Thread: Late Homework

Late Homework

This has always been a little thing that bugs me even though I know I must be wrong because the rest of the world accepts it. The question is why do schools enforce such a negative effect for late Homework. Hopefully I explain myself well enough.

For example (not me) A student forgets he has a math assignment due one day and receives a 0, F- for it. What does that F represent? Its supposed to mean that this certain student is lacking greatly in this subject. But what does it actually mean in this case? It means it slipped the students mind, or he forgot it in his car, or his dog ate it. None of those reasons actually show that the student is bad at math, just that bad things happen. Why does this person deserve a 0 (when he could of easily gotten an A if he did it) when another student who has no clue on the subject at least gets a 65? Shouldn't your math grade represent your math skill and nothing else?

well, since nothing was delivered to the teacher, he showed nothing for the teacher.
    the teacher cant base his grades on nothing but old assignments, but i get what you mean.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Deleted
    Not at all.. part of the exercise of homework is training the students for a thing like deadlines wich you will undeniably be subjected to in every aspect of adult life. The kids need to be picked up on time, your mortgage needs to be on time, your boss needs a certain project on time - all of these things have serious repercussions if they're not done.

It doesn't mean that I'm bad at my job if my boss won't get his project on time.. just means that my dog ate it. And I'm sure the bank cares that "it just slipped my mind" and someone definitely won't call CPS if I forget my kids in the car..

You just get a F for that assignment. Obviously that assignment is part of a points system. if you gave everybody a 65 then why would you even do your homework if you can do nothing and still get a D

wait till you get to uni, you only get a certain percentage taken off your mark each day it is late

Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    Not at all.. part of the exercise of homework is training the students for a thing like deadlines wich you will undeniably be subjected to in every aspect of adult life. The kids need to be picked up on time, your mortgage needs to be on time, your boss needs a certain project on time - all of these things have serious repercussions if they're not done.

It doesn't mean that I'm bad at my job if my boss won't get his project on time.. just means that my dog ate it. And I'm sure the bank cares that "it just slipped my mind" and someone definitely won't call CPS if I forget my kids in the car..

Well a work place can have an opposite view that you school takes. Often doing a crappy job on the Johnson account is treated much worse then saying, my fault I forgot, I'll get it to you tommorrow.(how often does that actually happen instead of making up an excuse) The crappy job would of earned you a 65 while the other earns you a 0.

I hate homework... why do i gotta friggin turn a sheet of paper saying a learned something at home what teachers are supposed to do at school...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedOne View Post
    wait till you get to uni, you only get a certain percentage taken off your mark each day it is late
    This is not true. This is highly dependent on the teacher/ department/ school. I had many in my days that would flat out refuse to take late work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol at all the kids. I remember those belly aching days of doing stats and English assignments at home.

Don't fight it, just do it. Your boss when you're older probably wont accept lateness, so just get into a deadline mindset now and you'll be better off. Sometimes, things do slip your mind. But, one 0 on one assignment isn't going to flunk you. So, learn from it.

Do your studies. Don't be an idiot.

A good amount of professors, at least at UCLA, let you turn in late homework for partial credit. I guess they understand that sometimes it slips your mind. The thing is, where do you really draw the line when it comes to late homework? If you're saying that students shouldn't get penalized for not being responsible, how should you hold them accountable? Get rid of homework in general? While homework can be a flawed system, it does help some people learn.

Deleted
    deadlines in school is just a prepration for real life deadlines.

"do english assignment, hand in at X"
    "do report on our economical situation, hand in before big meeting"

some things are time critical and if you get into the habit of doing things on time it will be easier in the future to keep doing so.

another thing to keep in mind is that the person correcting the assignment has limited time as well, a teacher can't exactly "correct 40 papers ANYTIME because they got nothing else to do in their life...".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    Well a work place can have an opposite view that you school takes. Often doing a crappy job on the Johnson account is treated much worse then saying, my fault I forgot, I'll get it to you tommorrow.(how often does that actually happen instead of making up an excuse) The crappy job would of earned you a 65 while the other earns you a 0.
    BAHAHA! If you showed up without the paperwork for a client in my office, you would be showing up the next day to collect your personal belongings.

Deleted
    Lateness is hugely irritating for teachers, it slows down our planning and interferes with our schedules. There has to be a punishment for missing deadlines and a big fat 0% is the most effective one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    Then I want to work where you work. :| Not saying it's otherwise acceptable doing a crappy job, but not delivering at all is a whole lot worse. For instance, I work as a translator among other things. If I don't deliver my work on time some website won't be able to go live and my boss will have customers breathing down his neck and I'll have him breathing down my neck in turn. In my case it is a lot better to hand off a 90% job and edit it later than leaving companies waiting to go live. We all have people to answer to. Someone answers to me, I answer to my boss and he answers to his, who answers to the customers. If someone doesn't deliver, things are postponed and customers generally don't like that.
    Last edited by mmoc494ea71a08; 2011-11-10 at 09:09 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's meant to teach you responsibility. In life, you have deadlines to meet. Work, bills, appointments etc. You don't get to pick and choose when you complete real life tasks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    Lateness is hugely irritating for teachers, it slows down our planning and interferes with our schedules. There has to be a punishment for missing deadlines and a big fat 0% is the most effective one.
    Back in uni one of our professors told us that our final grade was based on an average of our hand-ins. Seeing as we only had a handfull of those, missing one quickly became something you'd want to avoid if you wanted anything above scraping by. Don't recall anyone missing any of his assignments..