Page 1 of 6
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    The Patient Lannden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Boston, Mass
    Posts
    315

    PvE Progression?

    Please excuse if this has already been asked but I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere and I fear I would get flamed for posting this on the GW2 fan forums.

    I have been looking into GW2 a lot lately but my interest has been lessened after I learned that GW2 would not have endgame PvE Progression. The second you hit max level you can finish any dungeon or dynamic event in the game. Don't get me wrong I am not elitist or a no-lifer, I just enjoy the loot-treadmill style of endgame. It gives me goals to work towards and I really enjoy that (I know it might sound weird to some but that is just me I guess.) Even if it takes me months to complete every dungeon and event in the game after that then what? I'm assuming they wont have content patches and will just hold all new content for the expansions, which is how I understand GW1 did it.

    I'm not attacking the game I'm just assuming the game Is not for me from what I have read. Can anyone give me a reason to play past the level cap that I might have missed?

  2. #2
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Lannden View Post
    Can anyone give me a reason to play past the level cap that I might have missed?
    Fun!
    GW2 is designed to be a game, not a job.

  3. #3
    The Patient Klazmaunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by Lannden View Post
    I just enjoy the loot-treadmill style of endgame.
    Wait, what?

    On a serious note. The game provides a vast world to explore, fight, and have fun in. Dynamic events will occur everywhere at anytime and there are TONS out there to do. And I mean tons. The 8 dungeons provide 4 different "ways" to complete them, three of them being extremely challenging and different from the others.

    If you enjoy the loot-treadmill style, I don't know what to tell you because I don't understand your way of thinking. I won't bash it, or belittle it. I just don't understand it
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

  4. #4
    The Patient Lannden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Boston, Mass
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Fun!
    GW2 is designed to be a game, not a job.
    But if there's no reason to do something or a carrot on a stick, if you will, for me to pursue there's not much fun for me. I enjoy raiding in WoW but if there was not some larger goal to work for I don't think I would come back week after week. Its not a job to me its how I have fun in an MMO.

  5. #5
    The Patient Klazmaunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    340
    The "reason" you're speaking of in Guild Wars 2 is fun. The reason you enjoy WoW is the reason I quit it and despise it. There is an endless cycle that requires you to keep up or else you fall behind and have absolutely nothing to do. With WoW, I raided for 5 years on and off and enjoyed them. Then it got to the point where I said to myself, "This is kind of stupid. In 4 months I'll do it all over again for new, shinier gear." and quit.

    With Guild Wars, I don't really have to worry about that. I can go do things with friends that are just for pure entertainment, not to "keep up." We can search around for some dynamic events to do, put together a quirky feeling group and go try some dungeons. There's no stress involved in my opinion.
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Lannden View Post
    But if there's no reason to do something or a carrot on a stick, if you will, for me to pursue there's not much fun for me. I enjoy raiding in WoW but if there was not some larger goal to work for I don't think I would come back week after week. Its not a job to me its how I have fun in an MMO.
    The carrot on a stick is still there, you play through and you get better armour visually, not better armour stat wise.

    So if you want to be the guy who has the armour of super epicness, you still can.

  7. #7
    The Patient Lannden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Boston, Mass
    Posts
    315
    It does sound like a wonderful game, but sadly I don't think its for me or my Type A personality. I'll probably still buy it since the leveling it self looks like a lot of fun though.

  8. #8
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Lannden View Post
    But if there's no reason to do something or a carrot on a stick, if you will, for me to pursue there's not much fun for me.
    I'll bet that when you started playing Wow, that you played it because you thought it looked like a fun game and had no idea what "endgame" was. Blizzard funnels players into raiding because it is the easiest way to keep people subscribed. GW2 on the other hand has no monthly fee, so the game is designed that you can play as much or as little as you like. You can even not play for months, and come back and not be at a disadvantage.

  9. #9
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by Lannden View Post
    But if there's no reason to do something or a carrot on a stick, if you will, for me to pursue there's not much fun for me. I enjoy raiding in WoW but if there was not some larger goal to work for I don't think I would come back week after week. Its not a job to me its how I have fun in an MMO.
    Think of reasons to play GW2 as the reason you'd play any non MMO game. Say Dragon Age.
    You want to do it for a fun experience.
    Now put that experience online with lots of people. The standard "Skinnerbox think" doesn't work here.

    And there will be gear you can work for. Just not stricktly speaking more powerful gear. Different looks, and maybe different stats/traits on them that might fit what you want better.

    You are also fully free to create your own metagame to work towards.

  10. #10
    The Patient Lannden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Boston, Mass
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    I'll bet that when you started playing Wow, that you played it because you thought it looked like a fun game and had no idea what "endgame" was. Blizzard funnels players into raiding because it is the easiest way to keep people subscribed. GW2 on the other hand has no monthly fee, so the game is designed that you can play as much or as little as you like. You can even not play for months, and come back and not be at a disadvantage.
    Actually I did. When I was in High School many many years ago, I had broken my leg and would be unable to play any of the sports I played for almost a year when I was 15. My friend told me about FFXI and its endgame and it snowballed from there.

  11. #11
    Herald of the Titans Mighty Blue Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Lannden View Post
    Please excuse if this has already been asked but I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere and I fear I would get flamed for posting this on the GW2 fan forums.

    I have been looking into GW2 a lot lately but my interest has been lessened after I learned that GW2 would not have endgame PvE Progression. The second you hit max level you can finish any dungeon or dynamic event in the game. Don't get me wrong I am not elitist or a no-lifer, I just enjoy the loot-treadmill style of endgame. It gives me goals to work towards and I really enjoy that (I know it might sound weird to some but that is just me I guess.) Even if it takes me months to complete every dungeon and event in the game after that then what? I'm assuming they wont have content patches and will just hold all new content for the expansions, which is how I understand GW1 did it.

    I'm not attacking the game I'm just assuming the game Is not for me from what I have read. Can anyone give me a reason to play past the level cap that I might have missed?
    I'm betting you have played Blizzard games for years. Starcraft was their only non-loot grind game. Diablo was a gear grind so you could kill the bosses, and so is WoW in a nutshell. Guild Wars 2 escapes this mentality and tries to aim for fun, something foreign to most WoW players these days (especially Wrathbabies).

    If you can't grasp the concept of fun in a game for the sake of fun, GW2 maybe not be for you. Go play SWTOR or something.

  12. #12
    The Patient Lannden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Boston, Mass
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    If you can't grasp the concept of fun in a game for the sake of fun, GW2 maybe not be for you. Go play SWTOR or something.
    Excuse me but it is not that I don't grasp the concept and find it very offensive that you worded it that way. I do play games for fun just because I have fun differently than you does not mean I'm not having fun.
    Last edited by Lannden; 2011-11-09 at 09:10 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Lannden View Post
    Please excuse if this has already been asked but I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere and I fear I would get flamed for posting this on the GW2 fan forums.

    I have been looking into GW2 a lot lately but my interest has been lessened after I learned that GW2 would not have endgame PvE Progression. The second you hit max level you can finish any dungeon or dynamic event in the game. Don't get me wrong I am not elitist or a no-lifer, I just enjoy the loot-treadmill style of endgame. It gives me goals to work towards and I really enjoy that (I know it might sound weird to some but that is just me I guess.) Even if it takes me months to complete every dungeon and event in the game after that then what? I'm assuming they wont have content patches and will just hold all new content for the expansions, which is how I understand GW1 did it.

    I'm not attacking the game I'm just assuming the game Is not for me from what I have read. Can anyone give me a reason to play past the level cap that I might have missed?
    Its really a more PVP orientated game to be honest. They just want to give the PVE'ers something to do anyway.


    You No like Panda's Well I am gonna Hunt you down! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Joenano View Post
    Its really a more PVP orientated game to be honest. They just want to give the PVE'ers something to do anyway.
    so much pvp oriented they prevent people from pvp-ing in the open world. alright.

  15. #15
    Immortal Chickat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    7,394
    Ill be sure to pick up guild wars 2, but I probably wont be able to play it for months at a time like i do wow. That imo is a shame. Once I do everything twice then there's no reason for me to do it again. I dont care about visuals, and if I decide I like the way my past tier looked then what am I to do after I beat the new content. I wont have any reason to do it again because my set is in my opinion complete. I want to play it like an mmo, and sadly I wont be able to do that.
    Last edited by Chickat; 2011-11-09 at 09:22 PM.
    Send me a PM and suggest a forum avatar based on my title, Immortal.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Joenano View Post
    Its really a more PVP orientated game to be honest. They just want to give the PVE'ers something to do anyway.
    That's not true at all.

    Anyway, OP, this really isn't a carrot on a stick type of game, at least from a power gear perspective. It's designed to really be a plug in and out type of game (meaning you can play at anytime, quit anytime without thinking you have to keep up with all of the other Jones'). If you are really set on a item treadmill/raiding type of game then this probably isn't your best option.

  17. #17
    The Patient Lannden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Boston, Mass
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Ill be sure to pick up guild wars 2, but I probably wont be able to play it for months at a time like i do wow. That imo is a shame. Once I do everything twice then there's no reason for me to do it again. I dont care about visuals, and if I decide I like the way my past tier looked then what am I to do after I beat the new content. I wont have any reason to do it again because my set is in my opinion is complete. I want to play it like an mmo, and sadly I wont be able to do that.
    That's basically my problem. I'm still going to play but not like an MMO which is what I was hoping to do.

  18. #18
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Joenano View Post
    Its really a more PVP orientated game to be honest. They just want to give the PVE'ers something to do anyway.
    That is such a stupid comment.

    If GW2 was all about PVP it would of been released 4 years ago, because they wouldn't of bothered to create an entire PVE world, with a groudbreaking event system, and a branching RPG single player storyline for all 5 races.

  19. #19
    Herald of the Titans Pancaspe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Fun!
    GW2 is designed to be a game, not a job.
    Another words, get your money's worth in the first 30 days, then back to WOW

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Once I do everything twice then there's no reason for me to do it again.
    you just tell me when you'll even do everything once.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I dont care about visuals, and if I decide I like the way my past tier looked then what am I to do after I beat the new content. I wont have any reason to do it again because my set is in my opinion is complete.
    if that's how you'll feel, there'll be nothing more to say.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I want to play it like an mmo, and sadly I wont be able to do that.
    define "play a mmo like a mmo"?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •