Thread: Arena

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Arena

Pretty much I wanna know if there's an arena system put in place (ladders, rewards based on rank etc) much like WoW's. Also I wanna know if the combat 'fluidity' is like WoW's. I'm pretty sure these questions do not break the NDA.

Cheers guys.
    this game sucks

Short answer: No.

Long answer: There will be no ranked PvP at launch.

Quote Originally Posted by GarGar View Post
    Short answer: No.

Long answer: There will be no ranked PvP at launch.
    Cheers for the quick response. Can't say I'm not disappointed by that, but still.
    this game sucks

Ew really???? I was actually getting excited for SWTOR, but now that they're going to pull a blizzard and give PvE 90% of the attention, im having second thoughts... i already quit WoW since its PvP sucks... maybe GW2 will have some serious PvP... who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by happydog1337 View Post
    Ew really???? I was actually getting excited for SWTOR, but now that they're going to pull a blizzard and give PvE 90% of the attention, im having second thoughts... i already quit WoW since its PvP sucks... maybe GW2 will have some serious PvP... who knows.
    Speaking mostly about endgame here, they're not giving PvE more attention than PvP. Just like they're not giving PvP more attention than PvE. They are a brand new MMO, and are giving the most attention in SWTOR 1.0 to the leveling experience.

They do have some endgame. But it should in no way be considered the end of their endgame. Future patches will bring more. Much more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wherever there are gnomes that havent been eaten yet.
    who needs Arenas when you have Huttball?!
    *Switches to John Madden voice*
    C'MON...HUTTBALL!
    <Insert something witty and humorous here>

10+ Year Old Account
    There will be ranked systems. We don't know when though.

And I'm putting out the warning for the thread right now:

Don't attack and slam eachother for wanting or not wanting things in the game. Opinions can differ, but all discussion needs to be constructive.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Pretty much what I want is a ranking/ladder system whether it be open world or small group play with rewards based on how well you do. MMO gaming for me is being better than everyone else and getting gear which reflects that; but that's probably just my incredibly competitive side speaking :P
    this game sucks

There is still too much wrong in SWTOR's PvP gameplay to even consider arena atm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by happydog1337 View Post
    Shocking isnt' it? especially in a story driven MMO.

But they aren't forgetting about PvP, you won't have a ranked system at launch but it will be in "soon" after it.

Arenas were one of the worst things to happen to WoW.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RevanSparda View Post
    Arenas were one of the worst things to happen to WoW.
    This, a fucking 1000 times this. Arenas can die in a fire. Balancing around twitch based 2v2/3v3 games is a freaking nightmare, and also it doesn't make any sense in lore, whereas battlegrounds and open world pvp at least make sense.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    This, a fucking 1000 times this. Arenas can die in a fire. Balancing around twitch based 2v2/3v3 games is a freaking nightmare, and also it doesn't make any sense in lore, whereas battlegrounds and open world pvp at least make sense.
    So because you don't enjoy it, they should remove arenas from the MMO genre completely? MMO's have very unique combat and arena's are the only way to show skill and get rewarded accordingly.

Also if a mage is OP in arena, they'd be OP in BG's and open world pvp? Or just because it's in a BG they're automatically balanced. Enough with this 'balance' crap. If the game was balanced it would be boring.
    Last edited by rektbrah; 2011-11-09 at 10:28 AM.
    this game sucks

Deleted
    I prefer PvE so doesn't bother me! Sure they'll add it at some point though, they need some stuff to bring out over time as well if everything appears at launch it'll leave nothing for people to want or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rektlol View Post
    MMO's have very unique combat and arena's are the only way to show skill and get rewarded accordingly.
    Luckily it was at this point that I stopped taking what you have to say seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by GallowsZA View Post
    Luckily it was at this point that I stopped taking what you have to say seriously.
    Elaborate. MMO combat is unique. Arenas being the only way to showcase PvP skill is a valid point. A BG does not showcase skill, it shows you have a team that can clusterfuck one person. Could you be worse?
    this game sucks

10+ Year Old Account
    Whats skillful in taking a person from 100% to 0 in a stun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rektlol View Post
    Elaborate. MMO combat is unique. Arenas being the only way to showcase PvP skill is a valid point. A BG does not showcase skill, it shows you have a team that can clusterfuck one person. Could you be worse?
    I'm afraid its not a valid point, as players don't pick players based on skill. Skill is a secondary consideration, with your group setup being first.

I think you might need to retake mathematics (even if its just the basics), so that you might be better able to tally up your teammates. If you are the one person being clusterfucked, you are likely :

a) A healer
    b) Not focusing on moving with your team
    c) The only person on your side

And yes, I could be worse I could be a lot worse. Fortunately, I'm not.

Rated Warzones is confirmed at launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Principal Lead PvP Designer Gabe Amatangelo
    One of the top things on our list for post launch is a rated Warzone system where players can form teams, earn team ratings, earn individual ratings, as well as participate in tournaments, etc.

Well this is what the lead pvp guy said :
    Quote Originally Posted by Principal Lead PvP Designer Gabe Amatangelo
    One of the top things on our list for post launch is a rated Warzone system where players can form teams, earn team ratings, earn individual ratings, as well as participate in tournaments, etc.