Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    I Dont think gear will just be given to you as easily as you think, the game is coming out with alot of dungeons there difficulty will determine the time it takes to max out in gear, if like me you are hoping them to have a brutally hard difficulty level, then reaching a max gear level would be far from easy, but as i say to ever question fearing what could go wrong for this game, wait till beta
    "max" level gear won't be hard to get, armor skins though will probably be another story. for example, dungeon tokens can only be gained in dungeon exploration mode, which they've told will be significantly harder than the story mode.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PivotDream View Post
    I was excited about this game for a while now, but never really got around to doing any serious research. I had some time on my hands tonight and looked around. There is 1 issue I have with the game, or perhaps just simply didn't get the idea.

From what I understand upon reaching level 80 all players will achieve a maximum (Skill>Gear) level of gear relatively quickly. This can be both a good thing and a bad thing in my opinion. What exactly will keep me playing? The whole point of MMO's to me is character progression.
    If by the time I hit 80, and play for a week or two I will be at the peak of gear/power what more is there to achieve? Sure, you can improve your actual skill, but in reality if you are an experienced MMO player you will get the basics down while your leveling, and it will take you a week at most to get used to all the combat innovations GW2 brings. After that the skill growth in my experience is VERY slow. Example WoW Arena - It will take an average player from 2 weeks to a month to reach a rating of 2200, but to reach (reliably) a rating of 2800 can take years. May not be the best example, but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Let's use WoW as an example again, by playing the game to improve your actual character (get equipment etc.) you also inevitably get more experienced at the game. I just don't understand what reason I have to do dungeon X over dungeon Y? Or do any dungeon at all after I have already seen it? I guess there will be "cosmetic" drops but is that it? So far GW2 hasn't dissapointed so I'm sure I've missed something here. What was it?

PS: Sorry if I rambled, English is far from being my first language and i'm very tired ^^
    Character progression is exactly that, "cosmetic" drops with increased stats and appearance. Doing dungeon x and y over and over again, is what is needed to progress character wise in this game. And if its not the gear you are talking about then youre welcome to dig into the 14k+ achivement points aswell.

You dont want to do what is needed to actually character progress in this game, fine so be it. But then dont call the game bad or not fun to play just because you are not willing to put in the effort to be character progressed in this game.

Furthermore it wont take years to reach 2800 rating since well first, seasons dont last long at all. 2nd 2800 rating requires skills to some degree. If you dont have it, you will never reach 2800 rating, unless you practice. Alot.

Again its your lazyness that i deem the problem here, not the game. You are simply not willing to put in the effort need. Again thats fine, but perhaps other games are more suitable then, like rift or tetris.

Honestly I think anyone here doesn't know more than 10% about the game, because nothing more is announced. There's so much to do we don't even know about.

WoW is gear related, and e-peen oriented. You progress your character via gear and items, not via playing and enjoying it. I've grown so weary of having to grind the same gear the same way for every single one of my chars in WoW that I only see positive things with GW2. And if you or anyone else do NOT like what GW2 brings, then stick to WoW...

GW2 is the new MMORPG generation, and it will not force you to progress your char through endless grinding for gear that's outdated in 1 tier.

And what thrills me is that GW2 will cater to us that want to see content, and don't join raids/events/dungeons only to get phat lewtz. In GW2, the gameplay and content itself, is the reward...sure, you get rewarded with items, but it's not like in WoW where people hate the dungeons but run them anyway just to get gear and move on.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2011-11-09 at 11:11 AM.

What do you do in WoW when you have the best gear and the next expansion/patch isn't due for a while? I know that I had other things to do. GW2 is going to be the same way. If you get bored of the PvE because you feel like there is no progression to be had there, then there are plenty of other things for you to do. And with all of the content updates that they've been promising, I'm fairly confident that you won't run out.

Also, if a game has to have a carrot-on-a-stick gametype in order for you to have fun, you may want to double check to see if that game is actually fun. You might be fooling yourself. I was with WoW.
    Last edited by Wynnyelle; 2011-11-09 at 02:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I didn't misunderstand then, there really is no character progression beyond skill. Oh well, I will still enjoy the game.
    As stated before, there is horizontal progression as opposed to vertical.

Gear doesn't get better statwise, but you can go out and get cooler looking gear (gear that you think is cooler), there are also trophies and titles to earn for your home instance.

And most importantly, fun is a factor in this game. I'm not a horse I don't want a god damn carrot on a stick leading me around.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Weedow View Post
    Character progression is exactly that, "cosmetic" drops with increased stats and appearance. Doing dungeon x and y over and over again, is what is needed to progress character wise in this game. And if its not the gear you are talking about then youre welcome to dig into the 14k+ achivement points aswell.

You dont want to do what is needed to actually character progress in this game, fine so be it. But then dont call the game bad or not fun to play just because you are not willing to put in the effort to be character progressed in this game.

Furthermore it wont take years to reach 2800 rating since well first, seasons dont last long at all. 2nd 2800 rating requires skills to some degree. If you dont have it, you will never reach 2800 rating, unless you practice. Alot.

Again its your lazyness that i deem the problem here, not the game. You are simply not willing to put in the effort need. Again thats fine, but perhaps other games are more suitable then, like rift or tetris.
    1. That's just it, I am willing to put the extra effort in, thats exactly why I asked the question.

2. Please try reading again. Yes It can take years to reach 2800. It can be over several seasons. And yes I do mean reaching a skill level to be able to play at 2800,not grinding teams. I clearly explained that didn't I?
    It's just fact that the better you are at something the slower you will improve. Eg. Cardio, if you run every day for a month, and you haven't done any stamina training before you will notice a GIGANTIC difference. However if you have been doing stamina training for 5 years, and you run every day for a month you will barely notice any difference. It's just how we humans work buddy.

GW2 doesn't have this problem though, you will still be getting something out of dungeons.

Deleted
    I still play GW1 alot !! and beleive me i am maxed to the teeth !! Full Obsidian armor 50/50 on HoM.. basically all desired titles.. and i dont even consider myself full powered i still want to play new builds i havent even tried yet.. sounds funny but its true ! I am tired of playing wow basically using the exact same skill to top dps.. changes something changed my macro and if i have the gear i can keep toping recount thats all i can do.. i am bored playing wow and getting gear to throw it away 2 weeks later..

isnt there a lot of special armor skin and stuff obtainable by both pve and pvp progression? you can always show off with these

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anaralah View Post
    isnt there a lot of special armor skin and stuff obtainable by both pve and pvp progression? you can always show off with these
    Yep.
    People are just QQ'ing because they're isn't an increase in stats to make them more powerful, thus feel superior to other players.

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    As stated before, there is horizontal progression as opposed to vertical.

Gear doesn't get better statwise, but you can go out and get cooler looking gear (gear that you think is cooler), there are also trophies and titles to earn for your home instance.

And most importantly, fun is a factor in this game. I'm not a horse I don't want a god damn carrot on a stick leading me around.
    I just want to point out that "horizontal progression" CAN still be real progression, beyond cosmetic/trophy stuff.

Take a newly-dinged Ranger from GW1 and compare him to a veteran Ranger. Their basic shots will do the exact same damage. The difference (speaking strictly about the characters, not the players) is that the veteran will have collected many more skills, heros, gear addons... giving him more options, and the potential for more powerful combinations.

The carrot has a valid role to play, it draws the player's attention and tells him/her where to go. Good developers create super-fun content and use carrots as a tool to guide players to it. (Bad developers create super-shiny carrots and use repetitive content as a tool to keep players from reaching them too fast.)

10+ Year Old Account
    How many of these threads do we have to have before people "get it"?
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

Quote Originally Posted by Lorella View Post
    Well when you get to 80 you could always level to 85 ... just a thought.

In most MMO's you have to run X instance several times after you've been here to upgrade your char, WoW isn't any different to that. If your not willing to put some degree of effort in then MMO's aren't for you.
    Guild Wars 2 level cap is 80. Please check to see what forum you're in next time before you post ^^.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Due to DE's all over the world that will scale with your level, and the descent sized race/profession combos in this game, I for one look forward to going through every zone and story line.

Since you will scale with the environment, there will always be a challenge for the player. No going in and "faserolling" the DE's just to ram through it. Plus, as we've seen from many demos, all the races have pretty cool animations for casting, running, walking, swinging a sword etc. And it will be cool to bomb around exploring the game with all these races while still having fun and a challenge in front of us.

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    Due to DE's all over the world that will scale with your level, [...]
    The events don't scale with your level. They scale in difficulty by polling for participation. Your level scales to the level range of the zone you're in.
    Last edited by Plagous; 2011-11-11 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Klazmaunt View Post
    Until the game releases... regularly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klazmaunt View Post
    Off-topic: About the same as MoP for WoW. People are in their stage of Denial until it actually releases.

But while they cry, whine, and essentially bitch themselves into a hole, I'll be playing a Pandaren Monk and tanking many many instances. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I seriously think this thread should be called no gear progression beyond level 80, not the current because even if you're level 80 you can still progress your character.You leveled to cap without doing your personal story, now you can go back and do it, see character progression so your thread is very misleading.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

It's enough for the first 2 months. But without any immediate goals (carrot on a stick) I don't think it will last very long.

---------- Post added 2011-11-09 at 08:19 AM ----------

I guess I didn't misunderstand then, there really is no character progression beyond skill. Oh well, I will still enjoy the game.
    There isn't suppose to be a main goal. The goal of end game is to have fun by doing whatever you want. You can go to a low lvl zone and be downranked for a world event. You can do dungeons which they have, you can pvp, there is tons more to do unlike wow. Do what you want your level is irrelevant
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

I hope ArenaNet has something in GW2 similar to the Hall of Monuments in Guild Wars 1, a place where you can put your trophies, titles, achievements etc. If anything it gives you a concrete, over-arching goal in the game and gives you a sense of character progression as you see your Hall progressively growing and being filled with artifacts, rares and challenging titles.
    I.M.F - Imposing Misery Forever.

Q: What's the difference between fascism and libertarianism?
    A: Under fascism, you are starved of your freedom. Under libertarianism, you are free to starve.