Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Update...I decided to powerlevel Alchemy and Inscription since those seemed to be cheapest. I started at 32k gold and by the time I was done with both to 525 I had 23k, so it cost roughly 9k for both. After leveling, I had a crap ton of glyphs and potions etc., and have been listing them at market rates. I'm back to 28k in two days, which only leaves me 4k in the hole and I still have roughly 150 auctions to finish. Thanks for the advice!

Either herb based crafting profession is almost always cheaper than enchanting/tailoring/mining/engineering. Inscription is probably easier up to 450ish because you can essentially use any herb within a level range of herbs to level up, letting you pick and choose whatever is cheapest and most plentiful. Alchemy tends to hit bottlenecks with BC herbs (almost always are extremely expensive) and sometimes with Goldthorn and late Vanilla herbs. Once you hit 450, Alchemy is decent because you are able to use thing like raid potions to get to 525, and those can normally be sold at cost or a slight profit. You can also use Transmute: Living Elements to get you 1 point a day. You actually make a 50-100g profit doing this and converting volatile life into air.

Inscription is terrible past 500 or so; you have to either make your forged documents once a day or pour a lot of gold into crafting crappy blue relics or offhands that do not sell at anything close to the cost of making them these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigchipper View Post
    Update...I decided to powerlevel Alchemy and Inscription since those seemed to be cheapest. I started at 32k gold and by the time I was done with both to 525 I had 23k, so it cost roughly 9k for both. After leveling, I had a crap ton of glyphs and potions etc., and have been listing them at market rates. I'm back to 28k in two days, which only leaves me 4k in the hole and I still have roughly 150 auctions to finish. Thanks for the advice!
    Sounds about right to me. Inscription I found to be more or less cost-neutral, if you sell everything you make while levelling it you break even, or maybe make some gold, depending on your server. Alchemy doesn't recoup its costs as quickly, but is far better for long-term gains, especially in terms of how much time you have to invest. Making money out of Inscription tends to involve lots of AH watching, with Alchemy it's log in, transmute and sell.