And you expect Blizzard to say, "We've got these dailies we created for Firelands but they're really just junk and people are going to hate them"??
    There was a day where the above wouldn't have been asked. There was a day when Blizzard said they were going to something that people will love, durring that time they usually followed through on that promise.

---------- Post added 2011-11-09 at 06:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Syce View Post
    remember something folks. its 10.3 million ACTIVE SUBSCRIPTIONS. there are people who have multiple accounts.
    And gold farmers too... they haven't gotten rid of those yet either. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Pwnasaurus Rex View Post

Yes, this may very well be the beginning of the end - but that end still wont actually happen for quite some time...
    Depends, you may consider me a doomspeaker but i believe that WoW has a tipping point. More and more people are finding their guild/friendlist empty when they log on. Once a certain percentage of people leaves i think a snowball effect will occur that cannot be stopped unless Blizzard does something drastical.

I'm not too sure I really understand what all the commotion is about. 10.3 million sounds like a lot of people (or accounts I suppose). That should more than enough for them to keep making new content shouldn't it?

Or am I just looking at this the wrong way? :S

There's a way to do that without letting the population get to that: Fire Ghostcrawler

Blizzard needs to hire a dev that is not going to skew balance towards the class he/she is playing currently.

And that doesn't mock its playerbase. Or one that doesn't try to induce its playerbase into thinking one solution is better than another to a problem, by presenting two options, one in a ridiculous way and another in a serious one.

Ghostcrawler's communication to the playerbase is the worst i have seen in my life from someone in an important place.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahfireworks View Post
    I'm not too sure I really understand what all the commotion is about. 10.3 million sounds like a lot of people (or accounts I suppose). That should more than enough for them to keep making new content shouldn't it?

Or am I just looking at this the wrong way? :S
    There was once a lady by the name of Mary Antoinette who thought the same thing.

A few years later... well, history speaks for itself. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    There was once a lady by the name of Mary Antoinette who thought the same thing.

A few years later... well, history speaks for itself. ^_^
    Well she should have baked a better cake.

I don't know, as far as WoW though, I'm perfectly happy playing a game that's a little over-the-hill I guess. For whatever reason it doesn't bother me yet. Maybe it will at some point. :S

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kojane View Post
    It's just going to show

"Blizzard doesn't need a WoW killer, they'll just do it by themselves"

not my words.
    Nah... the real WoW killer is / will be time. It's ridiculous to blame Blizzard after they've created a game that absolutely D-E-M-O-L-I-S-H-E-D the competition for 7 years in a row (and still going).

Everything ages, including video games. And if they don't age in reality, people's perception might still be that they aged, which is just as bad.
    titanFocus.info -- news, predictions and place for discussion about Blizzard's upcoming next-gen MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahfireworks View Post
    Well she should have baked a better cake.

I don't know, as far as WoW though, I'm perfectly happy playing a game that's a little over-the-hill I guess. For whatever reason it doesn't bother me yet. Maybe it will at some point. :S
    Have to admit I laughed at that. ^_^

Yeah, for me as I said in other threads prior - I really loved WoW from Vanilla to Wrath (Wrath being my FAVORITE!) but when Cata came out, they just went total 180 on so many great things I enjoyed in Wrath. As I've also said prior - Wrath actually CLARIFIED for me that there is a core difference between "Time consuming Challenge" and "Fun".

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a way to do that without letting the population get to that: Fire Ghostcrawler

Blizzard needs to hire a dev that is not going to skew balance towards the class he/she is playing currently.
    Are you mad? GC is my Hero! He is Blizzard's Honey Badger!

WoW has grown so large that developers can just sit in cruise control.

Lets put something in perspective for a second. I'm not trying to antagonize Blizzard but look at what another MMO developer has been able to do in 8 months:

-2 full blown 20 man top end raids, 1 of which being as big as ICC
    -3 10 man raids
    -Doubling the amount of top end crafting recipes for casual gamers
    -Adding transmorgification 4 months before WoW
    -4 world events
    -A huge new pve zone twice the size of Arathi Highlands
    -Challenge modes to 5 mans
    -Single player or Coop story instances
    -Massive amount of fixes to world public questing
    -Rep grind for world pvp
    -Added a whole new item slot for character customization in terms of set bonuses
    -Alternative advancement
    -I'm sure there is more, but I just listed what is right off the top of my head

WoW in the same time span you got:

-Firelands
    -transmogrification

Now you tell me, what developer do you think is working harder for the playerbase?
    Last edited by leafs43; 2011-11-10 at 12:39 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    First of all, Trion had a lot of this content made before the game even launched, so it's rather easy to keep what is indeed a high pace of updates in the first year. If they care about their playerbase so much, makes you wonder why they didn't include at least some of what they had with the original launch.

Secondly, oversimplifying one part of your statement, just to make the other one look better is a lame way of making an argument. Not gonna bother telling you what you probably already know, but if you check the 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 patch notes, you'll find a lot more than those two updates.

P.S. Did Trion ever add the open-world RvR zone (related to Scion I believe) that they hyped into oblivion before launch? It was the one feature that lured me in to try RIFT... boy was I a fool for believing them.
    titanFocus.info -- news, predictions and place for discussion about Blizzard's upcoming next-gen MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mynsc View Post
    <snip>P.S. Did Trion ever add the open-world RvR zone (related to Scion I believe) that they hyped into oblivion before launch? It was the one feature that lured me in to try RIFT... boy was I a fool for believing them.
    Blizzard lured me in by telling me they plan to include Player Housing for a future patch/expansion. Boy was I a fool for believing them too! :P

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Blizzard lured me in by telling me they plan to include Player Housing for a future patch/expansion. Boy was I a fool for believing them too! :P
    How would player housing be that exciting? x.x

Quote Originally Posted by leafs43 View Post
    WoW has grown so large that developers can just sit in cruise control.
    Lets put something in perspective for a second. I'm not trying to antagonize Blizzard but look at what another MMO developer has been able to do in 8 months:

-2 full blown 20 man top end raids, 1 of which being as big as ICC
    -3 10 man raids
    -Doubling the amount of top end crafting recipes for casual gamers
    -Adding transmorgification 4 months before WoW
    -4 world events
    -A huge new pve zone twice the size of Arathi Highlands
    -Challenge modes to 5 mans
    -Single player or Coop story instances
    -Massive amount of fixes to world public questing
    -Rep grind for world pvp
    -Added a whole new item slot for character customization in terms of set bonuses
    -Alternative advancement
    -I'm sure there is more, but I just listed what is right off the top of my head
    WoW in the same time span you got:
    -Firelands
    -transmogrification
    Now you tell me, what developer do you think is working harder for the playerbase?
    Right. I got banned each RIFT patch... for saying how pissed I was at blizz..

Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    They are. Even if they go down to 1 million subs, that is still 15 million dollars a month. Pretty good for a MMO.
    Actually Blizzard reported net losses. Just saying. They are pouring a great many resources into Titan, Diablo 3 and Heart of the Swarm which aren't making any money in development. Also do not forget the gargantuan cost of bandwidth to support 10 million players. That bandwidth isn't free or even close to it.

Summation: It is all irrelevant for the most part. Blizzard, financially, is in great shape, I'd wager.

I tried to read most the posts, made it through about the first 3 pages and got a raging headache. I was just curious if any of the people predicting the fall of WoW or Blizzard have actually taken the time to read the news over the past 6 months. It's not a wonder (to the informed) that the subscription rate in the middle east has fallen so drastically recently, given the horrific earthquake that rocked Japan, followed by the terrible flooding still being cleaned up in Thailand.

Before you all jump to conclusions about the end of WoW as we know it, or Blizzard, Inc. going belly up, maybe you could log out of the game, and check up on the Current Events of the World.

Peace,
    Kir

Quote Originally Posted by Kireon View Post
    I tried to read most the posts, made it through about the first 3 pages and got a raging headache. I was just curious if any of the people predicting the fall of WoW or Blizzard have actually taken the time to read the news over the past 6 months. It's not a wonder (to the informed) that the subscription rate in the middle east has fallen so drastically recently, given the horrific earthquake that rocked Japan, followed by the terrible flooding still being cleaned up in Thailand.

Before you all jump to conclusions about the end of WoW as we know it, or Blizzard, Inc. going belly up, maybe you could log out of the game, and check up on the Current Events of the World.

Peace,
    Kir
    Seriously? First people were blaming players being suddenly afflicted with "boredom" since Cata's launch... then others are claming that it's a down economy that's been afflicting subscriptions (dispite WoW's original numbers in Vanilla/BC SOARING due to resession and players wanting escapism!)

...and now since those two were debunked... you're trying to play the Natural Disaster card?

Seriously!?

Tbh considering they said there were mostly Chinese people cancelling subs I would imagine its a response to the announcement of Pandas. Pandas are the national icon of China, and yet in wow they often wear Japanese armor, which would be considered as highly offensive as a video of a man in a turban shitting on the american flag.