A few Steam related questions!

1. Games bought through Steam, ex)Skyrim, will always require me to start up Steam client to play it
    True or False?

2. Such games will always require me to be connected to Internet(Steam server) to be played even if it's a single player game
    True or False?

3. Hard copy version of such games, ex)Skyrim will still require me to have Steam client installed on my computer and an internet connection to be played
    True or False?

Thanks for your help

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    1. True

2. False. Some games you need to be connected to play even the singel player, but I've been able to play many games without it. (ME, ME2, Audiosurf, Shogun 2 TW, others)

3. No idea.

1. True - you can start in offline mode though.
    2. Flase - SP games can be played in offline mode. MP games obviously need internet.
    3. True/False- only if the game has a steam requirement (read - valve or such companies made the game)

1:True
    2: Mostly false, steam has an offline mode that may be used to run games in single player, but it can be a bit finicky at times when starting up
    3: The games (that need it) allow you to install the steam client when you open up their installer. So you put in the disk, get the installer window or something, hit the installer, then the steam installer pops up and you install that, then continue with your installation. This happened to me when installing the orange box.

OH and one note, you can import game files on your computer in to your steam library. If steam has the game on the store you can most likely do that with one on your computer. If you want to know how just PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

So for example, I can install Steam to have the game activated/registered when I first get the game, then simply delete Steam client all together later, IF
    1) I bought the hard copy and
    2) the game does not require Steam?
    Last edited by zeock; 2011-11-10 at 08:32 PM.

I thought you could by-pass steam? I've been playing heroes 6 which i got through steam and i just use the exe file in steam/steamapps/common/game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zeock View Post
    1. Games bought through Steam, ex)Skyrim, will always require me to start up Steam client to play it
    True or False?

2. Such games will always require me to be connected to Internet(Steam server) to be played even if it's a single player game
    True or False?

3. Hard copy version of such games, ex)Skyrim will still require me to have Steam client installed on my computer and an internet connection to be played
    True or False?

Thanks for your help
    1. As others said, true

2. This one is partly true. There is an offline mode, but it requires you to have started the game at least once in online mode. Offline mode is also quite buggy and doesn't always work as intended.

3. I don't know about Skyrim as I haven't read into that game at all, but if it works like for example Modern Warfare 3 then yes, it requires steam to be running to play, even if you buy the hard copy in a store.

Deleted
    With offline mode you normally need to say when connected to your account that next time you'd like it to start up in offline, or else it will get very funky and be very.. steam like .

I believe if you install a game.. Football Manager 2012 for instance, you insert the CD, it will ask you to install steam/activate via steam. Once you've done that, it will open up the steam client when launching the game. Closing the client will cause the game to stop responding (i believe, not 100% on that, more 95%). After that you don't need to use the CD anymore unless you are reinstalling the game and you won't need an internet connection to be active after the first authentication (as long as you're in offline mode).

10+ Year Old Account
    1. True
    2. False
    3. True, but not the internet connection part. You will need Steam though.