Thread: Mind Sear

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Mind Sear

So, who didn't know, before today's blue posts, that you could center Mind Sear on non-mob characters? AoE dps is going to be SO much more fun now!

/focus tank
    /use [@focus] Mind Sear
    /WIN!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Im sure there are people out there that did not know...however... prior to the dmg of MS hitting your target (unless CC'd) MSing the tank was the 'good' choice option. That said, I personally still use it on tanks when i feel less urgy to actually target something, or whoever is in range (mages on Alysrazor)

That has been out for quite a while.. since maybe 2 patches ago..4.0.6 perhaps...

Anyway whether or not MS hits your target (ie the target which you cast MS on), casting it on the tank still remains to be the best option in general.

Also make sure you have ES buff active if you can. Boosts MS damage

Quote Originally Posted by hksin11186 View Post
    So, who didn't know, before today's blue posts, that you could center Mind Sear on non-mob characters? AoE dps is going to be SO much more fun now!

/focus tank
    /use [@focus] Mind Sear
    /WIN!
    Has been in-game for quite a while now.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

That mechanic has been around since Mind Sear has been available AFAIK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinagami091 View Post
    That mechanic has been around since Mind Sear has been available AFAIK.
    Nope, was introduced with the Cata patch at the end of WotLK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaga View Post
    Mages are balanced. It's just that they aren't balanced for Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by hksin11186 View Post

/focus tank
    /use [@focus] Mind Sear
    /WIN!
    I wont belabor the point, but I find this "discovery" insipid yet illustrative of the common denominator of intelligence I deal with every time I want to pve and/or pvp. Par for course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beav View Post
    Also make sure you have ES buff active if you can. Boosts MS damage
    what he said, also remember to keep up 5 stacks of evangelism as well
    Priest? What do you mean i'm a priest?
    I have dots, a pet and i can turn into a dark purple form with wings, i'm obviously a warlock!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it was introduced with 4.1 actually. Since I remember struggling with it on AoE in 4.03 :\
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    The amount of times I have told the spriest in LFG pugs and raid pugs to target the tank when aoeing because he stupidly targets the skull as his mind sear target is just ridiculous, and then they tell me "it's not possible, mind sear doesn't work like that".

/palm

While I was leveling my prot warr the other months, almost none of the priests I met were aware of this. And I'd tell them "use MS on me, it's more efficient". And they were like :O . I was happy I could contribute to their knowledge :P

I was helping a friend in normal dungeons the other day and the tank actually yell'd at me to stop targeting MS on him because it was going to kill him...

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    my first thing i did when i learned MS on my priest alt, bind it to right mouse on clique best thing ever

I've had players tell me I'm bad because I won't target mobs and if I'm not contributing to the group I need to be kicked.

And then I post the parse where I am doing 40-50% of the entire damage in the group.

/silence

While targeting the tank is a better option it really doesn't matter if you target an enemy mob instead since Mind Sear do deal damage to the target aswell (which it didn't before) plus the other ones around it. But if you've followed news posts and watched video kills of bosses it's kind of hard to miss the information that you can use Mind Sear to target a friendly mob. i.e. Paragon, on the ragnaros hc fight, used their shadow priests to channel Mind Sear on the pets near the seeds on the seed phases, to deal damage right when they pop up and I'm sure many other guilds have done the same.

But yea, thank you Blizzard for giving the option to target friendly mobs/players/npcs with mind sear. ^^
    Last edited by Ozziee; 2011-11-10 at 12:57 PM.

Deleted

Why

I always thought the reason to target MS on the tank was mainly because otherwise if the mob you're focused on dies dies you have to re-target and recast... Which if done 3/4 times on a big pull is a significant dps loss and waste of mana

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtbotqq View Post
    I wont belabor the point, but I find this "discovery" insipid yet illustrative of the common denominator of intelligence I deal with every time I want to pve and/or pvp. Par for course.
    Begging your Majesty's pardon for expressing joy at finding a quirk on a spell gained late in the game on the 9th class I leveled.

Edit: I'm generally familiar with the typical "how to play" tips. Thanks, everyone, for the useful information though.
    Last edited by RaoBurning; 2011-11-10 at 01:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.