Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Good laptop for college girl?

    uses: internet, having pictures, videos, music, skype, homework, powerpoint, no gaming really
    cheap nice laptop thats good

  2. #2
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Regina, Saskatchewan
    Posts
    4,309
    Asus A53U $379.99 That would cover all of your bases. But I mean this, you can not game on this laptop. Unless we're talking Sims Online through Facebook then go to town.

  3. #3
    The Lightbringer Djinni's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    Posts
    3,767
    Any reason not to get a Tablet?
    Smaller, Lighter, More "girlie"
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-11-10 at 01:34 AM.
    Current Project :::: Virtual Private Server hosting and Modded Minecraft admin :::: http://www.refreshprojects.com/
    Fractal Design Define R4 || Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz || Thermaltake Frio Pull/Push || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X || ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO || MSI GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr II/OC || GTX 610 || Samsung 2233RZ || LG IPS236V-PN

  4. #4
    Typing/PP creation would not be too graceful on a tablet for any period of time.

    http://shop.lenovo.com/us/laptops/es.../g-series/g460

    I had the luxury of waiting for a laptop sale last year, before Xmas. I wound up getting a Lenovo G460 for $500 (they were selling for $700-750 at the time). It's just big enough that the keyboard and screen can be used for periods of time without much discomfort but light enough that it is pretty easy to carry around. As far as specs go it would be more than enough for what you say she would be using it for so you could pick a middle with less CPU power/RAM and still be in very good shape.

    A docking station (or port replicator) and a backpack designed for laptops are very nice additions for portability and ease of use. A keyboard and mouse are very nice if she will have to type a long paper....her wrists will thank you.

    https://www.google.com/search?aq=f&g...w=1366&bih=663

    She will need a backpack anyways, might as well get her one that helps protect her laptop.

    When you are all said and done you could easily get her everything she needs and a little more for less than $800 USD. If she needs it right now, it might go up a bit because you won't have the luxury of waiting for a better deal.

    PS
    Many PCs/laptops don't come bundled with PowerPoint. If she needs it for school make sure you check out Office Student Edition at the school store. Depending on your school it may be 50-70% off retail price and the student edition no longer tells you to remove it after you leave school.

  5. #5
    The Lightbringer Djinni's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    Posts
    3,767
    Quote Originally Posted by dlouhys View Post
    Typing/PP creation would not be too graceful on a tablet for any period of time.
    While true if your using it for that stuff it's not too difficult to plug in a keyboard for extended periods.

    Quote Originally Posted by dlouhys View Post
    When you are all said and done you could easily get her everything she needs and a little more for less than $800 USD. If she needs it right now, it might go up a bit because you won't have the luxury of waiting for a better deal.
    Are you actually insane?! a non-gaming laptop for $800 USD? assuming we go by the 1:1 ratio (GBP:USD) Because stuff in the US is cheaper anyway, I can easily pick up a suitable laptop for £200. ($200 USD) And that's without shopping around to see what else might be better + cheaper.

    Quote Originally Posted by dlouhys View Post
    PS
    Many PCs/laptops don't come bundled with PowerPoint. If she needs it for school make sure you check out Office Student Edition at the school store. Depending on your school it may be 50-70% off retail price and the student edition no longer tells you to remove it after you leave school.
    There are far better options, the first one being http://www.software4students.com/
    (I'm sure there are US equivalent's such as DigitalRiver, you can even pull links to student deals for MS Office from the Microsoft website.

    So first:
    Where does the OP live?
    What is the OP's budget?

    Please don't call users "insane".
    Last edited by Marest; 2011-11-10 at 01:16 PM.
    Current Project :::: Virtual Private Server hosting and Modded Minecraft admin :::: http://www.refreshprojects.com/
    Fractal Design Define R4 || Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz || Thermaltake Frio Pull/Push || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X || ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO || MSI GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr II/OC || GTX 610 || Samsung 2233RZ || LG IPS236V-PN

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    While true if your using it for that stuff it's not too difficult to plug in a keyboard for extended periods.


    Are you actually insane?! a non-gaming laptop for $800 USD? assuming we go by the 1:1 ratio (GBP:USD) Because stuff in the US is cheaper anyway, I can easily pick up a suitable laptop for £200. ($200 USD) And that's without shopping around to see what else might be better + cheaper.


    There are far better options, the first one being http://www.software4students.com/
    (I'm sure there are US equivalent's such as DigitalRiver, you can even pull links to student deals for MS Office from the Microsoft website.

    So first:
    Where does the OP live?
    What is the OP's budget?
    I'd love to see an example of a new notebook (not a netbook) for $200 USD.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - JBL S300A - FiiO E10 - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

  7. #7
    High Overlord Vat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dalaran ( at the mail box)
    Posts
    108
    I have your solution! I introduce the most effective and easy to use laptop!! yes it might be a little heavy but the quality is superb!
    no need to thanks me! just happy to help

    <SNIP>

    Infracted.
    Last edited by Marest; 2011-11-10 at 01:15 PM.
    Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate.
    This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

  8. #8
    Pit Lord Gerbert the's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hooterville
    Posts
    2,261
    Keep it civil please, there are ladies present. Please just help the girl get a girl laptop.
    "【A Chinese viewpoint on the new version:MOP】
    since we have lived in a world filled with magic and beast and lots of culture,so it is reasonable to let all kinds of culture come into World of Warcraft
    Orc:black people Jazz
    Gorblin:Israel Jews (No offensive,Gorblins are good at making money,that's ture in my eyes)"

  9. #9
    The Lightbringer Djinni's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    Posts
    3,767
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I'd love to see an example of a new notebook (not a netbook) for $200 USD.
    First pray tell, why does it have to be a notebook and not a netbook? Homework typically does not require a large screen.
    Second, any reason it has to be brand new and not a refurb?
    Anyway:

    Deal1 (UK)
    http://www.cclonline.com/product/634...ok-PC/NOT2530/

    Deal 2 (US)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...E&Pagesize=100


    And for a list of possible places/sites check:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/912692?p=11640486 - Where to buy Components / PC's / Laptops
    Current Project :::: Virtual Private Server hosting and Modded Minecraft admin :::: http://www.refreshprojects.com/
    Fractal Design Define R4 || Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz || Thermaltake Frio Pull/Push || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X || ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO || MSI GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr II/OC || GTX 610 || Samsung 2233RZ || LG IPS236V-PN

  10. #10
    College girl? Make sure it has a webcam <SNIP>

    Infracted.
    Last edited by Marest; 2011-11-10 at 01:24 PM.

  11. #11
    I still dont quite understand why you felt the need to add college girl?
    I don't add gay male to any of my posts. You might aswell of added ''Attention now plix''

    Please don't post just to troll or derail threads. It's pretty clear the OP just wanted help picking a laptop for college.
    Last edited by Marest; 2011-11-10 at 01:24 PM.

    A big thank you to Geekissexy for the sig

  12. #12
    The Lightbringer Djinni's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    Posts
    3,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Milano View Post
    I still dont quite understand why you felt the need to add college girl?
    I don't add gay male to any of my posts. You might aswell of added ''Attention now plix''
    Tells you the level of "educational homework" and the need for it to be light and pink.

    College tells us it's not likely to be very demanding homework (on the computer anyway),
    Powerpoint tells us it's likely a business, teaching or arts (Maybe gym or sports?) based course, so she's likely to be doing stuff on the move (on the train, in the car etc...) also unlikely to be running AutoCAD or Intensive design.
    Lack of mentioning Photoshop or something similar says the machine still fits the bill described by the above two points, so leaning more towards a business management type course.
    Girl tells us ideally it needs to be "handbag" size, so she doesn't have to lump it around everywhere in such a way it feels like a burden, more like a mobile phone.
    Lack of a budget, means she probably hasn't thought about it too much, and Non-gaming IS mentioned, so probably a dedicated student, possibly career orientated, likely gets A+ - B grades, probably doesn't get into the IT world too much, so light usage.
    Storing Photos, Videos and Music mentioned with a request for a laptop, so she probably wants to share them with friends at college, or watch/listen them on the train etc...


    Therefore I come to my logical conclusion that a Tablet would be better suited for the requirements.
    (feedback on how close or far off I am from the OP would awesome ;-)
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-11-10 at 01:57 PM.
    Current Project :::: Virtual Private Server hosting and Modded Minecraft admin :::: http://www.refreshprojects.com/
    Fractal Design Define R4 || Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz || Thermaltake Frio Pull/Push || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X || ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO || MSI GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr II/OC || GTX 610 || Samsung 2233RZ || LG IPS236V-PN

  13. #13
    The Patient Azome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by Milano View Post
    I still dont quite understand why you felt the need to add college girl?
    I don't add gay male to any of my posts. You might aswell of added ''Attention now plix''
    Relax a bit eh?

    On topic: You say "cheap" and doesn't make a budget so i'll just go ahead and say - Macbook Air 13" all you'll ever need, maybe a harddrive to go with that because it doesn't have alot of space but school work wouldn't fill it up if that's the only thing you going to do.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Milano View Post
    I still dont quite understand why you felt the need to add college girl?
    I don't add gay male to any of my posts. You might aswell of added ''Attention now plix''
    Yeah that caught my attention too. Don't like what it hints at tbh.

    As for the topic: Macbook Air 13inch. Light, modern, easy to handle and stylish. Haters gonna hate.

  15. #15
    Legendary! vindicatorx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    6,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Any reason not to get a Tablet?
    Smaller, Lighter, More "girlie"
    I would assume she plans on typing out reports and such. Why would she want a tablet?

  16. #16
    Pit Lord alms1407's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Any reason not to get a Tablet?
    Smaller, Lighter, More "girlie"
    How are tablets more 'girlie'? lol

    I see a lot of students using the latest Ipad to take down notes from my slides.

    ~Signature made by Resentful~

  17. #17
    http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_PC/Eee_P...specifications

    I bought this for my sister. You can even play games on it. $500

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Tells you the level of "educational homework" and the need for it to be light and pink.

    College tells us it's not likely to be very demanding homework (on the computer anyway),
    Powerpoint tells us it's likely a business, teaching or arts based course, so she's likely to be doing stuff on the move (on the train, in the car etc...) also unlikely to be running AutoCAD or Intensive design.
    Lack of mentioning Photoshop or something similar says the machine still fits the bill described by the above two points, so leaning more towards a business management type course.
    Girl tells us ideally it needs to be "handbag" size, so she doesn't have to lump it around everywhere in such a way it feels like a burden, more like a mobile phone.
    Lack of a budget, means she probably hasn't thought about it too much, and Non-gaming IS mentioned, so probably a dedicated student, possibly career orientated, likely gets A+ - B grades, probably doesn't get into the IT world too much, so light usage.
    Storing Photos, Videos and Music mentioned with a request for a laptop, so she probably wants to share them with friends at college, or watch/listen them on the train etc...


    Therefore I come to my logical conclusion that a Tablet would be better suited for the requirements.
    (feedback on how close or far off I am from the OP would awesome ;-)
    Way to actually interpret the post rather than inserting your distorted world views on it.

    OT: Any cheap laptop will do for those tasks, 13" is often a good size.

    Sony VAIOs are often good-looking and suitable for anything a student would need besides gaming.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834127522 for example

    Mod Edit: Don't call out or post just to flame users. And don't remove mod-edits.
    Last edited by Marest; 2011-11-10 at 01:47 PM.

  19. #19
    Really does not matter what type of laptop you get as even the cheapest thing on the market will handle what you want it to do.

    I do however urge you to stay away from netbooks/tablets as computers break from time to time so in general having a computer that lacks a built in cd drive is just a bad idea.

  20. #20
    Fluffy Kitten Marest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,228
    People, enough is enough. If you don't plan to be helpful then simply don't post. Keep it civil.

    It should be clear to anyone that the OP is looking for assistance in picking a laptop for a college student.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •