Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    If that doesn't make you go nuts I don't know what will

Deleted
    As others have said, the Mass Effect and Fallout series are well worth a look. They may not be exactly what you're looking for, but they're definitely worth playing in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fibby76 View Post
    Hi, long time reader but first time poster here.

I'm stroked for the coming Skyrim game. I've played the other Elder Scrolls games, so I know I'll enjoy this one very much.

Now on to my question: are there any science-fiction themed games like Skyrim? I'd love it if there was games where I could pilot a spaceship to different worlds, asteriods, space stations and get off to explore different enivornments. (Ocean worlds, dry worlds, fire worlds, ice worlds, toxic worlds, alien forest worlds, the possibilities are endless).

The closest thing I could think of is Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect games, both from Bioware. While they are certainly creative in their enivornment design, they are terribly limiting in how free you are to explore. (Not a true sandbox game, in that sense.)

But perhaps I'm missing something out there? Any of you guys aware of a sci-fi sandbox games?

Thanks!
    Fallout 3, New Vegas and Mass Effect mostly.

I heard Kotor is good, although it's old.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't think of any single player games like that, but if you're not afraid of playing online I'd say Eve is probably the closest to what you're looking for.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's an indie scifi game coming out that somewhat fits the criteria with explore-able planets and space stations:
    http://www.salvationprophecy.com/
    Reminds me of starwars battlefront 2 in which you have opposing forces duking it out in both space and land battles. Being made by one guy over the past 4 years and is looking to be close to completion and possibly out next year. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    System Shock has RPG elements :3. Game still scares me when I play it now.

Deleted
    Well, Mass Effect and Kotor are both very different games than Skyrim. No sandbox at all. More comparable to Dragon Age and the great classic party rpgs of the olden days.

while you are able to choose which planets to visit next, the games dont really have a sense of exploration in the way Skyrim does. Mass Effect 2 (ME1 is ok but not that great) is a much more cinematic game than Skyrim will be, more interesting and deep characters, more character development and presumably a much stronger, very dense storyline on top of (from what I have seen in gameplay vids and read in reviews) a much faster paced and dynamic combat. It is an amazing game, probably the best RPG of this generation and the last 10 years tbh but there is no sandbox element to it, it is much shorter than Skyrim and a lot of the rpg elements are very streamlined.

Kotor is similar to ME2 but obviously inferior in all regards gameplay and technical. Amazing story though and it was a truly remarkable experience back in the day.

I am afraid there is nothing quite like what you are looking for.

Sandbox style RPGs are very difficult to pull off (see Morrowind and Oblivion, ambitious but little more)
    If you havent played Fallout 3 and New Vegas, you should, they are the closest you will get in a post-apocalytpic sci-fi setting. They provided a lot of the refined gameplay mechanics and the framework for many of the traits that seem to make Skyrim a much better game than its flawed predeccessor and are good games in their own right, especially New Vegas.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

10+ Year Old Account
    skyrim isnt sci-fi its fantasy

but you can try 2worlds but tis a serious piece of shit and should be put into room 101

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the Fallout series is based on 50's sci-fi. It's a lot different than the standard space opera which makes it a fun break from other games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably just fallout or deus ex

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    skyrim isnt sci-fi its fantasy

but you can try 2worlds but tis a serious piece of shit and should be put into room 101
    He was asking if there are any games that are set in a sci-fi universe that are similar to Skyrim gameplay.

If you can wait a bit, Prey 2 will be open ended much like Skyrim. Albeit you'll be playing as a set character, rather then one you created (much like Dragon Age 2).

I'd um..link the trailer, but kinda can't >.>