New Computer - is this low fps?

Hello all, just bought a new computer. It's an i2600k with a 560ti graphics card. I ran a stress test for 10 hours and everything is very stable.

My wow settings are all ultra, except shadows which is set to "good".

I haven't raided on this machine yet, just got it last thursday. But in SW (depending on the camera angle) - I'm dipping into the mid to high 40s fps. Does this sound about right? I figured it would hold a steady 60 (with vsync enabled). To be specific, it's mostly when I do a completely zoomed out view from above right near the AH. I understand that that's a lot of info for it to process and draw - I just want to make sure that 40fps would be typical for my computer specs.

BTW, there are no programs running in the background - just wow. Oh and also, I double checked what my processor loading was at (via coretemp) once I got curious about the fps. The 4 cores are not 100% loaded (they're only in the 30-40% loading range). Why wouldn't they work at a higher % up until the max fps they can achieve?

Deleted
    40 FPS is just fine on a stock clocked 2600k. Nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomerterp View Post
    I haven't raided on this machine yet, just got it last thursday. But in SW (depending on the camera angle) - I'm dipping into the mid to high 40s fps. Does this sound about right?
    Depends on the size of the realm. If yours is high population, then yeah, it sounds realistic. Try it out also in smaller realm to see if the numbers go up. If you still see 40fps in low population realm you might have a problem.

Oh and also, I double checked what my processor loading was at (via coretemp) once I got curious about the fps. The 4 cores are not 100% loaded (they're only in the 30-40% loading range). Why wouldn't they work at a higher % up until the max fps they can achieve?
    Problem with WoW is the latency, not the throughput. Things need to happen at the same time, and the game has to wait for internet latency, sound card latency and graphics card latency to make everything perfectly in sync. That's why nothing gets taxed 100%.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I see. I forgot to mention that I changed the CPU ratio to 40 (for 4ghz - left everything else at automatic, so speedstep and auto offset are still enabled) - but the temps have only been in the mid 60s under full load for 10 hours. Anyway, though I'd mention that it isn't quite stock clocked.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you set everything to ultra but left shadows at good, you need to account for anti-aliasing likely being at a whopping 16x. ;p

That will buckle most systems, now put shadows at ultra and turn AA down because your system can handle ultra shadows, I promise.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

interesting - I suppose 16x AA is not really necessary on a screen resolution of 1600 x 1050 either huh?

Deleted
    AA hurts fps alot have a play with it and set it how you feel happy.

I think It depends on your monitor aswell. What monitor are you using?

Yep and I'm ok with dumbing down the settings a bit to make sure I have max fps too - I was just concerned that something was wrong with my rig since I never expected it to dip below 60 in SW.

---------- Post added 2011-11-09 at 03:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Undutchable View Post
    I think It depends on your monitor aswell. What monitor are you using?
    Hmm, can you believe I've had it for 5 years and I have no idea lol? I'll double check when I get back home this evening. It was a nice lcd screen when I got it, but I'm sure it's pretty old by today's standards. I do know that the max frequency is 60 hz. I think it's an asus monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a 460gtx 1.5Gb and I get around 40 city, 100 world, 80 dungeon, and 60 raid. Just depends how many people are around
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not your computer, its the server. When there is a crowd of people in a small area, IE major cities, then the fps will drop some no matter what. Happens to everybody, even the most powerful computer will do it, its not your side, its server side. Depending on the time of the day I could drop to 40 fps with GTX 570 sli, and i7 930, at rush hour in wow, but if I go to org at lets say 4am, then there will be barely anybody on and it won't effect me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

Deleted
    I had a very good computer when we all was in dalaran but it still dropped to 30-40 fps in dalaran. So its not anything wrong with you fps its just to much happening at the same time.

The software cannot keep up with the hardware. WoW is a game engine designed on hardware from 7 years ago. Modern processors and graphics cards today are so fast that WoW can't keep up. It doesn't matter what rig you have, WoW's performance will cap out at a certain point.

I run a 4 GHz i7 950, GTX 570, 6 GB RAM, and on my server in Orgrimmar I see as low as 45 FPS. its not cause my rig can't handle it, rather the game engine can't handle it, as well as large numbers of players in one area slows the game considerably. In raids, and out in the world if I do /console maxfps 0, I get upwards of 200+ FPS, sometimes spiking 300. I usually do /console maxfps 58 though so that I stay at a consistent 60 without needing vsync.

Great, thanks for the answers guys - I feel a lot better after spending the dough on this new computer haha.

What's the downside of enabling vsync?

Great, thanks for the answers guys - I feel a lot better after spending the dough on this new computer haha.

What's the downside of enabling vsync?
    As long as the engine supports triple buffering (most games do) there's no downside. Vsync completely solves screen tearing problems, and with triple buffering there's no fps penalty.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by ravagetalon View Post
    The software cannot keep up with the hardware. WoW is a game engine designed on hardware from 7 years ago. Modern processors and graphics cards today are so fast that WoW can't keep up. It doesn't matter what rig you have, WoW's performance will cap out at a certain point.
    If only... WoW game engine got revamped last time in 4.0, you can consider it being two years old, not seven.

Also all MMOs have the same problem with massive CPU requirement due to syncing issues, it's not only WoW.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a sweet gorgeous Gateway 1680x1050 monitor 22" myself, and frankly, I found 8xAA was good for WoW, I would suggest that or even 4x, above 8x is very difficult to notice the difference.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water