Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

Is it against the rules to go AFK in the middle of a dungeon?

Hello.

Over the last 7 months I've seen a lot of alts joining heroic dungeons with their freshly-bought PvP gear just to meet the ilvl requirements. Am I the only one who gets pissed off when I see people doing that?

Honestly, when I have an alt and it's 85, I gear it up through epic BoE's and blues (with PvE stats) before queue'ing up. Ontop of that, during my leveling period I've actually learned my rotation, thus I'm not performing poorly either once I get in.

What I see nowadays is people gearing up with PvP gear - some even has JP gear - while performing like a 12-year old. They are hardly doing above 10k DPS and in worst case scenario, they don't know tactics either for the encounters in the specific dungeon. Is this alright?

I don't think it is. I don't queue for a HC dungeon to carry 1-4 players - I queue for a dungeon to get my VP / Satchel / Chaos Orb while having fun at the same time. Sometimes however, it's just impossible to actually complete the dungeon or it's just taking forever and the kick button wont always allow me to kick enough players, nor does the majority always agree with my opinion (i.e. if it's a premade).

So what I do in those situations is that I go AFK and hopefully they'll all end up leaving. Sometimes they can kick me and sometimes they can't. If they can't. they report me or leave. So my question is: Can I get banned for it?

On a side note, I really think that Blizzard should add some sort of ilvl-balance in dungeons. Like if you're 329 ilvl, you'll get a group with about the same ilvl as you. It's harsh, but that's how we others did it back in the Cataclysm release. It would also force people to go and do normal dungeons (to get PvE gear rather than PvP gear) and it would make us - who's been gearing up our mains / alts for a long time - enjoy our dungeons more without the sort of preassure / frustrations that's put upon us.
    Last edited by mmoc861630b21f; 2011-11-10 at 01:46 PM.

To answer the one question in this wall of rant: no, you can't.

Deleted
    Not that I'm aware of you can get kicked or kick them, not banned.

Against any rules? It might be considered a form of harassment, since you're holding the progression of the dungeon hostage to your own whims, instead of dropping group and re-queueing in hopes of getting people more to your liking.

Is it a dick move? Completely. I've been screwed over so many times while trying to gear up an alt by 2 guildies who pulled this shit, it's not even funny.
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nurabsal View Post
    on an aside, i think Bane Falcon might be my hero
    2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.

I've never heard of anyone being banned or received a warning for going afk in a dungeon, so I believe it is allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Yelling at the leaky gas tank is much less effective than patching it up.

Apparently not, but purposefully going AFK to get someone else to leave or because you don't believe in what the group is doing should. I had a tank do it, because all 4 of the normal dungeon members wanted to kill an optional boss. He HS and AFK'd. Luckily I could kick him in that instance. But in any case, if someone is purposefully stopping the group from continuing by not participating, action should be taken against him.

- If someone is a problem to the group, he should be removed.
    - If you think someone is a problem, but not enough of the group agrees, then you should leave.
    - If the entire group wants someone gone and cannot kick him, then that is a problem with the system, which I believe does exist for some players, but not in the case you presented.

Personally I try to teach these players and treat it as a challenge to compensate for their poor gear, if I get into the situation you describe. If I can't make it work, I explain to the group calmly why I do not think the group will make it through the dungeon and back out.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

Deleted
    For every (at least the most!) classes 371 pvp gear is better than 330 blue gear .. and 329 is the itemlevel needed. For several classes 371 pvp gear is even better then 346 stuff.

Not the question to your answer? - Right, but the answer to the question you should have asked.

I will not start the diskussion about "Many ppl doing more dmg/healing better in bad gear, then several in good gear."

15+ Year Old Account
    Well yes and no. Yes, you can be banned if Blizzard receives enough reports of a repeating pattern as you are hindering the play experience of other players intentionally. The no is that in most situations, players will just leave group and complain to their guild about you. I'd really recommend against afking. I tank a lot of dungeons and don't come across many bad players, but really the amount of bad players in a dungeon is dwarfed by the amount of OK or great ones. I've tanked 14 dungeons over the last 2 weeks on my paladin. Over those 14 dungeons, only 1 was bad enough that I dropped group. One other had a DK that kept trying to be the tank (Deathgripped like it was part of his rotation). Another dungeon also had one hunter that kept running ahead and pulling (not even using misdirect). So I got out of that first terrible group, and I replaced the bad players in the others.

I don't support the ilvl cheaters who hold a bunch of gear they can't use in their bag or buy full Bloodthirsty so they can jump right in to trolls, but if that full PVP geared player is CCing when they are suppose to, killing my target, and pulling more dps than I do as a tank, they are welcome to stay until the end of the dungeon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oex View Post
    For every (at least the most!) classes 371 pvp gear is better than 330 blue gear .. and 329 is the itemlevel needed. For several classes 371 pvp gear is even better then 346 stuff.

Not the question to your answer? - Right, but the answer to the question you should have asked.

I will not start the diskussion about "Many ppl doing more dmg/healing better in bad gear, then several in good gear."
    What I meant with PvP gear is the blue shizzle from crafting.

Although, epic quality PvP gear doesn't exactly make things any better.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you are stopping the group from progressing on purpose then its bannable yes.
    So if u say in chat: Because I hate you all im going to pretend im afk and wait till you all leave. Its bannable yes. Otherwise they cannot check if ur afk really or not.
    Also depends on how often it happeneds.
    video game companies: *makes game with female/LGBT characters*

dudebros: wHAT HTe fUCK IS THSI SOCIAL ,.JUSITICE SHI.,,T,,...,.I canNOT,, BELEIVVB nnOT BYINHG...,

10+ Year Old Account
    Full crafted blues is more than enough for heroics, as is 10k DPS. Why are you assuming 12 year olds are bad? Not everyone wants to drop cash on BoE blues/epics before just running dungeons for the same quality of free gear.

The purchased PvP gear is in most cases better simply because the large amount of primary stats.

Stop crying, going AFK makes you an ass and will eventually get you in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by UnCorpse View Post
    It is common courtesy to say BRB, or even leave group if you are taking a while.
    He doesn't AFK because something came up... he AFKs because he's trying to fuck with the rest of the people who also just want to get the run over with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotfix View Post
    What I meant with PvP gear is the blue shizzle from crafting.

Although, epic quality PvP gear doesn't exactly make things any better.
    Both my Hunter and my Rogue used Crafted 358 PvP shoulders and helms while I ran them through their first dungeons. And in most of the runs, unless I ran across someone fully Firelands-geared, I ended up pulling either top DPS or a close second. But, again, I've been screwed over more often than not by people like you, because there's a fail healer and a fail DPS that need to be carried, and instead of using a /votekick on one of them to improve the run, we have to waste it on the one douche who can actually pull his own weight before he hearthed out and started trolling us from Stormwind. If we even COULD kick him.
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.

Deleted
    Grow up and just drop the group? Going AFK may not be against the rules but think about if those people report you for harassment enough times, because that's what you're doing. So as a result you may get banned or get a warning, I'm not 100% sure though, as I don't do that sort of crap myself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakatashi View Post
    Full crafted blues is more than enough for heroics, as is 10k DPS. Why are you assuming 12 year olds are bad? Not everyone wants to drop cash on BoE blues/epics before just running dungeons for the same quality of free gear.

The purchased PvP gear is in most cases better simply because the large amount of primary stats.

Stop crying, going AFK makes you an ass and will eventually get you in trouble.
    10k DPS in a Zul'aman or Zul'gurub is pathetic. Especially when you can do above 15k DPS in 346 gear regardless of which DPS spec you're using.

I just don't fancy carrying people, that's all. I'm at the stage where I could do those heroics with my eyes closed, so why shouldn't I get a group with the same quality as me?

Quote Originally Posted by Bane Falcon View Post
    He doesn't AFK because something came up... he AFKs because he's trying to fuck with the rest of the people who also just want to get the run over with.

Both my Hunter and my Rogue used Crafted 358 PvP shoulders and helms while I ran them through their first dungeons. And in most of the runs, unless I ran across someone fully Firelands-geared, I ended up pulling either top DPS or a close second. But, again, I've been screwed over more often than not by people like you, because there's a fail healer and a fail DPS that need to be carried, and instead of using a /votekick on one of them to improve the run, we have to waste it on the one douche who can actually pull his own weight before he hearthed out and started trolling us from Stormwind. If we even COULD kick him.
    I don't mind peoples gear if they are doing good enough DPS. But in most cases - as in 9/10 - people in poor gear are performing poorly.
    Last edited by mmoc861630b21f; 2011-11-10 at 02:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to be kicked, at least have the courtesy to hearth out. After a few minutes outside the instance the group will be able to kick you with no penalty to their kick timer, problem solved for you AND them. If you're not doing this, and you're just AFKing inside the instance... well, take your chances. Do it often enough, rack up enough complaints, and a GM could eventually see it as a pattern of behavior and give you a smack on the wrist for consistently hindering other people's progress when you have no intention of playing.

Me? I'd just hope I was on my rogue/hunter so I could MD/Tricks everything I could reach on you until you got the message and either finished or left.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

Yes, if they all report you for going afk on purpose to ruin "their gaming experience" and not leaving etc.
    Its called griefing and THAT IS against the rules.

Serious? I'd rather play with the people you describe, than play with 2 of them and you, and have you slacking and going afk for 15+ (in the least) jesus just grow up and get on with it
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Blizzard should remove ilvl from pvp gear ... cuz what the point ? You need ilvl to enter dungeon or to queue for LFR, but for pvp ? People always measuring each other by rating or amount of resilence.

I just don't fancy carrying people, that's all. I'm at the stage where I could do those heroics with my eyes closed, so why shouldn't I get a group with the same quality as me?
    Solution - Get a group of guildies or friends and stop complaining because that's the only way you will get your way.

To answer your question: If you go 'AFK' on purpose to stop people continuing to do the dungeon, that can be classed as harassment/griefing. Plus you're a dick for doing so. Just kick them, leave yourself... Or you know, help them.

Quote Originally Posted by ssviolett View Post
    Blizzard should remove ilvl from pvp gear ... cuz what the point ? You need ilvl to enter dungeon or to queue for LFR, but for pvp ? People always measuring each other by rating or amount of resilence.
    Because I would still like to be able to enter Heroics on my Bear Druid - PvP gear is better than most gear, including some Firelands stuff.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2011-11-10 at 02:19 PM.

10k DPS in a Zul'aman or Zul'gurub is pathetic. Especially when you can do above 15k DPS in 346 gear regardless of which DPS spec you're using.

I don't mind peoples gear if they are doing good enough DPS. But in most cases - as in 9/10 - people in poor gear are performing poorly.
    And if they're performing poorly, and you don't want to deal with them... instead of continuing the dungeon so they can improve their rotation and gear, you intentionally fuck with them by going AFK and hindering any progress they might get? Yeah, that totally sounds like a way to solve your problem.

Basically, the way I view heroics is this: If I want an easy run, I'll form a full group with guildies and realID friends. Otherwise, I'll go in there, expecting to wipe and trying to be polite, lest I come across a fail-troll like yourself, who would rather fuck over the entire group than actually help out by maybe carrying a low DPS.