Three broken 360's, can I make one useable?

I have three broken 360's, two with RROD, and another with a disc drive that can't read discs. My plan was to take one of the disc drives from an RROD'd box, and stick it in the non RROD'd box.

I'm posting this in the computer section because an xbox is basically a computer, and the people here probably know how this could work.

Is it possible to do this? Would they be compatible? I'm not willing to pay any money to get them fixed, I believe that with the right information I can do it myself. I'm stepping out for a few hours, and would appreciate any info on this. Links to the right sources are fine too. Thanks guys.

Deleted
    I can't really see why it wouldn't work, my question though is how'd they all break O.o

Also if you do this it'll void any warrenty and that will mean you can't send any in for repairs, however if say you picked em all up cheap second hand then i suppose you've got nothing to lose :P

Maybe something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqqWUrQ3e2A

Didn't really watch it all so not sure if it'll help you.

10+ Year Old Account
    would be simpler to fix the rrod then to swap the dvd-rom

If I recall correctly, it is possible but not as easy as a swap out. You would think it is, but I believe the drives have some type of key which is locked to the motherboard (if they don't match up, they won't run). You would have to spoof the drive to fit the good 360. What this means is that you would need both dvd keys and since you can't get at least one of the keys due to it being RROD, I believe you are out of luck. It's been a while since I have done any spoofing, but that's the concept.

You are better off just fixing the RROD. It's about $5 to fix (just basically need some washers) and you will be back up in no time.

Deleted
    Check the date your RROD 360's were made and check to see if they are covered by a re-call i had one fixed free by microsoft they sent courier to pick it up and they brought it back a few weeks later good as new with 1 years warranty

Two are mine, one I bought in 2006, had it fixed once and it worked till 2009, when I bought a second one that worked until this January. The third belonged to a friend of mine, who didn't care to have it fixed and just gave it to me.

I checked all three with M$ and they told me they're too old, and that they'd fix them for 80 bucks each. I voided them after that call by tinkering with them. Whatever option I decide on, they're all ready to go, the cases are open.

Thanks for the replies, but can someone link some guides or websites that can instruct me on how to do these methods? You guys mentioned that fixing the RROD would be easier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Xbox(es? s'? What is the plural for this?) that are RROD are always under manufacturer warranty. Just specify that it was RROD that caused the problem and they will fix it for free as well as 1 free month XBL Gold.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've fixed 2 xbox's watching vids on Youtube. Deffinetly worth a try.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

You need to clone the unique drive key from one DVD reader by reading the BIOS and flashing it into another drive. It's possible, but far from easy.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

You might be able to do this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5822123_chan...drive-key.html

The RROD units probably require a reball service, which I wouldn't say is easier.

Try using different power bricks with each unit, RROD was being caused on 2 of my units(both a couple of years old) by the power supply, I had tried everything but had never thought to try them with different power supplies.

Now all 3 of mine work, just have 1 faulty Power brick that I won't be using or needing.

10+ Year Old Account
    i've done it downrange before, with 3 RROD thru completly tearing apart I managed to get one to work. didnt have a cover on the CD drive so you could see the CD spinning but it worked.