Buy Graphic card/Monitor now or wait little more?

Hello. I was wondering if it is worth to buy a new graphic card and monitor now or wait a little more for prices to drop or maybe for a new improved technlogy that it is around the corner. My current spec is :

Intel Core i5 2500k
    8Gb DDR3
    160Gb Intel SSD
    Ati HD 4890 Formula edition http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/290...ard/index.html
    LG Flatron W2252TQ 22" http://www.lg.com/us/computer-produc...or-W2252TQ.jsp

The 90% of my gaming time is wow and I can play it on full graphic detail except Shadows and multisampling which I have them a bit lower..then I play some Rift, Aion and some single players. Also I will play Swtor and GW2 which is said that will have a very good graphics level. The problem is that the other games I can't play them on full details and also that my card does not support DirectX 11. I was thinking about the ATI 6950 2gb. Do you think that in the next 2-3 months the price will drop? or with the same money I could buy the 6970? Is any news about a new model (6990 perhaps?) around the corner (so the previous will drop their price) ? As a gamer I want to play games on full details :P but I also want to make wise purchases.

As for the monitor. I have found a buyer for my current monitor. I always thought to upgrade my monitor from 22 to 24 inch but I absolutely have no knowledge for monitors. I ve heard about a new technology called IPS that provide a very improved quality of display. the cons I heard for this is that the monitors still have a considering amount of imput lag and high respond time. At least the ones for the money I have to invest (200-250 euro).

First of all I only want to upgrade my monitor if there is really a considerable improved quality in gaming experience if I chose a monitor priced at 200-250 euro max. If you think that I can see improvements then help me to decide or suggest me a monitor :P If you think I must wait 1-2 months then suggest me to wait but for a reason :P

my concerns on this :

1) will the graphic card will support full graphics detail in a 24" monitor and how often then I will have to change graphics card to support the high resolution of a 24" monitor?
    2) I heard that 24" wide monitors can cause eye problems (astigmatism) because if your eyes try to catch all the screen and the screen is big enough when you sit < 1 meter.
    3) If I go for 24” what resolution is better 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200? And which of this is more “heavy” for the graphic card?
    4) I don’t play FPS games at all, I play only rpg games and some rare times strategy and sport games. So how much the imput lag and response time of 5ms+ on IPS monitors will affect my gaming experience?
    5) Does IPS monitors consume more graphic card power in order to produce the improved display quality? And if so is better to chose an 22” IPS monitor?

Thanks in advance
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    Hello. I was wondering if it is worth to buy a new graphic card and monitor now or wait a little more for prices to drop or maybe for a new improved technlogy that it is around the corner. My current spec is :

Intel Core i5 2500k
    8Gb DDR3
    160Gb Intel SSD
    Ati HD 4890 Formula edition http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/290...ard/index.html
    LG Flatron W2252TQ 22" http://www.lg.com/us/computer-produc...or-W2252TQ.jsp

The 90% of my gaming time is wow and I can play it on full graphic detail except Shadows and multisampling which I have them a bit lower..then I play some Rift, Aion and some single players. Also I will play Swtor and GW2 which is said that will have a very good graphics level. The problem is that the other games I can't play them on full details and also that my card does not support DirectX 11. I was thinking about the ATI 6950 2gb. Do you think that in the next 2-3 months the price will drop? or with the same money I could buy the 6970? Is any news about a new model (6990 perhaps?) around the corner (so the previous will drop their price) ? As a gamer I want to play games on full details :P but I also want to make wise purchases.
    HD 6990 is out fora long time also there is no reason for it to affect pries of other cards as its the class of its own. Dual gpu cards like hd 6990 or gtx 580 are niche products that are rarely worth buying and therefore do not affect market for mainstream cards (its better to run gtx560ti sli rather than single gtx 590)

However AMd is supposed to release hd 7xxx series by the end of the year (but nobody knows w/e they will be on schedule or not) and nvidia is supposed to release 600 series in april next year or so. Both are in ym opinion worth waiting for and will definately affect prices of current gpu's

As for the monitor. I have found a buyer for my current monitor. I always thought to upgrade my monitor from 22 to 24 inch but I absolutely have no knowledge for monitors. I ve heard about a new technology called IPS that provide a very improved quality of display. the cons I heard for this is that the monitors still have a considering amount of imput lag and high respond time. At least the ones for the money I have to invest (200-250 euro).

First of all I only want to upgrade my monitor if there is really a considerable improved quality in gaming experience if I chose a monitor priced at 200-250 euro max. If you think that I can see improvements then help me to decide or suggest me a monitor :P If you think I must wait 1-2 months then suggest me to wait but for a reason :P
    cant really help you with monitors but what i will say is that monitor does not affect game performance.
    LCD monitors have refresh rate of 60hz, what i basically means is that vsync will cap your game at 60 fps as your monitor is basically nto able to display more frames than 60. 3d monitors have refresh rate of 120hz which basically means they will cap out at 120 fps. The thing is, even the biggest veterans of fps games wotn see difference between 40 fps and 60 fps (scientifically proven that FPS gamers in time see more fps than regular human eye, read aobut it like 1 year ago so i cant get source for it)

Only thing that matters for you here is response time of 2 ms to not have any ghosting. Everything else is your personal preference and technologies behind the display itself, however here i cant help you much as im nto really interested in those.

my concerns on this :

1) will the graphic card will support full graphics detail in a 24" monitor and how often then I will have to change graphics card to support the high resolution of a 24" monitor?
    it all depends on resolution not screen size
    2) I heard that 24" wide monitors can cause eye problems (astigmatism) because if your eyes try to catch all the screen and the screen is big enough when you sit < 1 meter.
    dunno about that, im using 26 inch monitor and i dont have astigmatism :P

3) If I go for 24” what resolution is better 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200? And which of this is more “heavy” for the graphic card?
    higher resolution is always more stressful for the gpu. I personally paly on 1920/1200 but there really isnt that much of a difference between this and 1920/1080. Go by technologies and personal preference, not the resolution here. 1920/1200 or 1920/1080, doesnt matter at all, games will look good on both

4) I don’t play FPS games at all, I play only rpg games and some rare times strategy and sport games. So how much the imput lag and response time of 5ms+ on IPS monitors will affect my gaming experience?
    response time determines w/e you will have ghosting problems or not. Just go with 2ms response time monitor and you are fine. However im not monitor guy so better talk to one before chosing monitor :P

5) Does IPS monitors consume more graphic card power in order to produce the improved display quality? And if so is better to chose an 22” IPS monitor?
    i really dont think your gpu would care about type of display you have ;] resolution and details you set in gmae are the only things your gpu cares about and even if it does require more power to fit requirements of your display (which i SERIOUSLY doubt) it would be so miniscule it wouldnt matter at all

thanks a lot m8 :P I ll have to search more about the monitor then :P my current one is 2ms so I suppose is good enough and a new one won't make any difference :P
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.