Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Play it like WoW...
    if you want to play a mmo like wow, playing wow might be the best solution if you ask me.
    I want to have a reason to do things. If i dont like the look of the new dungeon gear then there's no reason for me to go in there more then a couple of times. I simply enjoy that aspect of wow. IF gw2 would have had that progression, then i would say bye bye to wow, but it wont so i wont.
    while that may be fine for dungeons but that can hardly apply to raids (unless you got friends to carry you through the last current tier). the so called "progression" you're describing is pretty meh.

GW2 despite being and "mmo" is thought in a different way, remember you will not pay a monthly fee, so I think it'll be more like telling your friends "let's have some fun" log in and have some fun...

Look at it as a simple multiplayer game (battlefield or any other sport game) where you won't be playing to get any needed gear to stay competitive but to have fun doing something with your friends...

I don't really know but that's kind of the way I look at it...

10+ Year Old Account
    Ill buy gw2 and ill enjoy it for a while like i do non mmos, and since gw2 doesn't have a sub fee i will get my moneys worth. Im just saying i wish it had wow like progression that is all. I cant say any more then that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lannden View Post
    Please excuse if this has already been asked but I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere and I fear I would get flamed for posting this on the GW2 fan forums.

I have been looking into GW2 a lot lately but my interest has been lessened after I learned that GW2 would not have endgame PvE Progression. The second you hit max level you can finish any dungeon or dynamic event in the game. Don't get me wrong I am not elitist or a no-lifer, I just enjoy the loot-treadmill style of endgame. It gives me goals to work towards and I really enjoy that (I know it might sound weird to some but that is just me I guess.) Even if it takes me months to complete every dungeon and event in the game after that then what? I'm assuming they wont have content patches and will just hold all new content for the expansions, which is how I understand GW1 did it.

I'm not attacking the game I'm just assuming the game Is not for me from what I have read. Can anyone give me a reason to play past the level cap that I might have missed?
    Hey ya. First let me say I understand your POV. Raiding and dungeon running are the main draw of an MMO for me personally. Starting as far back as Planes of Power in EQ1. I currently raid 4 nights weekly in Rift in a hardcore PVE guild which has been together through 3 MMOs now.

With regards to Guild Wars 2; it helps to think of the game as a non-serious or casual MMO from a PVE perspective. At least as defined by the aspects many raiders enjoy. That isn't an inherent negative though.

Without a subscription fee, the game's design indicates PVE will be similar to the first GW- PVE endgame content focused on adventure elements such as exploration, collection, story, etc.

A really well done side-game is how I always treated the GW franchise. Great to play between League of Legends matches, off-days in WOW/Rift or waste a sleepy afternoon on attempting to collect achievements/costumes. The reason why GW can get away with a slight endgame is they are not bound to subscription.

$60 for Guild Wars 2 and 40-70 hours of gameplay? Not too bad at all. I paid more for Dead Island, Rage and Assassin's Creed. Played them for less than 20 hours combined.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2011-11-09 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moinaldo View Post
    GW2 despite being and "mmo" is thought in a different way, remember you will not pay a monthly fee, so I think it'll be more like telling your friends "let's have some fun" log in and have some fun...

Look at it as a simple multiplayer game (battlefield or any other sport game) where you won't be playing to get any needed gear to stay competitive but to have fun doing something with your friends...

I don't really know but that's kind of the way I look at it...
    no monthly fee just makes it that you don't feel like you're not "wasting" money when not playing. nothing more nothing less.

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks like the best way for me to treat this game is like I do for BF3, TF2, LoL or any single player game and just play it for the hell of it every now and then. Itg wont be replacing WoW as my MMO though, which is kind of disappointing with all the innovations it seems to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Without a subscription fee, the game's design indicates PVE will be similar to the first GW- PVE endgame content focused on adventure elements such as exploration, collection, story, etc.

A really well done side-game is how I always treated the GW franchise. Great to play between League of Legends matches, off-days in WOW/Rift or waste a sleepy afternoon on attempting to collect achievements/costumes. The reason why GW can get away with a slight endgame is they are not bound to subscription.

$60 for Guild Wars 2 and 40-70 hours of gameplay? Not too bad at all. I paid more for Dead Island, Rage and Assassin's Creed. Played them for less than 20 hours combined.
    today's Anet is nothing like what it was when they released GW1, they have a much bigger team now so if i may, you're probably totaly wrong on that point.
    Last edited by sacrypheyes; 2011-11-09 at 10:26 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ill buy gw2 and ill enjoy it for a while like i do non mmos, and since gw2 doesn't have a sub fee i will get my moneys worth. Im just saying i wish it had wow like progression that is all. I cant say any more then that.
    If you really want some form of progression you can easily set up your own meta goals. Or just fight for hard to get achivements.
    It's quite easy to set up progression by yourself if you just think about it. That won't be as compelling as a very manipulative process that far to many gears use either.

It looks like the best way for me to treat this game is like I do for BF3, TF2, LoL or any single player game and just play it for the hell of it every now and then. Itg wont be replacing WoW as my MMO though, which is kind of disappointing with all the innovations it seems to have.
    This ^

That's the way I think it's better to look at it, obviously it's an RPG but with the feeling of the games you mention... mainly because you will not be paying every month...

PS: I can't wait to play it... it's been a while since a game made me feel so much anxiety.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    I think he's more looking for an excuse not too.

If you want Wow, play Wow.
    Don't go to KFC and ask for a Big Mac...
    More or less this. I currently play WoW without raiding/gear grinding much and I still have fun leveling alts, etc. I'll be doing even more of this in GW2, not gear grinding because that's all there is.

Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    today's Anet is nothing like what it was when they released GW1, they have a much bigger team now so if i may, you're probably totaly wrong on that point.
    Which point?

The themepark gear progression treadmill similar to WoW is being done already by many popular games. There is no real reason to have more of them.
    If you want WoW, just play WoW or any other Everquest/WoW type of games.
    There are many MMOs that don't follow that trend and GW is one of them. They don't want and they don't need to have that kind of progression (aka no sub fee). End of story.

Deleted
    Because rebalancing the game every time new content is released is so much fun for devs and players!

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people I know are going to be playing it because it DOESN'T have this in it. Most people are tired of having to log on, sit in LFD for 20-50mins, get the pop, waste about an hour or more on one dungeon, and then have to rinse and repeat. I am also getting to the point of being tired of it, but I'm leveling my Alliance alts finally in preparation for Mists of Pandaria, so I have something different to do than grind gear (at least until they hit 85).

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Because rebalancing the game every time new content is released is so much fun for devs and players!
    it is fun for many players. i love reset points and tooling with new loadouts/theorycraft.

it's not like everyone who plays wow/eq style mmos is miserable with those conventions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I understood why people enjoyed the treadmill. I'll make a fitness comparison.

The majority of high end trainers and strength coaches will tell you to stay away from the treadmill. They say to go run out in your neighborhood, or in a park. You get diverse terrain and a good dose of (hopefully) healthy air and some nice sunshine.

I look at GW2 like that. I'm going to be enjoying myself running around outside, setting different goals as I continue on in the game. I won't be stuffed inside a gym with a few unattractive women and guys in awkward tight pants with the TV on a horrid soap opera. I get to run wherever I like.
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

Which point?
    the first point quoted maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    the first point quoted maybe?
    Team size doesn't have a thing to do with that.

What leads you to believe based on what we know of the GW2's design PVE endgame focus would not be on those elements? Name them.

10+ Year Old Account
    To have fun I need a goal its just how I am. That's my personality, I know there are people who have fun just fooling around, that is not me. For example when I play GTA or Read Dead, or Fallout I finish the missions. I find no fun in just running around doing random things in those games. GW2 is not for me, at least not as my main MMO. I don't think any amount of you telling me what is or is not fun will change that just like I know I can't change your tastes.

To have fun I need a goal its just how I am. That's my personality, I know there are people who have fun just fooling around, that is not me. For example when I play GTA or Read Dead, or Fallout I finish the missions. I find no fun in just running around doing random things in those games. GW2 is not for me, at least not as my main MMO. I don't think any amount of you telling me what is or is not fun will change that just like I know I can't change your tastes.
    Again, I am the same gamer type as yourself it seems. I like to complete a game or work toward a certain plateau.

Despite the unnecessary explanations of GW2 game philosophy by white knights- there will be ameasure of progression in GW2 in the form of story and achievements. Which has been shown to work as advertised in rather lengthy videos. If nothing else, GW2 will have a very solid story and awesome means of presenting that story and world.

Combat looks fluid and simply amazing too. Def. check out those combat vids if you missed them.

Best approach is treat GW2 as a single player game and keep your WOW subscription. The beauty of GW2 is it requires no sub. So risk factor is at most 50-60$ at launch.