Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by matters View Post
    Hmm now i dont think so. Four unique classes, limited options for PvP, gimmicky voiced quests etc. It doesnt take a genius to realize that this game really has nothing other than the Star Wars name and the company Bioware going for it. To people who dont absolutely LOVE star wars this game will fly right over their head, to those that absolutely LOVE star wars its a no brainer so-to-say.
    I actually disagree. I'm not a huge fan of star wars... in fact, I wouldn't even say I was a fan - the movies are okay and I haven't bothered with any other star wars things.

I'ce actually thoroughly enjoying the game during conventions and I actually like the voiced quests ^_^ I'll be subbing, but will still be playing WoW as my main game... but SWTOR is awesome.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-11-13 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    I forsee alot more than just 2 million at the start. There are alot of people who simply just don't pre order a game, so we just have to wait and see.
    I did not preorder and do not plan on preordering.

---------- Post added 2011-11-13 at 11:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    This is very relevant to your interests about social interaction within SWTOR. Please read the whole thing. http://www.curse.com/news/star-wars-...-old-republics

The fact is you can play SWTOR like a single player game, but there are many opportunities for multiplayer, sometimes the multiplayer might not be in your face so you might have to go looking for it as the article linked above seems to suggest.
    Pretty much this. There's always opportunity to interact with other players especially on the origin worlds where everyone is basically doing all the same quests (save for the class story ones). I think it's great that you can single player it up. It helps new people to MMOs get used to the fact that there are other people playing the avatars. At the same time, you can group for your quests if you want. In my experience and opinion, you can't complain about a game being antisocial if you're not being proactive about it. If someone asks for help on a quest, don't be afraid to help them out! (that's just a general remark directed at nobody in particular)
    Last edited by Jaronicity; 2011-11-13 at 12:14 PM. Reason: bad spelling at night

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just going to comment on a few points.

-8 classes, not 4. Advanced classes are classes, not specs.

-Limited PvP? Compared to what? Because they are not launching with arena or ladders? Yeah, ok...

-Gimmicky voice quests? Are you kidding me? You may not like them, but gimmicky? Come on. My challenge to those of you that have played early levels in TOR is to now go back and play other MMOs at early levels. Tell me how you feel about them after you've had a chance to see what TOR does.

-"It doesn't take a genius to figure out that only people that love SW and Bioware will love this game". Not even close to the mark. As you said with this, WoW only had Warcraft and Blizzard going for it. If you can tell me the difference, I'll give you a cookie. Hell, I'd even argue that gives them a better shot. SW is MUCH more popular than Warcraft was, and Bioware is just as big as Blizzard was, if not bigger. So again, that's not really a relevant thing to say.

-This is 3000 years before GL's movies. GL has nothing to do with this. It is the EU universe and a time period that Bioware created themselves with KotOR.

-Monthly fees are already known. It's the same as WoW, though you can do longer subs to decrease the monthly price. It's on their web page.

-There is more group content in the first couple zones of TOr than the entire game of WoW (excluding endgame).

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

I don't think so. Honestly, I just don't care for Star Wars. I think it's a dumb franchise. But that's my opinion. Only that.

Also I can't invest any more time in another mmo. I already learned that lesson with wow.

I know I won't. I just cannot play anything else then a Blizzard MMO.

Ofcourse gonna try it, with ArcheAge and Bless.

I've pre-orderd and looking forward to it!

The funny thing is comparing the weekend beta SWTOR to current WoW is a bad idea. WoW is a roller coaster ride of solo play to jam your toon to level 85 as fast as you possibly can to start having fun playing the game. Don't get me wrong I had a lot of fun leveling and I miss the days where people grouped up for Skull mob quests, but the bread and butter of WoW longevity is and always will be the raiding / pvp endgame.

SWTOR could be utter shit from 1 to 49 or it could be a climatic game orgasm from 1 to 49 but ultimately that won't decide how long people play this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    I forsee alot more than just 2 million at the start. There are alot of people who simply just don't pre order a game, so we just have to wait and see.
    This is also correct. I, for instance, have not pre-ordered ToR. My present computer is so out of date it can only run WoW on the lowest settings and doesn't even meet ToR's minimum req. I'm hoping to have enough money by Christmas to buy a new system and plan on getting ToR shortly after that.

As a side note, I really like that Bioware is going the extra step to stress-test servers and stagger player access. After three expansions worth of server crashes (remember when Wintergrasp went live?) in WoW, it's nice to see that someone can learn and compensate for high-initial player volume.

I don't know..
    There will be a lot of fans of Swtor because its game based on star wars. So it will be popular.
    But I doubt it will ever become as popular as WoW was, and I doubt that they will ever hit 10million subscribers.

Also they are doing like HUGE mistake. Currently there is almost no endgame content in this game at all.
    What are we supposed to do on max level?

Without something that will keep us interested game will die within few years tops.

There were like A LOT of mmorpgs last years, but none of them was able to get 10 millions of active subscribers, and non of them was able to keep them interested for such a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkalark View Post
    The funny thing is comparing the weekend beta SWTOR to current WoW is a bad idea. WoW is a roller coaster ride of solo play to jam your toon to level 85 as fast as you possibly can to start having fun playing the game. Don't get me wrong I had a lot of fun leveling and I miss the days where people grouped up for Skull mob quests, but the bread and butter of WoW longevity is and always will be the raiding / pvp endgame.

SWTOR could be utter shit from 1 to 49 or it could be a climatic game orgasm from 1 to 49 but ultimately that won't decide how long people play this game.
    I think you're missing the point. Bioware isn't pandering (yes, I went there) to the generic WoW player. After all the generic WoW player doesn't read quest text. He rush's, as you pointed out, from one to eighty-five as fast as possible. With ToR Bioware is trying to emphasize the leveling process by adding "cut-scenes" and making choices meaningful. You can't just click "accept" and move on. You have multiple choices when accepting a quest, and each one has the potential to affect your character further down the leveling road. Add on to that that each "class" has a different story to level through, adding up to eight total stories. Compare that to WoW, where every class has the exact same story no matter what faction you play.

There is, of course, end-game. They've already shown several flash-points (dungeons), at least one raid, at least one world PVP-oriented area, and several battlegrounds. It just happens that in ToR, the leveling process is just as important (if not more so) than the end-game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    I don't know..
    There will be a lot of fans of Swtor because its game based on star wars. So it will be popular.
    But I doubt it will ever become as popular as WoW was, and I doubt that they will ever hit 10million subscribers.

Also they are doing like HUGE mistake. Currently there is almost no endgame content in this game at all.
    What are we supposed to do on max level?

Without something that will keep us interested game will die within few years tops.

There were like A LOT of mmorpgs last years, but none of them was able to get 10 millions of active subscribers, and non of them was able to keep them interested for such a long time.
    You must be joking or you're just uninformed. Almost no endgame content?

You have 15 hardmode flashpoints, you have 2 raids with 2 different difficulty lvl, you have one planet that is dedicated to end-game content and PvP and you have 8 different class stories for those who just love to reroll.

What do you want more? did you really expected a game to have the same content as WoW at launch? WoW is 7 years old, it's more than 7 years of developments, it has 3 expansions after launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm guessing it'll go roughly the same way as Rift. A little better, maybe, but it'll fade quickly.

Now, now, don't get mad at me. I don't have anything against the game, it's just how I think things will turn out. My guess is as good as yours.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

allr overrated and hyped to death, so ... ill save me the money to have fun for 3 days and then be bored again
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdemar View Post
    Holy shit reading that post made my eyes feel weird. My sight is superfocused too...

fuck this shit man I'm going to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    It depends initially, I play MMOs for the social aspect and to duo leveling and any other fun stuff with my GF.

I worry SWToR will not be very social, as I keep hearing about leveling feeling like a single player game. Can any beta testers please shine a little light on this process? I highly doubt something a simple as grouping or if it's a social game are covered by the NDA.
    Bioware is actually trying to re-enforce the social aspect of the game. They've already set up a system to form guilds and register them before launch. You can start entering dungeons as early as level 8. There will be a LFD-style system, but it will only work within your realm instead of going "cross-server." Bioware is even taking steps to make it a little easier to group up when you want. There have been reports about two guild members entering a dungeon (which are four-man instead of five) and using their "companions" to fill in the missing roles.

Deleted
    Wont play it, wont even try it. I like Star Wars and all, but not enough to play the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't aware that the thread title and OP changed into, "Will you play?" ...

There are so many SW fanatics that have been dreaming of playing a free roam Star Wars MMO that even if the game sucks(which I don't even remotely think it will after 5+ years, $200+ million invested, & Bioware) it will hold at least 2 Mil subs!

Deleted
    Hype, it will go down after 1 year, how special will it to be a Jedi when u stand next to 100 Jedis with lightsabers making it look like a X-Mas party...I hope for wow subscriptions to go down further so developers start thinking about giving us a good product instead of milking it...

10+ Year Old Account
    100+ million dollars. The 200 and 300 million numbers are just made up crap.

---------- Post added 2011-11-13 at 08:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post
    Hype, it will go down after 1 year, how special will it to be a Jedi when u stand next to 100 Jedis with lightsabers making it look like a X-Mas party...I hope for wow subscriptions to go down further so developers start thinking about giving us a good product instead of milking it...
    You do understand that it's an MMO and that in every MMO you are standing next to a great many people that are the same as you, right?

I just don't get some of these points that are trying to be made.

Deleted
    If someone honestly thought theres no top level content there just bashing for the sake of bashing and havent bothered to research what so ever.

Game longetivity and continuing subs relies on updates to content, for examply Rift has actually sustained sub numbers because it ships out content patches at a decent pace.

That it what will decide player numbers and how long people stay, from a QnA i seem to remember they said they want with each patch to continue down the story route which i assume to mean that with new operations that new story arcs will be churned out aswel which can only be a good thing for the single player mode type of player aswel.

As for the topic, i can easily see the 1 milliong copies being broken in the US and wouldnt be surprised if the EU reached that aswel. Put in digital copies aswel + redzone areas i would be guessing the 3 million mark is a good bet. There or thereabouts