Thread: "Dual Spec"

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

"Dual Spec"

Just curious if I will be locked into my Shadow role as a Jedi Consular, or if I will be able to switch between that and the healing Consular Sage. Anyone know about this yet?

No dual specs at launch.

well, what you're asking about is if people can switch between advanced classes, and while a few things have been thrown around by devs in the past, there is no concrete answer to that yet, and there will be much talk everywhere when they've decided.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really hoping you will be able to through some quest line or something. Would REALLY fucking suck if I rolled a sith marauder spec, only to find that in one patch the single bladed lightsaber spec in juggernaut provides the highest dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    I'm really hoping you will be able to through some quest line or something. Would REALLY fucking suck if I rolled a sith marauder spec, only to find that in one patch the single bladed lightsaber spec in juggernaut provides the highest dps.
    It's not a specc, it's a class in it's own. The first 10 levels is just a basic introduction to the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I'd like to see a limited Duel spec that is confined to your AC for example a Jedi Sentinel could have a Watchman and Combat build, I don't want to see a Jedi Sentinel been able to swap to a Guardian role etc

Lightning. It flashes bright, then... fades away. It can't protect. It only destroys

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    well, what you're asking about is if people can switch between advanced classes, and while a few things have been thrown around by devs in the past, there is no concrete answer to that yet, and there will be much talk everywhere when they've decided.
    confirmed in dev post 2 months ago, AC switch will be in for a high cost.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora View Post
    confirmed in dev post 2 months ago, AC switch will be in for a high cost.
    Can't find the specific reference, but I remember reading this too, although I'm sure this is still evolving through development. Its something along the lines of:
    a) Only be available a certain number of levels after you initially pick at level 10.
    b) Will significantly increase in cost as you level such that you'd need to be Bill Gates to afford it.

Regarding dual spec, you can see it most of the way down this blog:
    Q: Since it has been clearly stated that there will not be dual specs for characters in the game, can you explain your philosophy behind the skill trees and how you are taking into account players that want to be able to play PvP and PvE content on the same character? - illumineart

A: Dual Speccing is something we want to add soon after launch. Also, features like Guard, PvP Taunt, Resolve, etc. work to narrow the gap between PvP and PvE specialized skills (i.e. a +Block skill would be helpful in both PvE and PvP).

See also this thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...r-actual-specs
    Last edited by Kirsae; 2011-11-10 at 02:44 PM.

AC is not a spec, its a class would you ask for a way to switch between mage and warlock in wow?

---------- Post added 2011-11-10 at 09:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kyira View Post
    I'd like to see a limited Duel spec that is confined to your AC for example a Jedi Sentinel could have a Watchman and Combat build, I don't want to see a Jedi Sentinel been able to swap to a Guardian role etc
    This... As you can respec within your AC whenever you want duelspec is fine that way, being able to switch Class shouldn't be allowed after like level 20 and only once in case you didn't understand and picked wrong AC since its a different format than other games

10+ Year Old Account
    aaaaaaaand queue the argument about what an AC is.

*Waits for Mod to come in here and ... well you know the drill*

There's no argument AC is class not spec unless you have a three tree spec system within another spec

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elyoric View Post
    Can't find the specific reference, but I remember reading this too, although I'm sure this is still evolving through development. Its something along the lines of:
    a) Only be available a certain number of levels after you initially pick at level 10.
    b) Will significantly increase in cost as you level such that you'd need to be Bill Gates to afford it.
    I believe they said it MAY be in, and that they were testing it for balance issues. IF implemented, the 2 points you listed are the most likely situation, as their original stance was to not allow AC switching.

Another point I noticed in this thread, and several people have already commented on it, AC's =/= spec's. For comparison to other MMO's, they should be considered classes as they are in every aspect a different class. From wearing different armor and using different weapons (dual bladed light saber, dual wielding, Sniper rifle, shotgun, etc) to completely different mechanics each AC has (A tanking AC, even spec'd for dps, still has a shield ability, taunt, guard, etc. A healing AC, even spec'd for dps, has heals they can use in a pinch in emergencies, etc.)

I know, with the NDA in effect, finding some answers can be difficult, but once you get into the game and take it for a test run, these things will make much more sense and the confusion between spec and AC should hopefully die.

Last edited by Deckon; 2011-11-10 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckon View Post
    the confusion between spec and AC should hopefully die.

one can only hope that someone makes a video for people to understand it's not an issue and how not to bring it up.

it's right up there with these gems, all from the SWTOR forums at one point.

"why can't i choose a troll"
    "where is mankrik's wife"
    "do i have to install origin to play TOR"
    "do i have to download 27gb ?"
    "lifetime subs are a sign of failure"
    "do i have to do quests to level"
    "i want a SWG crafting system in TOR. fixiit"
    "i want a class that can make money dancing in cantinas"
    "why isnt there arenas in TOR ?"
    "cyborgs are lame"
    "everyone looks like people. why no pandas or gnomes"
    "can i get a horse"
    "why are there so many tanks"
    "how do i run a 10 man with only 8 people"
    "recount will ruin this game"
    "when do we get addons"
    "we need gearscore or armory pages to discriminate for groups"
    "if i can't get in on the early start, people will be raiding without me by new years eve"
    "what do you mean there's no server firsts ? /ragequit"
    "theres no where to do fishing ? what ?"
    "no rep grind at endgame ?"
    "no rep grind for 20 factions, at all ?"
    "no rep grind for raid gear ?"
    "crafting produces items you can use ? that's unfair"
    "loot bags are so unfair. you could get anything in them"
    "i live in a non-US country, it's unfair that it runs on US servers"
    "it's true, hayden is the best actor of all time"
    "i hate people calling SW:TOR swohhtor"

decide where your query fits on this list, and reconsider.

These responses make me want to smack a baby. They are separate classes, you should not be able to freely switch between them at a whim.

"Im a rogue, but feral druid does more damage, I should be able to switch to be a druid"

AC switching will probably be implemented, mainly for a couple reasons.

1. Oh shit i chose wrong moments pre 20.
    2. Test driving ACs pre 20.

In the first 10 levels you should really have an idea about how each AC will play differently and choose the one that suits you the best.

In this example the marauder is a DPS machine that is pretty much good for nothing else, if that sounds like you then great. However if you may want to tank at some point or like the heavy armor single saber look and a bleed dps spec, Jugg might be for you.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    Just curious if I will be locked into my Shadow role as a Jedi Consular, or if I will be able to switch between that and the healing Consular Sage. Anyone know about this yet?
    Bioware's stance thus far has been that you will be locked to your Advanced Class (AC) but will be able to respec between the 3 talent trees within your AC. A dual speccing system will not be in the game at launch, but will be added "soon" after launch.

Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    AC switching will probably be implemented, mainly for a couple reasons.

1. Oh shit i chose wrong moments pre 20.
    2. Test driving ACs pre 20.

In the first 10 levels you should really have an idea about how each AC will play differently and choose the one that suits you the best.

In this example the marauder is a DPS machine that is pretty much good for nothing else, if that sounds like you then great. However if you may want to tank at some point or like the heavy armor single saber look and a bleed dps spec, Jugg might be for you.
    my experience was, it felt terminating. much like choosing a spec in wow is confining and terminal.

the problem is one of education.

i.e. save this to your desktop.

it explains as much as possible in a succinct fashion without hitting NDA kneecaps or toes.

the rest of the site, not as helpful... also not as NDA clean,

but it explains choices and tactical options.

what it doesn't cover, is play style and preferences in combat for mechanics for that class. before you pick an AC, you will have a heal or a range/cc/tank ability. it won't be good or powerful, some characters are, most aren't.

it is not half as unjust as wow's spec changes are. a jedi shadow is basically on the model of a shadow priest, with range, cc, heals and an AE blast that is awesome in group pulls. even in light gear, you can AE a group, melee an off tanked NPC in a pull, heal, interrupt, and do range DPS, at the same time. that changes as you hit later levels, but it's impressive.

no character is a one trick pony in SWTOR.

it's a change of pace as well as group mentality, when fights need DPS to tank, Tanks to DPS and heal, and Healers to range DPS, etc.
    the AC starts off as a flavour, and you can build on top of it, like BC WoW used to.

for DPS it can be more of a logistic "who do i shoot and when " fight, but it's more often advantageous to pull adds out with range, cover+snipe+AE a group of incoming from the far side of the tank, and then take the new mobs to the tank, who will pull them off you if you're low on health. smaller groups are easier, and also tougher to force into things.

you will not feel penalised if you choose the wrong path. unless you had a path in mind, in which case i'd suggest, play one of each so there's no one problem and you understand the players choices better.
    Last edited by toliman; 2011-11-10 at 04:46 PM.

Marauder and Juggernaut aren't the difference between Frost and Arcane. It's the difference between Warrior and Death Knight. You want a new AC, reroll a new class.

---------- Post added 2011-11-10 at 11:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post

This is not always accurate. As an example, a Jedi Shadow/Sith Assassin plays very little, if at all, like the Consular/Inquisitor up through Level 10.

That said, if you get to Level 20 and realize you want to be something else, just level something else. It doesn't take that long to get back to 20.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by toliman View Post
    one can only hope that someone makes a video for people to understand it's not an issue and how not to bring it up.

it's right up there with these gems, all from the SWTOR forums at one point.

[snip]

decide where your query fits on this list, and reconsider.
    Well the OP is obviously calling AC's spec's by the title, and their question revolving around AC's, so I don't see it as a non-issue. But that's me. Will this become a non-issue after the launch, and everyone can experience it first hand, I believe so, thus my statement:

"I know, with the NDA in effect, finding some answers can be difficult, but once you get into the game and take it for a test run, these things will make much more sense and the confusion between spec and AC should hopefully die."

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure what is so hard for people to understand.

Advanced Class = Class
    Talent Trees = Spec

Your AC defines your available talent trees (just like picking a class), your choice where to put your points in talent trees defines your spec.

Not sure what is so hard for people to understand.

Advanced Class = Class

Talent Trees = Spec

Your AC defines your available talent trees (just like picking a class), your choice where to put your points in talent trees defines your spec.
    Exactly, I don't get why the concept eludes people even with the nda.

Its be like wow having a sorcerer type and switching between mage and warlock freely, doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by tripplebooya; 2011-11-10 at 06:57 PM.