Page 1 of 2
LastLast

My new build..any good?

I will be ordering this computer next week and I would like to know other people's opinions about it for some last minute changes if necessary:

Purpose: Gaming computer, I would like to run games such as BF3 at ULTRA, and WoW at ULTRA, I know WoW won't be a problem, but will it be able to handle BF3 at the highest possible?

NOTE: Should you want to suggest a new part, it must be available on http://pcandparts.com/price.htm as that is the only retailer in the third world country that I live in, I also know that almost everything is overpriced, but I have to deal with it.

Budget: Approximately $1500, the lower the better.

CPU: 3.4 GHz - i7-2600K 8M/LGA1155 $329
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO ATX (DDR3) (LGA1155) $254
    Ram: Patriot PGD34G1600ELK Gamer Division 2Series 4GB (2GBx2) PC3-12800 (1600MHz) KIT $77
    VGA: Asus ENGTX570/2DI/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 1.28GB DDR5 Dual $372
    HDD: 500GB WD5000AAKX 7200RPM S-ATAIII 16MB $88
    DVDRW: LG GH24NS50-24X DVDRW - Dual Layer SATA Black $24
    PSU: Thermaltake W0356RE Litepower 700W $84
    ThermalTake VM20001W2Z Armor A60 case $78

I would love to hear your opinions, please let me know if it can support the upcoming games in the near future (GW2/SWTOR) as well as Battlefield 3, especially, at ultra settings.

Thank you

Looks great, add more ram than 4 GB, that's my only suggestion (unless you want to hear my thoughts on intel vs. amd processors .

If you want to run bf3 on ultra I highly suggesting getting the i5-2500k instead (save $100, no performance loss) and upgrading to the 580.
    You could even drop the mobo down to a p8z68-v LX/LE to save more.. unless you plan to do sli/crossfire.
    Edit: yea didn't even notice the ram... definitely get 2x4gb... and don't bother with "gaming" ram... just get any 1600mhz cl9 ram that costs the least (and doesn't have reliability issues ofc... check reviews), the specs are the same.
    Last edited by taekvideo; 2011-11-09 at 04:10 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I prefer Intel over AMD and Nvidia over Radeon..not sure why, I just do, not out of experience either, just preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Myownsetup View Post
    I prefer Intel over AMD and Nvidia over Radeon..not sure why, I just do, not out of experience either, just preference.
    Well intel is a good choice right now... amd is way behind in cpu's.
    Radeon isn't a manufacturer... AMD actually makes the Radeon cards :P Nvidia and Radeon are pretty much died so it doesn't really matter.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    If you want to run bf3 on ultra I highly suggesting getting the i5-2500k instead (save $100, no performance loss) and upgrading to the 580.
    You could even drop the mobo down to a p8z68-v LX/LE to save more.. unless you plan to do sli/crossfire.
    Edit: yea didn't even notice the ram... definitely get 2x4gb... and don't bother with "gaming" ram... just get any 1600mhz cl9 ram that costs the least (and doesn't have reliability issues ofc... check reviews), the specs are the same.
    Any idea what RAM to get? Also, that motherboard is not listed on the website which means it is probably not available.

if you could check http://pcandparts.com/price.htm and suggest new RAM and a new motherboard, I'd highly appreciate it.

---------- Post added 2011-11-09 at 04:35 PM ----------

bump for more advice!

Deleted
    Any idea what RAM to get?
    Look at the corsair vengeance range, they are extremely cheap 8gig and upwards. Top quality and performance RAM.

Any idea what RAM to get? Also, that motherboard is not listed on the website which means it is probably not available.

if you could check http://pcandparts.com/price.htm and suggest new RAM and a new motherboard, I'd highly appreciate it.

---------- Post added 2011-11-09 at 04:35 PM ----------

bump for more advice!
    Damn that site has really poor selection lol. They don't even have the i5-2500k on their... you'd have to keep the i7-2600k if you want to overclock

Imo just grab 2x of the 4gb ddr3-1333 single kingston sticks, $27.00 part 4-k6... they're a very mainstream manufacturer and generally reliable.. much better than getting a mystery brand.. and that's 8gb for less than the 4gb kits o.O The 1600mhz ram would run you $100 more.. definitely not worth it for the minimal difference between 1333mhz and 1600mhz.

You could drop the mobo down to:
    Asus P8P67 LE (REV.3.0) ATX (DDR3) (LGA1155) $152.00 b4-2
    or
    Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 (DDR3) (LGA1155) Link $163.00 b4-8
    Either has all the features you need, assuming you aren't doing sli/crossfire.

Damn that site has really poor selection lol. They don't even have the i5-2500k on their... you'd have to keep the i7-2600k if you want to overclock

Imo just grab 2x of the 4gb ddr3-1333 single kingston sticks, $27.00 part 4-k6... they're a very mainstream manufacturer and generally reliable.. much better than getting a mystery brand.. and that's 8gb for less than the 4gb kits o.O The 1600mhz ram would run you $100 more.. definitely not worth it for the minimal difference between 1333mhz and 1600mhz.

You could drop the mobo down to:
    Asus P8P67 LE (REV.3.0) ATX (DDR3) (LGA1155) $152.00 b4-2
    or
    Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 (DDR3) (LGA1155) Link $163.00 b4-8
    Either has all the features you need, assuming you aren't doing sli/crossfire.
    If I wanted to upgrade to SLI in the future, which board would support it aside from the Z68, I want to get another one instead of that, its too overkill.

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3R (DDR3) (LGA1155) @ $232 is the cheapest they have with sli support

Really not worth it imo. Just get a 580 and stick with that for a couple years. You'd need a better power supply for sli in addition to the motherboard.

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3R (DDR3) (LGA1155) @ $232 is the cheapest they have with sli support

Really not worth it imo. Just get a 580 and stick with that for a couple years. You'd need a better power supply for sli in addition to the motherboard.
    gonna go with the Asus P8P67 LE (REV.3.0) ATX (DDR3) (LGA1155) then, it supports Asus ENGTX580/DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB DDR5 correct?

I emailed them asking about the i5-2500k but if not i might have to get the 2600k, however, with a 580, will i run everything at ultra?

In my experience Asus has better quality and performing motherboards than gigbyte. As for ram, Corsair is great as stated. As for AMD vs. Intel, I prefer AMD as you get more bang for your buck. Also, AMD has a reputation of better performance for gaming than does intel. Thermaltake=win for power and case supplies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaterheiler View Post
    In my experience Asus has better quality and performing motherboards than gigbyte. As for ram, Corsair is great as stated. As for AMD vs. Intel, I prefer AMD as you get more bang for your buck. Also, AMD has a reputation of better performance for gaming than does intel. Thermaltake=win for power and case supplies.
    He is bang on about AMD being better for your money, however stick with the Phenom ll range since personally I think they are better than the new FX rubbish. Which CPU's out of the Phenom range I believe are better are the 1090/1100t models.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaterheiler View Post
    AMD's reputation was for previous CPU generations. Since Sandybridge's release the new big dog on the block is Intel for gaming performance. When put head to head the Intel i3 2100 vs the equivalently priced AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE the Intel i3 2100 has the edge for gaming. It also has lower power consumption and a better upgrade path. This doesn't even factor in the superb performance from the i5 2500K and i7 2600K.

Needless to say the horse has been beaten more times than I can count but currently AMD has fallen behind Intel when it comes down to price / performance ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    AMD's reputation was for previous CPU generations. Since Sandybridge's release the new big dog on the block is Intel for gaming performance. When put head to head the Intel i3 2100 vs the equivalently priced AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE the Intel i3 2100 has the edge for gaming. It also has lower power consumption and a better upgrade path. This doesn't even factor in the superb performance from the i5 2500K and i7 2600K.

Needless to say the horse has been beaten more times than I can count but currently AMD has fallen behind Intel when it comes down to price / performance ratio.
    This exactly. Amd used to be better but they've been falling behind a lot these last few years.
    Intel is better bang from your buck for gaming all the way from the celeron g530 @ $57 up through the i5-2500k @ $220.
    Amd only really excels in their apu's and server cpu's... and of course their dedicated gpu's but those compete with nvidia not intel :P

does the Asus P8P67 LE (REV.3.0) ATX (DDR3) (LGA1155) support SLI for two GTX 570?

Edit: also, the only available RAM are Kingston and Patriot, which is better?

---------- Post added 2011-11-09 at 09:50 PM ----------

bump, dont wanna spend money on a computer not up to my standards!
    Last edited by Myownsetup; 2011-11-09 at 08:33 PM.

does the Asus P8P67 LE (REV.3.0) ATX (DDR3) (LGA1155) support SLI for two GTX 570?

Edit: also, the only available RAM are Kingston and Patriot, which is better?

---------- Post added 2011-11-09 at 09:50 PM ----------

bump, dont wanna spend money on a computer not up to my standards!
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3R (DDR3) (LGA1155) @ $232 is the cheapest they have with sli support. The p8p67 le doesn't.

Both kingston and patriot are good... but I'd definitely get those kingston ones as the patriot ram kits on that site are way overpriced.
    Unless part 4-k5 is patriot.. it doesn't say the brand.

As for the case, I'm going with this, http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...C=1325&ID=1968

Is it good? Does fit all of the components nicely? Enough ventilation?

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3R (DDR3) (LGA1155) @ $232 is the cheapest they have with sli support. The p8p67 le doesn't.

Both kingston and patriot are good... but I'd definitely get those kingston ones as the patriot ram kits on that site are way overpriced.
    Unless part 4-k5 is patriot.. it doesn't say the brand.
    What's wrong with part 4-k6 instead of 4-k5, also, i'm gonna stick with Asus P8P67 LE (REV.3.0) ATX (DDR3) (LGA1155).

Finally, if anyone could suggest a CPU fan from http://pcandparts.com/must.htm ,i'd appreciate it, as i'd like to overclock the 2600k

---------- Post added 2011-11-10 at 07:57 PM ----------

bump!! Ordering in a day or two, need to know asap

For the cpu cooler go with this: ThermalTake CLP0564 Frio for LGA1366, LGA1156/5& LGA775 CPU Cooler $54.00 (z-46)
    Will give you lots of overclocking headroom.

4-k6 is fine, that's the one I recommended you go with.

For the cpu cooler go with this: ThermalTake CLP0564 Frio for LGA1366, LGA1156/5& LGA775 CPU Cooler $54.00 (z-46)
    Will give you lots of overclocking headroom.

4-k6 is fine, that's the one I recommended you go with.
    Last but not least, the case, does fit all the components including the VGA? Enough ventilation?

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...C=1325&ID=1968