Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Good laptop for college girl?

uses: internet, having pictures, videos, music, skype, homework, powerpoint, no gaming really
    cheap nice laptop thats good

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Asus A53U $379.99 That would cover all of your bases. But I mean this, you can not game on this laptop. Unless we're talking Sims Online through Facebook then go to town.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any reason not to get a Tablet?
    Smaller, Lighter, More "girlie"
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-11-10 at 01:34 AM.

Typing/PP creation would not be too graceful on a tablet for any period of time.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/laptops/es.../g-series/g460

I had the luxury of waiting for a laptop sale last year, before Xmas. I wound up getting a Lenovo G460 for $500 (they were selling for $700-750 at the time). It's just big enough that the keyboard and screen can be used for periods of time without much discomfort but light enough that it is pretty easy to carry around. As far as specs go it would be more than enough for what you say she would be using it for so you could pick a middle with less CPU power/RAM and still be in very good shape.

A docking station (or port replicator) and a backpack designed for laptops are very nice additions for portability and ease of use. A keyboard and mouse are very nice if she will have to type a long paper....her wrists will thank you.

https://www.google.com/search?aq=f&g...w=1366&bih=663

She will need a backpack anyways, might as well get her one that helps protect her laptop.

When you are all said and done you could easily get her everything she needs and a little more for less than $800 USD. If she needs it right now, it might go up a bit because you won't have the luxury of waiting for a better deal.

PS
    Many PCs/laptops don't come bundled with PowerPoint. If she needs it for school make sure you check out Office Student Edition at the school store. Depending on your school it may be 50-70% off retail price and the student edition no longer tells you to remove it after you leave school.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dlouhys View Post
    Typing/PP creation would not be too graceful on a tablet for any period of time.
    While true if your using it for that stuff it's not too difficult to plug in a keyboard for extended periods.

When you are all said and done you could easily get her everything she needs and a little more for less than $800 USD. If she needs it right now, it might go up a bit because you won't have the luxury of waiting for a better deal.
    Are you actually insane?! a non-gaming laptop for $800 USD? assuming we go by the 1:1 ratio (GBP:USD) Because stuff in the US is cheaper anyway, I can easily pick up a suitable laptop for £200. ($200 USD) And that's without shopping around to see what else might be better + cheaper.

PS
    Many PCs/laptops don't come bundled with PowerPoint. If she needs it for school make sure you check out Office Student Edition at the school store. Depending on your school it may be 50-70% off retail price and the student edition no longer tells you to remove it after you leave school.
    There are far better options, the first one being http://www.software4students.com/
    (I'm sure there are US equivalent's such as DigitalRiver, you can even pull links to student deals for MS Office from the Microsoft website.

So first:
    Where does the OP live?
    What is the OP's budget?

Please don't call users "insane".
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-11-10 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    While true if your using it for that stuff it's not too difficult to plug in a keyboard for extended periods.

Are you actually insane?! a non-gaming laptop for $800 USD? assuming we go by the 1:1 ratio (GBP:USD) Because stuff in the US is cheaper anyway, I can easily pick up a suitable laptop for £200. ($200 USD) And that's without shopping around to see what else might be better + cheaper.

There are far better options, the first one being http://www.software4students.com/
    (I'm sure there are US equivalent's such as DigitalRiver, you can even pull links to student deals for MS Office from the Microsoft website.

So first:
    Where does the OP live?
    What is the OP's budget?
    I'd love to see an example of a new notebook (not a netbook) for $200 USD.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    I have your solution! I introduce the most effective and easy to use laptop!! yes it might be a little heavy but the quality is superb!
    no need to thanks me! just happy to help

<SNIP>

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-11-10 at 01:15 PM.

Keep it civil please, there are ladies present. Please just help the girl get a girl laptop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I'd love to see an example of a new notebook (not a netbook) for $200 USD.
    First pray tell, why does it have to be a notebook and not a netbook? Homework typically does not require a large screen.
    Second, any reason it has to be brand new and not a refurb?
    Anyway:

Deal1 (UK)
    http://www.cclonline.com/product/634...ok-PC/NOT2530/

Deal 2 (US)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...E&Pagesize=100

And for a list of possible places/sites check:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/912692?p=11640486 - Where to buy Components / PC's / Laptops

College girl? Make sure it has a webcam <SNIP>

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-11-10 at 01:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Deleted
    I still dont quite understand why you felt the need to add college girl?
    I don't add gay male to any of my posts. You might aswell of added ''Attention now plix''

Please don't post just to troll or derail threads. It's pretty clear the OP just wanted help picking a laptop for college.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-11-10 at 01:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milano View Post
    I don't add gay male to any of my posts. You might aswell of added ''Attention now plix''
    Tells you the level of "educational homework" and the need for it to be light and pink.

College tells us it's not likely to be very demanding homework (on the computer anyway),
    Powerpoint tells us it's likely a business, teaching or arts (Maybe gym or sports?) based course, so she's likely to be doing stuff on the move (on the train, in the car etc...) also unlikely to be running AutoCAD or Intensive design.
    Lack of mentioning Photoshop or something similar says the machine still fits the bill described by the above two points, so leaning more towards a business management type course.
    Girl tells us ideally it needs to be "handbag" size, so she doesn't have to lump it around everywhere in such a way it feels like a burden, more like a mobile phone.
    Lack of a budget, means she probably hasn't thought about it too much, and Non-gaming IS mentioned, so probably a dedicated student, possibly career orientated, likely gets A+ - B grades, probably doesn't get into the IT world too much, so light usage.
    Storing Photos, Videos and Music mentioned with a request for a laptop, so she probably wants to share them with friends at college, or watch/listen them on the train etc...

Therefore I come to my logical conclusion that a Tablet would be better suited for the requirements.
    (feedback on how close or far off I am from the OP would awesome ;-)
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-11-10 at 01:57 PM.

Deleted
    Relax a bit eh?

On topic: You say "cheap" and doesn't make a budget so i'll just go ahead and say - Macbook Air 13" all you'll ever need, maybe a harddrive to go with that because it doesn't have alot of space but school work wouldn't fill it up if that's the only thing you going to do.

Deleted
    Yeah that caught my attention too. Don't like what it hints at tbh.

As for the topic: Macbook Air 13inch. Light, modern, easy to handle and stylish. Haters gonna hate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I would assume she plans on typing out reports and such. Why would she want a tablet?

How are tablets more 'girlie'? lol

I see a lot of students using the latest Ipad to take down notes from my slides.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_PC/Eee_P...specifications

I bought this for my sister. You can even play games on it. $500

Deleted
    Tells you the level of "educational homework" and the need for it to be light and pink.

College tells us it's not likely to be very demanding homework (on the computer anyway),
    Powerpoint tells us it's likely a business, teaching or arts based course, so she's likely to be doing stuff on the move (on the train, in the car etc...) also unlikely to be running AutoCAD or Intensive design.
    Lack of mentioning Photoshop or something similar says the machine still fits the bill described by the above two points, so leaning more towards a business management type course.
    Girl tells us ideally it needs to be "handbag" size, so she doesn't have to lump it around everywhere in such a way it feels like a burden, more like a mobile phone.
    Lack of a budget, means she probably hasn't thought about it too much, and Non-gaming IS mentioned, so probably a dedicated student, possibly career orientated, likely gets A+ - B grades, probably doesn't get into the IT world too much, so light usage.
    Storing Photos, Videos and Music mentioned with a request for a laptop, so she probably wants to share them with friends at college, or watch/listen them on the train etc...

Therefore I come to my logical conclusion that a Tablet would be better suited for the requirements.
    (feedback on how close or far off I am from the OP would awesome ;-)
    Way to actually interpret the post rather than inserting your distorted world views on it.

OT: Any cheap laptop will do for those tasks, 13" is often a good size.

Sony VAIOs are often good-looking and suitable for anything a student would need besides gaming.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834127522 for example

Mod Edit: Don't call out or post just to flame users. And don't remove mod-edits.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-11-10 at 01:47 PM.

Really does not matter what type of laptop you get as even the cheapest thing on the market will handle what you want it to do.

I do however urge you to stay away from netbooks/tablets as computers break from time to time so in general having a computer that lacks a built in cd drive is just a bad idea.

Deleted
    People, enough is enough. If you don't plan to be helpful then simply don't post. Keep it civil.

It should be clear to anyone that the OP is looking for assistance in picking a laptop for a college student.