Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

HELP! Girlfriend's computer has virus (privacy protection).

As title says, my girlfriend's computer had a thing called "privacy protection" pop up randomly tonight that appears to be a shitty virus. It is preventing us from connecting to the internet or even opening browsers on her computer. I am wondering if anyone can help me get rid of this for her.

What I have done:

Booted in safe mode with networking.

Downloaded Malwarebytes via usb drive.

Ran Malwarebytes (it couldn't update due to lack of net connection and didn't detect anything)

Also downloaded Rkill via usb drive (also didn't install in safe mode, I am going to try in normal mode)

Please help

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, i had this exact same virus about 2 days ago. Simple solution is to turn your computer on in Safe mode with networking. Then simply search for system tools, then go to system restore, once there just put your computer back in time to it's last saved state which will probably be about a week ago, then restart and it should all be fine.

Hope that helped =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks going to try this. Hopefully it works. If it does I'm gonna download avg and all that jazz so she doesn't get it again.

edit: Just and update, this seems to have worked so far. I'll know better once I have an anti-virus installed and can scan her comp.
    Last edited by Jaxxs; 2011-11-10 at 10:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't waste your time with silly programs that don't work - get Avast!

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.pcthreat.com/parasitebyid-20961en.html

Just realised the url was in German and changed it to the English version. Anyway, there are some manual steps on the page you can attempt if it is indeed this program (it sounds very similar to what you're describing). The site recommends safe mode and removing various files connected to the malware, i.e. registry hooks and appdata.
    Last edited by Ratyrel; 2011-11-10 at 10:25 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lukyl View Post
    Hey, i had this exact same virus about 2 days ago. Simple solution is to turn your computer on in Safe mode with networking. Then simply search for system tools, then go to system restore, once there just put your computer back in time to it's last saved state which will probably be about a week ago, then restart and it should all be fine.

Hope that helped =)
    This should work 100%.

Though, if it doesn't, i suggest running it in normal mode, trying malwarebytes, if that doesn't work out, simply google the virus and you will end up finding atleast 1 successful way of removing the virus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imoldgregg View Post
    Don't waste your time with silly programs that don't work - get Avast!
    is Avast better than AVG?

Get Microsoft Security Essentials, its the best virus protection out there according to a lot of people. Totally free as long as you have a genuine copy of windows.

A free anti virus that is very good is; Spybot Search and Destroy.
    I use it myself, and are pleased with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks i'll look into MSSE.

Deleted
    i use avast and spybot search and destroy to protect my comp, running both of them i havent had any problems with getting affected by virus'.

Quote Originally Posted by MorphexEU View Post
    A free anti virus that is very good is; Spybot Search and Destroy.
    I use it myself, and are pleased with it.
    I believe Spybot S&D is anti-spyware/adware, not anti-virus. You should have a anti-virus program in addition to Spybot S&D.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calz View Post
    I believe Spybot S&D is anti-spyware/adware, not anti-virus. You should have a anti-virus program in addition to Spybot S&D.
    *Enter Anti-virus* + Spybot S&D + Malwarebytes is what you should have for protection.

Format C:\ and start all over again

Teach GF to stop clicking on ads, remove IE, use ANY other browser, install an ad block addon to the browser, no script too, looks like she needs her hands held while browsing

for AV and all that jazz, MSE does it all and it's free.

From what I've seen, MSE's detection rate isn't that good. People love it for some reason, even though they'd be better protected with AVG or Avast!.

What you have is ransomware that uses a rootkit virus, likely one of the zeroaccess variety. Read the blog I've linked below. Make sure you read the comments as well.

http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/20...uninstall.html

Hopefully that works for you. Unfortunately since it's rootkit, your best course of action is probably booting to safe mode, backing up your important files, and then doing a full reinstall of the OS. Rootkits are designed to hide themselves and block/disable all of the antivirus/malware applications that people have listed above, rendering them ineffective. They can still be removed with a lot of work, but then there is the issue of time. You'll likely spend way too much time trying to get rid of them, only to NOT be 100% sure they are completely removed, when a reinstall will take you less than an hour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately the best way to deal with a virus is to not get one in the first place. Like Dizey said its likely a huge time saver if you just back up your important files on an external hard drive or dvds/bluray/flashdrive, format and re-install. I have dealt with viruses like your describing before and the problem with removing them is you end up having to edit the registry and dig them out of protected OS files and even then you can never be 100% sure that they didnt dig themselves in somewhere else.

Re-install and get yourself a pro anti-virus like avast, spybot search and destroy, and malwarebytes. I would enable teatimer in spybot and keep active protection running 24/7, chances are if your girlfriend got a virus in the first place she is not the smartest browser so set all the programs up yourself and set them to run autoscans at least once a week and inform her what the windows look like when the scans will run and to just click fix all problems if asked.
    Farewell WoW Pandaland
    Intel i5 2.67 OC 3.3ghz | ATI 6950 850mhz OC 920Stable 950 Push 1000Insane

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    Quote Originally Posted by z0phi3l View Post
    Format C:\ and start all over again

Teach GF to stop clicking on ads, remove IE, use ANY other browser, install an ad block addon to the browser, no script too, looks like she needs her hands held while browsing

for AV and all that jazz, MSE does it all and it's free.
    Dude, even though that is true, no need to be an asshole to someone asking for help.

I did chuckle at "format C:/" though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
    Dude, even though that is true, no need to be an asshole to someone asking for help.

I did chuckle at "format C:/" though.
    I don't think he was being an asshole per se. Was he dry? Sure. As an IT second level tech myself, I tend to facepalm at obvious computer misuse. But he wasn't being an asshole outright.

Sometimes, when it comes to IT, being a carebear with your loved ones will lead them to disregarding your advice because you can come back to fix it again. However, when you make sure that they see how stupid they've been in doing this or that, they'll remember and they won't embarass themselves like that again.

Family tech support is hell when you're a nice guy. When you're dry about it, they listen.

Just do a OS reinstall.