Thread: Help Please!

10+ Year Old Account

Help Please!

Ok so i've got a situation with my wife's computer that i haven't been able to figure out yet, and i'm hoping someone can help...

She's got a Dell XPS desktop, its fairly old (5-6 years old)

A while back, i upgraded her 7300LE video card to my old 8800GT.

It was working fine for a while, but after a few months the monitor would randomly just go to sleep. The computer would stay on, but the monitor was in standby. I thought maybe it was the video card, so i put the old one back in (the 7300LE) and it was working fine for a while. After a couple months with that one in, she started getting artifacts on the screen (pink/green squares). It's been getting progressively worse.

I have cleaned out her computer, the PCI slot, all the fans, the video card, etc.

I thought maybe the video card wasnt getting enough power, so i installed a bigger (brand new) power supply. Same problems were happening.

When i put the 8800GT card in the computer will boot up and the monitor will shut off after just a couple minutes. Now, with the 7300LE in, the computer is displaying crazy characters and patterns all over the screen, even before the boot into Windows.

I have also tried a different monitor and monitor cable which i know to be fine, same problem. So its not the monitor or the cable, or the power supply.

I guess its possible that both my video cards are bad? Or maybe the PCI slot itself is bad... (new motherboard)?

Can anyone help?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like you've got two faulting video cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Sounds like you've got two faulting video cards.
    You think this is most likely?

I guess i can try to put the video card into my computer and see if it fails.

Deleted
    Your 7300LE is definitely dying; artifacts appearing is a strong indication. Reasons for the monitor shutting of with the 8800GT could be power shortage (there is a significant difference in power consumed between the 7300LE and the 8800GT; the PSU might not be able to cope with it and when there isn't enough power it shuts off). It could also be dying, which is also a likely cause, but my guess is with the power consumed and the PSU.

If the 8800GT has worked fine before and just suddenly started to act up (in the same titles; doing the same tasks) then it is either the PSU or the 8800GT malfunctioning.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegler View Post
    You think this is most likely?

I guess i can try to put the video card into my computer and see if it fails.
    Test the 8800GT in your computer but chances are you will see the issue persist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Your 7300LE is definitely dying; artifacts appearing is a strong indication. Reasons for the monitor shutting of with the 8800GT could be power shortage (there is a significant difference in power consumed between the 7300LE and the 8800GT; the PSU might not be able to cope with it and when there isn't enough power it shuts off). It could also be dying, which is also a likely cause, but my guess is with the power consumed and the PSU.

If the 8800GT has worked fine before and just suddenly started to act up (in the same titles; doing the same tasks) then it is either the PSU or the 8800GT malfunctioning.
    Thanks.

The original PSU was 375W and like i said it worked for a few months. I put a 460W in there last night and it was still doing it. Shouldnt that be enough power from a brand new PSU to run an 8800GT?

Thanks for the input guys!

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like both cards are dying. Probably better off to just buy a new cheap desktop unless you can find another old video card to pop in there.

EDIT: Just looked up some power requirements on it and both PSUs should be able to handle it unless your CPU just consumes an ungodly amount of power, otherwise you may not be getting enough Amperage from the 12V rail/s in the PSU. I read that a 8800GT needs about 22-24 Amps from the 12V rails. Otherwise, probably just dying cards.
    Last edited by Drashar; 2011-11-10 at 05:51 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    A decent quality 80+ certified 450W power supply is enough. However it is more dependent on the make / model than its advertised wattage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegler View Post
    Thanks.

The original PSU was 375W and like i said it worked for a few months. I put a 460W in there last night and it was still doing it. Shouldnt that be enough power from a brand new PSU to run an 8800GT?

Thanks for the input guys!
    Sounds like both the cards are fried then. I'd advise to check the 8800GT in your own computer just to make sure, but it is most likely toast as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    A decent quality 80+ certified 450W power supply is enough. However it is more dependent on the make / model than its advertised wattage.
    It's Cooler Master, but i dont have the exact model number or specs on me atm.

2 dead video cards in one PC, lets not rule out motherboard issues as well. Definitely test both video cards in a different PC
    I am Dave ! Yognaught, and I have the balls!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsilly View Post
    2 dead video cards in one PC, lets not rule out motherboard issues as well. Definitely test both video cards in a different PC
    Yea, i originally thought it was the motherboard/PCI slot.

I'll try the video cards in my good PC and see what happens.

I'd much rather replace the video card for her than the motherboard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Replaced the video card with a cheap $40 8400GS

worked.

Thanks guys.