Why is my comp being slow!?

I can't seem to figure out what is going wrong with my computer and why it is behaving so slowly. This has gone on long enough! (Ever since I bought it) Upgrading it hasn't helped any to. The only part left to upgrade is the HD

Things are very very slow to respond. I keep getting this "Not Responding" window and the spinning blue icon. If I click the window it turns white and will never work after that. If I wait and let it sit then it will work. I have scanned my computer for viruses and have found none (Doubt that there are anyhow.)
    I always keep it cleaned out so no problem there (gpu temps keep at 45c; cpu temps keep at 23c all under load)

Specs:
    Windows Vista 64x home (eww)
    2 way sli MSI GTX570 1GB GPU's (Not OC'ed)
    16GB RAM
    Q9550 CPU (Not OC'ed)
    500GB 7200 RPM Seagate HD (SATA)

So wtf is going wrong here!? Is Vista really that big of a fail or is it just my HD failing away?
    The computer doesn't freeze up, it's just slow as f**** somedays (Not all days.) Also I've switched off all the start up programs that aren't needed and that hasn't helped.
    Looking into Process Explorer shows nothing outside of the norm in programs. CPU is running at 32% idle and Disk running at 100%... I can find nothing that can be causing this to happen to.

Memtest on RAM came out clean as did other hardware diagnostics.
    -Thankyou for your help
    Last edited by Nevintsha; 2011-11-09 at 10:59 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Test the hard drive using HDDScan. You will want to run a suface read test to test for read errors. Should you find bad blocks during the read test then you will need to change your hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevintsha View Post
    CPU is running at 32% idle and Disk running at 100%..
    Are you able to take a screenshot of where you're getting this information from? 32% usage while doing -nothing- should be a concern....
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try start up event viewer and see for any critical errors

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc766401.aspx
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Are you able to take a screenshot of where you're getting this information from? 32% usage while doing -nothing- should be a concern....
    I will get one for you. The computer is still behaving very sluggish so it will take me awhile to post back!

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Test the hard drive using HDDScan. You will want to run a suface read test to test for read errors. Should you find bad blocks during the read test then you will need to change your hard drive.
    I will as soon as it speeds back up

---------- Post added 2011-11-10 at 12:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Ok, so here is a screenshot.

My old computer has this same kind of issue before and it was because i hadn't properly seated the CPU cooler on the processor. The computer was ridiculously slow and it would have absolutely nothing running. After reseating the cooler on the CPU it was amazing the difference.

On the other hand, this could entirely be software related. Do you run seperate anti virus and anti spyware programs? What programs are constantly running? If you punch go to "run" and type msconfig, what is on the startup tab?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgand View Post
    My old computer has this same kind of issue before and it was because i hadn't properly seated the CPU cooler on the processor. The computer was ridiculously slow and it would have absolutely nothing running. After reseating the cooler on the CPU it was amazing the difference.

On the other hand, this could entirely be software related. Do you run seperate anti virus and anti spyware programs? What programs are constantly running? If you punch go to "run" and type msconfig, what is on the startup tab?
    Interestingly I used to work for a Web Filter company and we'd see weird problems like this. Running 2xAV/Anti-Spyware/Filters is a very bad idea. They can get into the network stack and fight (you'll lose internet access) and they can also push up your CPU to 30% when "idle" as they scan then rescan the same things over.

I'm not saying it's the case but it's worth checking out. Also things not being seated correctly can cause a problem but if the CPU cooler isn't sitting on the processor then it won't be sitting at 20 degrees (especially when it's got 30% load). I would however strongly suggesting going back over your hardware to check that it's all sitting in right.

It's not vista. With specs like that it'll sit on 0% (I have lower specs and ran Vista for a year or so and rarely went to 1% while idle).

Also, have you done a fresh format since changing the hardware since the problems started? If so that'll rule out any software problems.

Something is wrong, because with 16 gigs of ram no fucking way your ram usage should be that high...I like the idea of multiple AV running. Check that and make sure it isn't the cause. Also open task manager and select the processes tab, then click on CPU to sort by what programs are using CPU cycles. This will go a long way to finding what specific programs are consuming cycles. Finding those will help you figure out what is possibly eating all your RAM up. I bet your disk usage is so high because Vista is scrambling around the page file while your RAM is full...